Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Crashing: Not Fun – it's official!
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Event: Got popped over the bars on Sunday when my front wheel refused to roll over a large rock that somehow got in the way riding down a steep slope.

Result: Big-rock-face-interface-experience and splashes of blood dripping onto the frame while riding along afterward indicated a trip to A&E was probably necessary – to get my chin sewn up.

Outcome: Some lovely nauseating pain and an 'awesome' mountain biking facial injury that will probably leave me with a fairly prominent scar for the rest of my life. 😕

Crashing is actually not fun. At all.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that – sounds sore, but we really do need pics… 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

You were alone?

Could have been so much worse…a wee scar on the chin is getting off pretty lightly IMO

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yeah, pics please.

I've been sticking to the sheets since an embarrassing off in the park on Saturday . . .

No kids on the twisty mossy paved eversoslightly downhill path . . . check
    Crank up speed ready to zip around tennis courts at bottom corner . . . check
    Full body surf -> wondering exactly how much skin I'm gonna lose and when will I stop . . . check 😕

Character building I reckon.

stratobiker
    Free Member

No it's not official, I disagree…..

Event – Spontaneous Random Dismount causing body rock interface.

Result – Broken bones

Outcome – Treatment by French paramedic team. Superb.
    Ambulance ride to hospital. Great fun. Sirens and lights on although not needed, for 'voiture presidential'.
    Examination by lovely lady doctor. Swoon. I fell in love!

OK, so the weeks of not riding after weren't much fun.
    SB 🙂

jackal
    Free Member

ohhh, pics please.

I'm still off the bike and off work after crashing on the 20th june, fracturing my spine in two places and having 2 ti rods screwed to it spanning across 6 vertebrae (t3-t8) to stabilise it and a bone graft chipped from my hip, definitely not fun 😆

But;

Character building I reckon.

Which is very true.

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

😀

chvck
    Free Member

I'm with the OP!

Event – Crashing into a tree (no idea how it happened really!)

Result – Fractured Radius

Outcome – Sitting on the top of the hill whilst the guys did another run, planning to join them on the next run. They return and I decide we should go to A&E, cue pushing bike to A&E. Hours spent in hospital whilst they x-ray etc… Then, currently, a month with no biking 🙁

crispybacon
    Free Member

no_eyed_dear was it as bad as this little 'scratch' courtesy of a high speed Dartmoor facial 😕

This is me one week later, one tip is to keep the scabs moisturized to stop the deep scarring

Good luck & don't forget to post a pic of your wound

slowrider
    Free Member

jeez that second injury looks horrific!

IGMC

crispybacon
    Free Member

jeez that second injury looks horrific!

'err Thanks mate 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

ooops

DannyLeigh
    Free Member

I'm still off the bike and off work after crashing on the 20th june, fracturing my spine in two places and having 2 ti rods screwed to it spanning across 6 vertebrae (t3-t8) to stabilise it and a bone graft chipped from my hip, definitely not fun.

Snap with that date, except I ruptured my spleen, I'm off the bike for 6 months, how long are you off for?

anokdale
    Free Member

Healing vibes to you guys with smashed backs and ruptured spleens, Ouch !

devs
    Free Member

I had 2 OTBs in the same place on Laggan black yesterday. It was on a bit I've never had a problem with before and would consider it to be an easy bit compared to the rest. The wierd bit is I have no scratches, no bruises and don't even feel slightly stiff today. I must be getting really good at falling off. 😕

Bush
    Free Member

Junkyard, nice little wound you got there !!

Looks like you were Glassed !!

B.

jackal
    Free Member

I'm still off the bike and off work after crashing on the 20th june, fracturing my spine in two places and having 2 ti rods screwed to it spanning across 6 vertebrae (t3-t8) to stabilise it and a bone graft chipped from my hip, definitely not fun.

Snap with that date, except I ruptured my spleen, I'm off the bike for 6 months, how long are you off for?

Ruptured your spleen, how you manage that one?

6 months post op before i can ride full on dh too, so prob be next year eh 😕

I'm off work until at least the end of september (lucky enough to get paid sick tho), prob start doin some gentle xc fire road type stuff then as well, only just managed in last couple of week to start using the turbo trainer.

You recovering well?

😀

DannyLeigh
    Free Member

I managed it on a Bullwell BMX track and I think I hit the last 'bump' of a double and went over the bars. I landed on my head and body and split my full face. I can't really remember because I passed out as soon as I landed and woke up a few minutes later.

But yeah thanks I'm recovering quite well I can ride around the street but nothing proper yet.

How did you do your back?

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

depends how much armour ur wearing…

jackal
    Free Member

Riding DH thru a tight wooded section coming upto a jump. Can't really remember it too well but think i lightly clipped one tree on the right, fired me across to the left, hit a tree on the left with the bars quite hard, which spat me over the bars head on into the next tree which suprisingly didn't move. Knocked me out for a couple of seconds too.
    Got airlifted as well because the ambulance wouldn't take me back up the rough track..

😀

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Slow reply I know! …Living in Tasmania, Australia at the mo', so I'm a few timezones away.

Pics:

Hard to make out – but the first is a rather shoddy screen grab from my mobile phone. Note the mud! I carried on riding for about 1 hr after the 'off', as I didn't think it was all that serious – and got the wound covered in mud as a result. The guy in A&E spent about 30 mins actually pulling it apart and cleaning the mud out of it.. Owwwch..! (Much to his derision.) The photo was taken while cold, shivering and probably a little in shock at the time – and waiting for my lift to arrive (who was, inevitably, late!). And yes – I was on my own! I couldn't find a mirror anywhere and I knew something felt damp and fleshy down there, but I just thought it was probably a bad graze – I couldn't quite work out what was going on when I saw the photo. Little did I realise that my chin was kinda hanging off…

….and the aftermath. Back home, clean, dry and kinda sore. It doesn't look too bad in this photo, I suppose – yet!

I was riding the same tracks the Aussie MTB squad train on – and having waay too much fun. I think that's why I came off. It was so much like the 'European' style of singletrack riding I'm used to from the UK – which is why they train here. Unfortunately rocks are – and probably always will be – my nemisis. Bastard things..!

Toddboy
    Free Member

I'm not convinced, looks like an elostaplast and tomato sauce to me 😆

kiwijohn

Where in Tassie are you? I'm in South Hobart

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Hi kiwij – I'm in North Hobart, so we're practically neighbours!

If you wanna meet up for a ride sometime – get in touch via: alan.jones@imperial.ac.uk 🙂

kiwijohn

Sweet. I usually ride wednesday nights with the crew from Cyclingo.
    Which reminds me, I better go & see if my wheel is fixed yet.
    Where were you riding when you axed yourself?

LMT
    Free Member

I had an off a while ago, hit a hole in the fireroad of all places, front wheel got stuck, i hit the deck turned out to be a slab of concrete. Concussion for quite a few weeks, over 18 stitches in my chin and above my top lip, still scarred and will be with me for the rest of my life but gives me something to talk about in the pub!

Took me ages to get my confidence back out on the trails but now a few months later im nearly back to my usual self!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Cool kiwij… I'll have to try to hook up with you guys at Cyclingo sometime..

I was riding up at Launceston – apparently the pretty much superb trails in the hills near the gorge area are where the Aussi MTB team train.

Catch you later, maybe..!

runswithscissors

Wife's leg after crash at Afan….Nine days in hospital, six screws, 22 stiches and four months off bike not fun for sure!!!!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Oooowch… That looks BAAAAD 😕

runswithscissors

yep….broke ankle bone clean off and ribbon fracture to fibia.!!

Gambo
    Free Member

Out with a mate Saturday morning. On way down skyline (jetlag section) rockstops front whell dead. He goes over the bars, loud ouch. Broken wrist. Looks like an 'S' bend. Not good. 🙁

grumm
    Free Member

I don't think I like mountain biking any more. Going to take up knitting or something.
    😐

bigyinn
    Free Member

Oh hello dinner! cough! gag! retch!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Crashing: Not Fun – it's official!’ is closed to new replies.