Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cassettes, SRAM or Shimano?
  • MicArms

Go on then, whats your pref? Seeing SRAM 9 speed PG 970 cassettes for 20 quid on a few websites, worth the dosh when compared to shimano deore?

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have used both and they work equally well in my opinion
    I have not used the budget models of either maufacturer…dont they have a large weight penalty?

anto164
    Free Member

IIRC, the SRAM cassettes last a little longer. When comparing the 970 to the deore, i’d get the 970.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Suggsey
    Free Member

Just on my first SRAM cassette having always used Shimano and I like the fact that they seem to get jammed up with crap as easy as the shimano ones (think its because of the construction of the cheaper ones (appears to have more material cut away on the mounting spider).
    Performance of shifting-cant tell any difference.
    I saw them for £20 and nearly bought one just as a spare.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Preference only to price and whether I want a fancy coloured spider but **** buying sram 10 speed when slx is 38.99. £10 cheaper than sram PG1070.

br
    Free Member

Shimano, lighter.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Might be worth checking the ratios, I’ve noticed on some SRAM the spacing between gears is way less consistent percentage wise than Shimano’s, and seeing as that is very reason for having the gears, worth looking into.

Ambrose

I prefer sram chains, so have always gone for sram casettes, believing them to be matched together. I may be wrong though.

And please, anyone, is there a simple and reliable way of telling if your casette is worn out. Like a chain-checer, but for casettes?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cassettes, SRAM or Shimano?’ is closed to new replies.