Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • conti speed kings 2.1 – views / experiences?
  • snowpaul
    Free Member

I have got some of these in kevlar coming my way – are they any good?

cheers

paul

cupra
    Free Member

Most peeple slate them, I love them in drier conditions.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a set. Fast and light, Only any good in the dry. needs high pressures as well IMO

stumpy01

I've got the cheapy steel ones and I like them, but they are a git to get on and off my rims.

If you end up doing a fair amount of road stints on them don't expect the rear to last long & the same goes for riding in mainly rocky locations.

ononeorange

As above really plus they puncture constantly. They really do prove the worth of tubeless set-ups (which I went to in complete frustration with the sheer number of punctures I had). That aside, great in the dry.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've run the Supersonics right through the winter and I think they're the best light all-weather tyre I've used (definitely not just a dry weather tyre like Ralphs). They need to be run at 50psi as recommended and like that I've not found them particularily puncture prone.

I've got a set of the non-Supersonic folders on my Zion but haven't been using them long enough to tell for sure but they seem ok so far.

sandwicheater

Don't last long, not very happy in the wet & prone to pinch punctures.

nickc

Run them at 50 psi. I had too many punctures. Missus has them now, and in 18 months or so they've been good as gold

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yeah,great tyre.I use them as an intermediate tyre,spring/summer and autunm/winter and sometimes in winter.Great when conditions are unpredictable.Good i find find when damp with a bit of mud.Running the Supersonic 2.1 with ultralite tubes and a bit of latex.No punctures yet and been running them 35 psi front and 40 psi rear.
    Thanx Max

stumpy01

Only any good in the dry. needs high pressures as well IMO

I agree with the second bit, but not the first. I have used mine all year round pretty much and didn't bother swapping over to winter tyres this winter just gone as the Speed Kings seem to work as well as anything else.

retro83
    Free Member

Are oe ones different to aftermarket? Friend of mine has some oe and the centre knobs have started falling off!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I found them fairly useless in peat / mud or on wet grass. Just my experience. I have put them back on the bike now tho

stumpy01

Are oe ones different to aftermarket? Friend of mine has some oe and the centre knobs have started falling off!

What are the ground conditions like where he rides and does he do fair amounts of linking road bits?

I did one road ride (30 miles) on my Speed Kings and pretty much halved the height of the knobbles on the rear tyre. They also get shredded pretty quickly in rocky terrain.

Dinger
    Free Member

Loved the tyres for grip in the dry but had plenty of punctures, I ran the pressures at 45.

Gone back to Cinders now, much happier for all around use

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘conti speed kings 2.1 – views / experiences?’ is closed to new replies.