Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 2,121 total)
  • Cannondale Trigger? Bargain
  • funkrodent

eddiebaby – Member
    Get down the garage and buy her a bunch of flowers. Always works.*

* This may be urban myth

If they’re all out of flowers, then a box of Ferrero Rocher and a can of Castrol GTX should do the trick. This also applies to birthdays and Christmas.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Slowly cracking…… The Trigger 4 looks more tempting every time I look at it!

Harry_the_Spider

mine

chillnflow
    Free Member

Wouldn’t linkages be made up with sealed bearings and dry bushes, would they be ok to lube?
    TBH it seems to be just as it rebounds and sounds more like something from the shock as if it’s venting something. Hard to explain…

backmarker
    Free Member

Been watching this thread for 2 weeks and thought by now everything would be out of stock but nooooooo! I finally cracked and pressed ‘buy’ so a Trigger 3 is on its way!

withersea
    Free Member

Didn’t bother with the flowers just came back with a big grin on my face from my first ride, it was bloody fab. Had trouble getting the wheels to run tubeless so stuck the tubes back in and headed out!

oldnslow
    Free Member

Did any of you lucky owners that bought a Trigger from Paul’s cycles have the bike delivered by TNT? If so did your tracking number from Paul’s work on the link they send? Mine claims the number does not exist grrr

cogglepin

Aye mine came with TNT, didn’t get chance to use the tracking number, it was here less than 24hrs after I ordered it!

Jason
    Free Member

Yes mine was TNT. Number didn’t work for a while, but updated eventually.

parkesie
    Free Member

Tracking No wasnt live till day after dispatch. Arrived and was well packaged with not so much as a scratch so i wouldnt worry to much.

oldnslow
    Free Member

Thanks for the calming replies 🙂

So it seems like it’s TNT being a bit rubbish, why have tracking on a 24hr delivery that doesn’t work until after delivery? lol

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Ordered mine 10:30am last Wednesday, arrived the following morning at 10am.

oldnslow
    Free Member

I’m getting a wee bit twitchy waiting for mine as I ordered it on the 20th September but needed a Saturday delivery and I couldn’t be around last Saturday, oh well nearly done waiting

chillnflow
    Free Member

Tnt did seem slow to update for me too.

Anyways despite moaning about squeaky shock i have enjoyed being overbiked on some über foggy overbiked commutes this week and owe this thread some pics, thanks OP 🙂

TPT with some Steetly Quarry tracks on the way home to test the 140 travel, compared to a hardtail it was a blast and did a couple of lines that I normally chicken out on, those brought on big grins 😀

Looks like the locals had been having fun too, was still smouldering 🙄

Nice bike, coming from old hard tail and 08 specialized fsr xc (yes, harrythespiders comments egged me on to buy too!)
    It does work well, did the TPT 16 mile each way commute with no trouble, despite it feeling quite heavy to shoulder it really does have an efficient peddling feel with no bobbing and feels light peddling despite the weight when picked up. Then when doing some proper stuff in 140 mode it eat it all up!
    Wolverine tires seem ok so far with just a couple of slides when pushed but have only been in dry conditions so far.

Hope the pics work!

backmarker
    Free Member

Trigger 3 arrived unannounced yesterday while I was out got back home 11 last night to find a note from TNT that my neighbours had it – it was too late to knock them up so I thought wait til Saturday morning! Rang bell. Could see trigger in their hallway but they seem to have gone away for the weekend aaaaaarrrrgg so close!

mttm
    Free Member

Well, I’ve put a few miles on mine (Trigger 4) in the last two days. A nice little cross country loop yesterday (15 miles) and a somewhat longer (38 miles) ride out to and around Llandegla today. A few thoughts and observations:

1. The short travel mode was a revelation. Really effective and gave the bike an unexpected amount of “zip” on cross country routes. It’s never going to be a race bike (29lbs), but it was thoroughly enjoyable. Works really well when combined with the “Trail” setting on the forks.
    2. Toggling in the full travel setting makes a pronounced difference (which was nice). Again, there was another surprise here – this bike isn’t plush. And I mean that in a good way. It doesn’t wallow and blow through its travel – it uses just the amount required and no more. I like this, it means that even at 140 it feels pretty taut. But if you like your full sussers soft and squidgy, I don’t think you would find this one too satisfying.
    3. It squeaks like mad. Every time the suspension cycles it gives a little squeak from either the shock or the linkage. It didn’t do this on Friday’s ride, but it started straight out of the garage this morning. It got steadily worse for a few hours, then improved on the ride home. But it squeaks with every pedal revolution… maddening!
    4. The Fox forks were much better than those I’ve used before. But bare in mind that’s a few years ago and I’m comparing them to older open bath versions. These seemed to be a little firmer, and certainly kept the front of the bike propped up much better under braking. The three settings were distinct, with “climb” being most of the way to a lock out – I just used this setting on the road. You could push through this damping threshold, which felt slightly odd – I initially though there was an odd knock until I twigged what was happening. A little less weight on the bars cured this. I think I’m too used to my Maguras, which you could “crush” down into their travel.
    5. SLX – ain’t it great! I was a bit concerned about dropping from XTR to SLX, but honestly, the SLX kit performed brilliantly. Obviously a bit heavier, and maybe a shorter life span, but functionally spot on (at least for the grand total of just over 50 miles so far).

Oh, I’m not running the stock wolverines (I know these tyres don’t suit me having used them before). I switched straight over to Ardents run tubeless. And since I had plenty of spare Ashima AiRotors around, these are on too – so my “stock” wheels are a good deal lighter than they were when they came out of the box. I also fancied trying 1×10, so I have a single 34t ring up front (and the original crankset, mech and front shifter are in a box). 34 / 36 is a pretty tough ratio up some of the climbs in the Clwyds, but is fine on road sections and at Llandegla.

Current verdict? Very, very happy with the performance. And that performance for a grand is just superb! The only downside is that damn squeak. I’ll have to fix it or it’s a deal breaker, which would be a real shame. I’ll give Paul’s a call on Monday to see what they can offer in the way of advice. On the subject of Paul’s, this was one of the best prepped bikes I’ve bought – virtually nothing needed adjusting and it was all really well packed.

Sorry, rambled on a bit. Hope that is of use to anyone considering one.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

That’s great stuff mttm, my trigger 2 gets delivered on Monday, can’t wait to get my birthday prezzie to myself!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

That’s great stuff mttm, my trigger 2 gets delivered on Monday, can’t wait to get my birthday prezzie to myself!

easygirl

The tent number doesn’t work until the driver has picked it up and scanned it, or somert like that.
    Mine showed unknown number for the first day or two after ordering

parkesie
    Free Member

For the sqeak i put a smear of fork lube on the shock seal and that cured it for me. I risked my finger while sat on the bike. Probably not the best way from a keeping your finger perspective.

mttm
    Free Member

Tried the fork oil on the shock seal, but it didn’t make any difference on mine. It seemed to be coming from that general area though, and just squeezing the top shock mount appeared to shut it up. I’ve taken this out, cleaned it all with IPA and reassembled to the specified 8Nm. It’s certainly different now – still there but quieter. Work in progress.

montoyamad
    Free Member

My trigger carbon 2 delivered a week ago and looks great but the wife is making me wait till Christmas Day!!! It’s killing me!

Jason
    Free Member

My trigger carbon 2 delivered a week ago and looks great but the wife is making me wait till Christmas Day!!! It’s killing me!

What happens if there is a warranty problem? I think you really need to test it out now 🙂

I took my Trigger 2 to Afan today, and did a 40mile loop taking in W2, Penhydd and Blue Scar. It was great around there. I don’t ride at Afan much, but last time I did a similar ride there I was on an Epic 29er (admittedly that ride was a bit further, with no stops). Looking on Strava I was surprised to see that climbing times on the Trigger were fairly similar to the Epic. Riding it was noticeable that on loose rocky/pebble climbs the Trigger in the 85mm mode had loads of traction and just rode over the loose stuff, whereas the Epic would always skip around a bit. Although on the ups the extra bulk of the Trigger was evident. A lot of the descents at Afan are fairly xc, but in some areas the shallower head angle and extra travel of the Trigger gave a lot more confidence and speed, Time to sell the Epic I think.

No squeaks from the rear shocks. In my experience those sorts of noises could come from anywhere, on one of my full suss bikes I eventually traced it to a cable moving in the cable guide.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

So tempted by the Jekyll on there ! Any one know what the fit/sizing is like on them? I’m 5’11” and usually go for a large frame but the size charts I’ve looked at recommend a medium frame.

flowerman
    Free Member

I have got a large trigger 4 and I am 6’2″. I was really thinking about going for an extra large, but quite glad I didn’t. I can pedal it well with about 3 inches of post out and the front end seems quite roomy. However this is my first full sus bike which isn’t a dh bike. I don’t know how the sizing of the trigger and the Jelykl match up, but I’d guess they would be pretty similar. My mate who is 5’10 sat on mine, and could pedal it about efficiently with about 1 inch out the seat post. They are longer in the reach than I expected tbh.

captmorgan
    Free Member

I’m just over six foot and got a large trigger 2 have about a inch of post maybe inch a a quarter showing.
    Coming from a long ish xtc bike the reach seems fine

hammerite
    Free Member

Sideshow – I emailled Paul’s to ssk for advice. I’m 5’10-ish and they recommended a medium Jekyll for me. Decided to go for a Trigger, which is medium and seems fine.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Come on 8 pages and 3 or so pics so far…
    Let’s see some pics of these new bikes.. Particularly interested in the carbon trigger 2..
    What’s peoples thoughts on the lefty? My immediate reaction is to take it off and put a pike on it..

parkesie
    Free Member

Lefty is a great fork ive no intention of removing it. Still fiddling with shock pressures and seeing how low i can go. Might convert to 1x the mavic tyres are pants. Rides alot like my old prophet but stiffer and swaps between xc and trail from the bars instead of unbolting stuff.

chojin
    Free Member

Can I just say… You ALL owe me £999.

Not individually, of course – that would be madness.

No thanks to this thread, I’ve now gone and bloody well ordered one. I don’t even ride bikes anymore for god’s sake!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

withersea
    Free Member

Sideshow, you are the same height as me, you’d want a medium. Height and reach work well with dropper post at either end of up and down, suggest you set your seatpost height with the travel in the shorter setting

withersea
    Free Member

Goldigger leave the lefty on it’s fab

parkesie
    Free Member

Another gorgeous carbon that chunky.

Jason
    Free Member

The only reason I could think of for swapping out the Lefty, would be compatibility with other front wheels. It is a really nice fork to ride.

You do get a few strange looks due to the Lefty fork. My wife has one as well, so it looks pretty normal to me:

mttm
    Free Member

Been out for a quick twenty miles around the Clwyds tonight (a reward for refelting the shed roof). Dropped the pressures in the suspension a smidge and it now feels spot on. It’s gone from “taut,” to “supple” – a fine distinction but a noticeable one. It still feels remarkably efficient though. I had a host of PBs tonight, most of them on climbs! And this on a 29lb AM machine. I can’t help but wonder just how quick one of the plastic ones would be…

parkesie
    Free Member

Jasson that looks just like a spot nr pirbright that i used to ride. Another 2 lefty family aswell. Another big +point on the lefty is the service intervals compared to others.

RustyNissanPrairie

Finally got round to building mine up today. First thing was how well packed the bike was in the box – big thumbs up to Pauls for that.

The first problem I had was that the Magura’s are imount and I was wanting to fit my standard clamp Saint/Zee combo and put the X9 on my Prophet. Decided to leave the X9 on, ride it and swop it out to XT 11 speed in a few months (I love Shimano’s double upshift feature)

Ripped the front mech and double set up off and fitted a direct mount Raceface NW.

Had some serious head scratching with the shock – set it up for my weight according to the manual and it was rock hard. Ended up dropping the pressure right down to get some sag.
    Quick ride tonight though and feels as though there is too much compression damping as the rear end is kicking over square edge bumps – need to have a read up/tinker with pressures I think.

A few things that would piss me right off if I paid full retail are the fact it doesn’t have any chain stay protection other than a flimsy bit of tape and the sag-o-meter for the shock is an extra £17, how the hell do you measure sag on a pull shock otherwise???? Needs cable guides on the headtube area as the cables drop and rub on the fork crown area.

Otherwise for the £1600 (plus £50 for the NW) its a bargain.

New and old (both XL’s);

Crazy amount of cables

32T Raceface SRAM/direct mount NW

matt_outandabout

How much for your old bike, mr? 😉

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Rusty, you have too much negative pressure in the shock as the piston is moving out the shock. Takes a bit of faffing the rear shock and sadly having to buy the sag lever is an arse, but worth doing. I was bottoming out and struggling to set it up without it. Weird how my 26 er Jekyll came with a massive downtube protector, MRP chain device and a thick plastic chainstay protector. Shame how they cut these out the later bikes. Mine was from Pauls from last years bargain 2013 bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 2,121 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Trigger? Bargain’ is closed to new replies.