Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Chapel gate- what states it in?
  • pinch_flat
    Free Member

So I went over to the top of chapel gate and looking down it I couldn’t see much changed. Has anyone gone down it recently? has anything been done to it? or have they simply closed it for 8 months and done nothing?

nbt

it’s been completely rebuilt, I’ve not ridden it for years but you can see it from the Greenlands climb and Hollins Cross, it’s just a big sandy track now

crazy-legs

Went down it on Tuesday night, first time I’ve been down it in many years. It’s fine, it’s just a double track now, no ridges of tarmac or anything. Flat out descent but not technical or anything. Couple of muddy patches when we did it but not bad.

pinch_flat
    Free Member

So they’ve completely killed it then? Theres a sign at the top that talks about turning it into a paved path, why? I’ve never met any walkers on the path, yes the 4×4 are annoying because they are in the way but they helped to make the path the excellent technical downhill it was. Anyone know why they felt this was necessary?

crazy-legs

It’s a RUPP or BOAT or whatever the term is. The local authority are repsonsible for ensuring that it is suitable for use as such and until recently it wasn’t with the mass of tarmac ridges, ruts, rocks etc. It needed a complete overhaul. Give it a few years it’ll have weathered in again.

pinch_flat
    Free Member

Its a by way right? or is the BOAT or RUPP classification different? I can’t see how it wasn’t fit for purpose- who else other than mountain bikers, walkers and 4x4s going to use it? theres no reason those groups couldn’t use it.

nbt

it’s not about who’s *going* to use it it’s about who’s *allowed* to use it, and it has vehicular rights therefore it has to be passable in a vehicle. Sadly the law explicitly states that bikes need not be taken into account when determining a suitable surface for a track.

pinch_flat
    Free Member

what vehicles? Not cars surely? It has been passable up and down by 4×4 and motorbikes. I can’t understand what other vehicles they think would be using it.

nbt

it doesn’t matter what you or they *think* will be using it, that’s the point. it needs to meet a required standard. that standard is not what you or I want, obviously, but as crazy legs says, in two or three years you won’t know it’s been done – sadly, as they’ve spent a lot of money

richpips
    Free Member

Flat out descent but not technical or anything

Have you already forgotten those humungous drainage channels?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Chapel gate- what states it in?’ is closed to new replies.