Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • CRC Builith Wells thread! Anyone else take a slight detour?
  • postierich
    Free Member

Great course but some slight signage problems just down from the last feed station on the 70K route came to a wood with signs going left and right there were a fair few riders in the distance that had taken the left I waited for a group of riders to turn up and the majority took the left.The right was part of the night ride and presumed they had left the signs up cracking bit of singletrack but I and a load others did not do it so take the "results with a pinch of salt" told the organisers to rub mine nah mind cracking riding and weather 😀
    A few pics

Rich

dickydutch

Looks like it was a cracking weekend weatherwise anyway!

Celery
    Free Member

The right turn was the correct way. It led you on a lap of the woods. I spoke to a marshall at that sign post.

postierich
    Free Member

Gutted I missed the woods bit,should have been a marshall there!

Surfr
    Free Member

Only did the 50k which was perfectly signed. Great event and a first for me. Route was brilliant and the decents were empty at the back 🙂 pay off for being slow. Weather could not have been better.

vdubber67
    Free Member

If you went through the woods, it hooked you up with the 'left turn' in the end.

Surfr
    Free Member

Any ideas who thecphotographers were? Can't find the info on the site

mwleeds

Route was brilliant

Lol at Surfr.

Great weather, good banter, average (I'm being kind) route.

Do the Dyfi Surfr, that's always brilliant.

nickc

Just followed the signs so did the bit through the woods, it was ace. haven't done a marathon in ages, forgot how grumpy some people are. Apart from that, can't go wrong with free jelly babies, and the sun shining.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Best bit of the track was that wooded section! That and the free jelly babies sign. TBH as far as marathons/70k rides go can't say it was the most enjoyable of rides all open grass trails… would have been nice to have had some variation. But was satisfying none the less!

Also rather enjoyed the final decent down to the road on the 70k rout!

any ideas of where/when the times will be posted + photos obviously!

gothandy

Great ride today, I didn't spot the odd sign situation around the woods, but did love that section. Here is some uncut video of the start.

Should be another video up a bit later with a few more bits and pieces from the race.

I think results will be on the main site.

http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/results/results.php

And the photos should be avaiable here.

http://www.rightplacerighttime.co.uk/future_events.html

Nezbo
    Free Member

Great Event, as well organised as usal.

Shame CRC had borught not very much stock. I forgot my summer gloves and CRC had none, so i had to use my winter gloves :'(

my time was 3hr 42mins for the 70k 🙂

xc-steve
    Free Member

@Nezbo did you do the wooded section though huh huh huh?! Think I was about 10min later really missed my granny ring on some of those hills! Hope you weren't one of the riders hanging onto the van at the start!

Nezbo
    Free Member

Did the full thing mate 🙂 I think…

what distance did you get in miles?

Na not stuck to the back of the van, I would if i could have got past the pack, got a bit boxed in 🙁

Rorschach
    Free Member

The first 7k being on road (and slightly downhill) was a bit of a hinderance on the ss,spinning like a loon.Then having to pick my way past scores of people on the first climb-not my best result (3.37 on my computer) but a cracking day out.A lot of the course seemed to be on permissive stuff rather than bridleways (did'nt stop the motorbikes!) but will be back for an explore very soon.Antone got a tracklogs v2 file for the 70k?

postierich
    Free Member

Rorschach not many proper SS out there just the big wheeled type 😉 were you one of them?

xc-steve
    Free Member

Didn't have any computers on me annoyingly forgot my heart rate monitor and can't find a GPS app for my phone (palm pre). As a result of not knowing distances messed my gels up and used to many of them up to soon (thanks to the early first feed station confusing me!)

I was in the group just behind the first group, was an interesting experience being in such a tight group on a road thinking if I mess up now I'm going to have a lot of annoyed riders behind me! Would have been quite comical mind.

postierich
    Free Member

People used GELS 😯

Nezbo
    Free Member

xc-steve – i got my feed stratigy ok this time, i was just in need of some more water 🙁 I think we must have been in the same group 🙂 luckly as MTB'ers we would have used you as a ramp hehe

Surfr
    Free Member

mwleeds not sure why you are laughing. It was indeed a great route out on moorland and grassy decents. We don't have that sort of thing around here. It's all Forest climbs and rocky singletrack or doubletrack decents. I've done the Dyfi and I'm doing it again this year. I'm a local though so that sort of thing is the norm to me like I just mentioned. Builth managed to provide what in my mind I think of as a more traditional XC style route. Hence I enjoyed it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Have the two guys in white in the very first pic had a lovers tiff?

God, I hope they weren't that glum all day!

xc-steve
    Free Member

But the guy on the far right makes up for it with his happyness! look at that smile! He must whiten his teeth!

DaveGr
    Free Member

I quite like the Builth courses but then I like the traditional cross country riding. A few people got lost on the night ride as well – heard of some not finding the feed station and others not finding the woods !!!!

I managed both night and day courses in their entirety and am putting my rather poor position in the "results" down to others taking short cuts and not <cough> my lack of speed 😉

whytetrash

Yep that woods bit was a puzzler…glad I did it as was really fun…that climb up after it was a killer though. I really enjoyed the route…classic XC feel like Nant Y Arian in places. Sunburn was unexpected though!..5hrs 34 for me for 70k…biggest off roadride since the diabetes started so was happy with that!

wonnyj
    Free Member

I think Jonathan Pugh on the left is always that grumpy. Looked about the same after winning the transwales last year.

nickc

There was some epic grumpiness going on.. 😀

Oh and top marks to the SS'ers tough old climbs…nice one

wonnyj
    Free Member

Early season innit. Everyone struggles at the first couple of events

Rorschach
    Free Member

postierich-yeah I got the holy trinity thing going aswell (rigid/wagonwheel/ss).Was frantically looking round for other muppets to cling to for moral support at the start,where were you hiding?Not an ideal ss course really-but then is anything!!!!

mwleeds

Builth managed to provide what in my mind I think of as a more traditional XC style route. Hence I enjoyed it.

That's why I thought it was less than brilliant, but I can see were you're coming from. I still think a local (not restricted by having to contruct a loop 50km or 70km long with roughly Xm of climbing) could come up with something much more efficient! I guess I'm just used to the kind of riding where EVERY up has a purpose beyond adding a few Km's 🙂

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

ELBNO pics now online – http://www.rightplacerighttime.co.uk

Hopefully CRC pics available by tomorrow night (just adding all the numbers)

Activecycles
    Free Member

The signage was a bit confusing prior to the wooded section. It was fortunate that I remembered it from the night before – one of the best sections of the entire course – would of been interesting if it were wet though! Great weekend apart from I should of checked for the instructions to my new awning for the van prior to arrival – resulting in a rubbish nights sleep in the back of the van!!!

sidv
    Free Member

I went left so cut the woods out. Very annoyed with myself as I stood checking with about 15+ other riders before we all went left (straight on really). Grrzzzzzzz. A great day out though. I could have done with riding a bit more aggressively but it was just too nice. What weather!

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

CRC pics now also online – http://www.rightplacerighttime.co.uk

schpleep
    Free Member

Anyone else on here in the group of ~30 of us that went straight on at the same sign on the Saturday night? I've got no idea how or where we joined the trail again but I reckon it added 20-30mins to our times.

Luckily it was a nice night for a random ride in the hills but my legs were feeling the extra miles on Sunday.

postierich
    Free Member

Only one pic of me I think around the 50k mark
    Some great pics
    rightplacerighttime.co.uk

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

I'm gutted, the pic of me at the same place is crap (it's taken from miles away), and the guy on the last descent took one of me which should have been sweet, but I guessed he must have cocked it up, as it ain't up there. Either that or my face broke the camera…
    Great event though. The issue with the woods signage was sorted by the time I wheezed round there.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

DIrtyLyle, what was your number? Always interested in feedback!

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

1184. Just found another pic of me, er, not looking at the camera at the finish. Not moaning (much), as I know it's not the easiest environment to take pictures in, I'm just bitter as there's 2 good shots of my mate in there.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

DirtyLyle,

Maybe the pic doesn't look so good in the preview, but have a look at it here fullsize. You will find you can zoom in and still have something more like the other pic that you like and certainly usable for web or small print – if you buy the enlargement size pic and crop it (though I think it looks OK with the background scenery).

Will have a look for the other pic later, but as you surmise, it might have been crap as people were coming down there at about 40 mph.

molgrips
    Free Member

RPRT – I have some more feedback for you. In the only pic of me (2307) I look really fat. That can't be right, I suggest you check the settings on your camera.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘CRC Builith Wells thread! Anyone else take a slight detour?’ is closed to new replies.