Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • cars knackered, commuting tips please
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

well the car (which to be fair was only meant to be a cheap runabout) has just failed its MOT with flying colours and it's gonna cost more than its worth to repair.

So now I'll be joining the commuting masses does anyone have any useful tips and recommendations for lights/mudguards etc

thanks

tron
    Free Member

SKS mudguards.

akira

Don't get stressed out by other road users, life's too short.
    Although the roads do seem chocka filled with asshats these days….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cateye for lights.

trail_rat
    Free Member

dont go flat out …. i can do my commute in 1hr 45 if i belt it – but do it in 2 hrs 10 – both stops me getting foooked and gives me a cushion should any issues arrise … (i also allow 3 hrs to do it … gives me a bit of time for a shower and breakfast when i get in)

D0NK

full length mudguards, lots of led lights when it's dark, an additional helmet mounted light is good for "spotlighting" drivers about to pull out on you. Consider a hi-vis vest.
    You've still got a few weeks of school holidays to ease yourself into it.
    if you haven't done much road riding in heavy traffic before read up on how to do it safely.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don't have only flashing lights at either end. Main light steady, smaller flashing ones.

Flashing lights on their own are annoying and distracting, and harder to track their true position and movement because they are only on half the time…

Oh and DEFINITELY bright clothing. You used to think 'safety' stuff was really lame when you were younger, I bet… but after a while spent commuting you really begin to see the point.

Doesn't have to be fluo green tho. White is also good, as is light grey, normal yellow etc.

nickc

Top tips

1. Thousand yard stare
    2. Irrational almost pathological hatred of cars, and car drivers.
    3. red light blindness
    4. a sign to hang on your back wheel that says "I disembowel wheel suckers"
    5. an ambivalence to the difference between a road, and a pavement.
    6. A constant miasma of flies due to lack of shower facilities at work.
    7. Insistence on hanging your Friday Lycra on the radiator, pad side out (to air it)
    8. Almost constant craving/fantasising of bread/other carb heavy products.

cp

trail_rat – thats one helluva commute! How long have you been doing it/how often a week???!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Panniers, good ones, somethign like secondhand ortlieb ones are worth their weight in gold. The QR system makes life so much easier than velcro or ones that just rely on gravity holding them on.

SKS chromoplastic guards, nothing else is worth bothering with.

Touring (as in old skool roadie style ones, not 'hybrids') bikes with canti brakes, conti gp4000 32c tyres and middling weigth innertubes. Best ballance of weight/comfort/speed IMO.

Fresh shorts every day

A jar of sudocrem.

DezB
    Free Member

Crud Raceguards if it's on a road bike

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

assume all drives will do the most stupid thing possible at all times and assume none of them have seen you.

g6dcs
    Free Member

I agree with thisisnotaspoon, Panniers are great, just taken some ortliebs on their first commute to work this morning having never used panniers before and they really do make a difference to the ease of commuting to work!!

willard

Buy the most expensive carbon-framed road bike you can find, as much garish lycra as your credit card will bear and a pair of gold SPD shoes.

Remember, it's all about the look.

thomthumb
    Free Member

self preservation – choose a route that's nice to cycle this may or may not be the one you drive/ the most direct route.

I cut out several junctions by taking the long route round, but it means i have to negotiate a minor left/ right turn rather than merge with motorway traffic and join large roundabout all in one move!

aP
    Free Member

How far will your commute be?

after the mudguard etc comments – the thing to remember every day is don't take any more than you need to, as you have to carry it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

twice a week – just started last week – moved from 65 miles in to 34 miles – 6 weeks previous to that i was doing 7 miles daily flat out for 9 months and doing about 1000miles a month when i included weekend rides so i dont feel too bad after ive done the 35 miles – feel fresher when i arrive at work

when i get back from africa i aim to be doing it 3/4 times a week in prep for strathpuffer – and im already looking for ways to extend my route home to incorporate the cairn o mount a couple times a week

kimbers

if your route has some detours that dont add to much time but add to your chill factor its very useful

brompton cemetary is a convinent short cut for me and a moment or two of calm before im on the road

buy 5+ pairs of these from aldi so you have fresh undercarriage wear every morning

trail_rat
    Free Member

only if its a short distance – id say quite the opposite if your doing a good distance (10miles + ) get 2 pairs of good quality shorts- wash them every evening and wear the clean dry pair the next day and waterproof overshorts/jacket should be left in the pannier/bag all year round ! none of this "its dry/warm ill just wear" then it pisses down and gets windy when your at work !

rootes1

these are ace rear lights

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Smart-B-Spoke-12-Watt-LED-Rear-Light_16721.htm

sometimes get them in a set inc front light for a bargain price of £15.. but not of usual suspects have them

SKS – yes

also sort some decent luggage out

trail_rat
    Free Member

having had panniers in the past i founda tendancy to carry too much – i have a carrradice long flap camper for normal days and then when i want to go shopping i take the panniers too

rootes1

Yep I use a Carradice SQR tour, just enough but not too big

lipseal
    Free Member

Bus?

molgrips
    Free Member

Use the money you save on petrol to buy 5x cycling kit.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘cars knackered, commuting tips please’ is closed to new replies.