Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cheshire Cat
  • iDave
    Free Member

Anyone else do it? I did the 78miler – cracking route, gorgeous weather, a bit grippy but felt great, in fact felt best I’ve done on a bike for 20 years.

samuri
    Free Member

Had something else on. Still did a hundred miles though.

carlos
    Free Member

Nah, wanted too but already signed up for sport relief.

Great day for it though.

mt
    Free Member

well done iDave. you must have had a brilliant day wish I could have done it myself.

iDave
    Free Member

<pride>
    I know it’s not a ‘race’, but Mrs iDave has only owned a bike for 4 weeks and was the 10th fastest woman round the 47 mile route.
    </pride>

warton
    Free Member

good stuff. done the cheshire cat once a couple of years ago, i enjoyed it. (i did the 104 route) after mow cop and a couple of other climbs in the first 30 miles or so its pretty flat and fast

AndyP
    Free Member

It’s not been the same since they changed the course in 2010. Much more challenging before that 🙁
    Still looks a nnice day out, mind.

fubar
    Free Member

Have they managed to reduce the amount of queuing / waiting at the start and finish this year ? The organisation at the start and finish was poor last year so I wasn’t in a rush to repeat it.

tthew

I did it a few years ago, nice day out but personally I think the commercial sportives are really expensive. It’s nearly £30 per person isn’t it?? To ride on public roads with only a timing chip, bit of food and thin energy drink and cheap medal to show for it.

Similar events organised by cycle clubs, reliability rides, Audax are all very similar events at fractions of the price.

iDave
    Free Member

There was no queue to start, I set off with 4 other blokes, seemed very well organised. I did it as part of my job. No complaints apart from the number of selfish bastards who drop gel sachets.

fubar
    Free Member

no queue to start

Wow, what time did you start ?
    I’d be tempted to give it another go next year if they’ve improved the start. Last year I must have spent the best part of an hour shuffling along just to get through the start timing gate (but still enjoyed the ride)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I did it, the first 40 miles were brutal but the last 60 was really good. Me and a few lads from the club got on the rivet for the last 60 miles and really hammered it out.

And I cleared Mow Cop. 😀

iDave
    Free Member

they had a staggered start system, I was to start at 10, rolled up at quarter to and set off.

Me and a few lads from the club got on the rivet for the last 60 miles and really hammered it out.

Yes, I remember passing you… 😉

I was surprised/chuffed I got up Mow Cop without a compact chainset.

AndyP
    Free Member

Mow Cop is a piece of p1ss really, though, isn’t it? Especially if there’s anyone outside the pub then you *have* to put on a show. The only down side is the sort of muppet who ‘tacks’ across the road repeatedly with no consideration of anyone else. Hit it, hold the line, get it bagged, get ready for Macc Forest and Swiss Hill.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

The only down side is the sort of muppet who ‘tacks’ across the road repeatedly with no consideration of anyone else.

In my case that muppet was a youth in a ford Ka burning his clutch out on the steepest bit and rolling backwards every time the handbrake came off. 😯

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

iDave you were about 7 mins faster than me, I’m blaming wine somehow. We should’ve ridden it together… reckon we’d have knocked a fair bit of time off if we’d shared the work!

There are a few silly fast times though!

iDave
    Free Member

There are about 10-12 totally unfeasible times, I expect they got sick or something and returned to base early.

I only had someone to ride with for about 5 miles, and it definitely helped. I think a lower gear would have been better to spin up the hills too. Or more fitness maybe.

You can’t blame wine unless you drank more than me, which you didn’t

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Let’s knock off the first 9 times… so you came in 17th and me 27th.

If wine’s out.. I blame smoking then.

ahwiles
    Free Member

iDave – Member

Anyone else do it?

no, but i do drink it:

lovely stuff!

iDave
    Free Member

From the times I saw I’d knock off anything below the chap who did 3’33”

So I came 14th (yes folks, I know it’s not a race)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m thinking of doing the Motion in Mercia one, without wine.

iDave
    Free Member

I was with you there until the no wine thing….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

A little less wine? And more carbs?

iDave
    Free Member

more carbs = bad

I might be free that day. Will consider options.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cool let me know. I’m going for the 90 miler with a pocket full of pork pies.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cheshire Cat’ is closed to new replies.