Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 245 total)
  • Commuter "Non Cyclists" W@nkers
  • MartinGT
    Free Member

It’s these guys that give the real cyclists amongst us bad names. Cycling home last night a guy went through a red and nearly got hit, then did some mad undertaking a bus move and nearly got squished.

I went past him and said to him “Be careful of undertaking buses mate” I didnt want to mention the red light. He was listening to an MP3 player so wasnt happy he had to take his earphones out and shouted “**** off Lycra boy, who are you, the police?”

Its plonkers like this who give us a bad reputation man. If its a red light, stop. You’re a vehicle, you’re on the road, stop. Its not working for NASA it’s simple rules of the road!

*sigh* that is all really, just wanted a rant. I cycle into Leeds every day, so it’s not as bad as some of the guys who cycle into London.

Stay safe guys.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Why not just ignore him and let Darwin take care of him?

Seriously not worth getting bothered about he’ll been taken out the gene pool soon enough.

DezB
    Free Member

Personally, find the car drivers worse than the non-cyclist cyclists. Drivers put me in danger, idiots on bikes are just a danger to themselves and I don’t care about them.

joao3v16
    Free Member

If its a red light, stop. You’re a vehicle, you’re on the road, stop. Its not working for NASA it’s simple rules of the road!

Pop-corn? Check
    Beer? Check
    Comfy chair? Check

Right, carry on…

fadda

Not great, is it?

Properly spelt and punctuated, without random capitals.

3/10

bikebouy
    Free Member

Phah,

I nearly got squished last night too whilst out on my late afternoon ride.. Simple enough, a guy pulled out on a roundabout and didn’t see me..

Just a normal day then..

I too have a large coffee and some toast and just about to recline and wait for the barrage of..

Tut, tut’s

MartinGT
    Free Member

I would agree with letting them get squished and the shocking drivers. BUT, when I see something like that I feel I have a responsibility to educate people.

loddrik
    Free Member

I run red lights and undertake. I make no apologies for it.

MartinGT
    Free Member

0/10

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I cycle with the aim of being safe not of obeying stupid road law that increases danger for cyclists because it was made without cyclists in mind.

MartinGT
    Free Member

So going through a red light is “safe” Chapeau to you then lad.

backhander
    Free Member

Don’t blame you. If I was in Liverpool I wouldn’t stop either.

donsimon
    Free Member

what’s a non-cyclist cyclist?
    Guy on a bike= cyclist.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sometimes it is safer than waiting because it means you are not mixed up in traffic but have a clear road for the next junction / danger spot. I know of several places where this is true

nedrapier

And we’re off…

I also undertake (filter, call it what you like) and run red lights.

ton

i am with teej on this.
    self preservation innit……….. 😀

wallace1492
    Free Member

Most, if not all road law’s are not stupid, they are there for the common good of all. It is when vehicles do not give space or respect for cyclists that things become dangerous.

Far too many poor motorists on the roads that should not be there.

I normally obey lights, laws of the road, but find there is an occassion when I break the “rules” in order to be safer.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Wow – thanks loddrik, tandem, nedrapier – and we wonder why motorists give cyclists a hard time. Thanks to the minority we all face unnecessary aggro on the roads. Time to grow up?

MartinGT
    Free Member

The light/road in question TJ has a cycle lane. The guy shot out as he had a clear run due to the cycle lane and caused a car which was passing to slam on, is this “safe”?

There are times when its safe to undertake nedrapier, I do it myself, but, only when I know the driver has seen me, i.e the car has physically moved over or waved me through, or when there is a big enough gap and I know I can physically get past. This guy last night, undertook a bus that was half in traffic, half on the bus lane pulling out. He undertook it, then then traffic was merging in. All it took was a 1 min wait and he wouldnt of had to make a stupid move.

We seem to need to be at XYZ location NOW in this country, slow down, you’ll get there!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I find the lycra clad are equally bad – rubbish road positioning, poor rearward observation, aggressive riding.

Teamhurtmore – so I should put myself at risk then to satisfy you?

I do not jump red lights for my convenience, I do it for my safety

supercyril
    Free Member

How much time per week do I need to spend cycling to be classed as a cyclist? I was ill last week and didn’t use my bikes, do I need to retrain?

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

i’m pretty sure it’s legal to undertake in most situations, though i always find it a bit risky – prefer to overtake down the middle personally.

Spin
    Free Member

“It’s these guys that give the real cyclists amongst us bad names.”

http://tinyurl.com/62cx67x

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

I do not jump red lights for my convenience, I do it for my safety

really!?

you will mostly out-accelerate a car from a stop.. suppose you might get a bit of open road after the junction.. what’s the argument there?

personally i do it cos i like hooring it about really fast.

mcobie
    Free Member

“Proper” cyclists do stupid things too you know. Night before last, turning right at lights with a central reservation. As the lights turned green I moved off, and suddenly there was a cyclist on the wrong side of the road (i.e. other side of the central reservation) appears next to me 😯 Luckily I spotted him and managed to stop so he could swerve around the front of me.

It’s actions like that, that make people p*ssy towards cyclists IMO…*image for representation only – there was no van as shown in image…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I ride on the pavements. I’ll start obeying the law when car drivers do.

nedrapier

thm. You’ve no idea what I do and when and how I do it. I would be amazed if my actions caused any aggro at all in any driver, pedestrian or cyclist around me. Being considerate to other road users is at the top of my list of priorities (and that includes avoiding the aggro that me being under their wheels or across their bonnet would cause).

MartynS

run red lights if you want, but don’t have a go at pedestrians crossing on the green man getting in your way, you might get pushed off next time….

pascoa341
    Free Member

How much time per week do I need to spend cycling to be classed as a cyclist? I was ill last week and didn’t use my bikes, do I need to retrain?

Just wear lycra and swear at anyone else if they dare to get in your way, that’s what real “cyclists” do!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Guy on a bike= cyclist.

person you sexist

Thanks to the minority we all face unnecessary aggro on the roads. Time to grow up?

yes the shot cyclists face on a daily basis from car driver is not at all caused by bad car drivers, lack of respect, courtesy or obeying the laws of the road.It is quite clearly the direct consequence of the fact other cyclist occasionally break the law. if the y stopped not cyclist would ever have any trouble.
    I stop at all red lights bar one. to stop at that one is more dangerous for me and it would hold up car drivers. i tend to obey the rule sunless it is more dangerous for me to obey them in which case I dont.
    Bad cyclists dont help but lets be honest there is at least the same % of bad car drivers from what I see on the roads.

nedrapier

MartinGT, I’m not sure how we got down this road, I also hate watching people riding like tools and looking like they’ve got no idea about the risks of their actions.

Not cool, specially if they’re riding aggressively, so you know they’re making those choices and think they’re good/invincible enough to get away with it, and no amount of pointing out is going to make a difference. Hopefully they’ll get a close call and calm down a bit.

MartinGT
    Free Member

nedrapier, I would agree with the respecting the drivers etc and self preservation.

As its said time and time again, the amount of shocking drivers definatley out weighs the amount of bad cyclists.

I just feel were waaaaaay out numbered and actions like this plonker dont help our cause.

nedrapier

MartynS – Member
    run red lights if you want, but don’t have a go at pedestrians crossing on the green man getting in your way, you might get pushed off next time….

Never would, I never ride though lights if there are any cars or peds around who’ve got right of way. It’s about being considerate. you’d have no right to get annoyed about pedestrians stepping off the pavement without looking if you’ve just pushed through a load crossing on green.

pascoa341
    Free Member

Just out of interest, whereabouts in Leeds was it?

MartinGT
    Free Member

Kirkstall Road

will
    Free Member

See it far too much in London. Quite often it’s probably ok to cross on a red but I just can’t bring myself to do it! Just makes drivers hate you more in my opinion!

It’s stupid drivers that worry me more though!

loddrik
    Free Member

Tbh I couldn’t give a toss what motorists (of which I am one) think of me, it’s about self preservation first and foremost, of that means flouting the highway code then so be it.

As someone who was neartly killed by a motorist and spent 6 months on crutches as a result, I reiterate that I make no apologies…

GlitterGary
    Free Member

“**** off Lycra boy, who are you, the police?”

Quote of the week!

😆

MartinGT
    Free Member

I did chuckle myself. I wasnt being nasty, I was only saying be careful. If I had called him a “Twunt” and given him abuse, then fair play.

nedrapier

been undertaking busses pascoa341? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 245 total)

The topic ‘Commuter "Non Cyclists" W@nkers’ is closed to new replies.