Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Camping stoves… .good in the wind
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

I’m looking for a fast boiling stove, that handles well with windy conditions. I was looking at the jetboil stoves, but dont like the idea of the poor performance in the wind.

The next option was an MSR Reactor, but it’s quite pricey…

Does anyone have any suggestions? I’ve got Trangias, gas stoves, etc… but looking for something for quick water boiling.

Cheers chaps!

Ricks

Helios
    Free Member

I haven’t had a problem with my Jetboil in the wind – where’ve you heard that?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Trangia is great in the wind

I have had issues with small gas burners when its windy – now I use a wind shield its OK

allthegear
    Free Member

I think a Jetboil is about as good as you can get in the wind. There might be others that are in the same area of performance, either slightly more or less efficient, but the differences are so negligible as to not be worth worrying about.

It’s a good stove for quick drinks/meals on. It’s a rubbish stove if you want to do something fancy…

Rachel

anagallis_arvensis

If you want to boil water fast in any conditions an msr whisperlight is the answer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Windshield weighs naff all and adds very little bulk. Made using my whisperlite in wind a pleasure

robh

MSR Rocket and windshield, or gas burner for the Trangia.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these Primus eta multi fuel stoves, it’s very adjustble and efficient. It comes with a windshield and the fancy eta pans.

http://www.primus.eu/templates/pages/3_cols_white_middle.aspx?SectionId=5888

The Packlite version is good too, but can only be run on gas.

http://www.primus.eu/templates/pages/3_cols_white_middle.aspx?SectionId=5888

tonyplym
    Free Member

Kelly Kettle is great if you’re not constrained by size or weight, and it’ll run on any “fuel” that you happen to have to hand. Have used one regularly throughout the last winter and it’s been brilliant.

carlosg
    Free Member

If you want to boil water fast in any conditions an msr whisperlight is the answer.

+1

we have 2 of these for bike touring and think they’re the dogs dangly bits.

Stoner
    Free Member

or… to save some cash use whatever you already have with a lightweight wind shield

http://backpackinglight.co.uk/page110.asp

mattbee

Managed to make a brew with my Jetboil on summit of Tryfan last year in 70mph gusts of wind with horizontal rain/sleet….

MadPierre

Managed to make a brew with my Jetboil on summit of Tryfan last year in 70mph gusts of wind with horizontal rain/sleet….

Haven’t you heard of thermos flasks? 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Great link Stoner, I’ll be having one of those.

Stoner
    Free Member

mcmoonter, Bob @ backpackinglight has some great stuff. Keep hold of your wallet. 😉

NZCol

Jetboil, double run of tinfoil for incredibly windy exposed areas.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Proper MSR (whisperlight/dragonfly) with that Alu heat shields and wind breaks are awesome!!

northernrick
    Free Member

if weight isnt a massive issue, ive been using coleman petrol stoves for years.
    powerful, and you can get fuel 24/7 from any petrol station.

robh

Stoner, do you know if that will flip the other way over the canister for storage?

robh

Perhaps I should have clicked the link and looked myself as it’s pretty obvious it does. 😳

headfirst
    Free Member

How fast is fast by the way? HOw long does a jetboil take in ‘normal’ conditions?

My mini-trangia has never had me twiddling my thumbs waiting too long, but then I’ve never been in extreme conditions I suppose.

Slight hi-jack:

If you boiled an egg, would the water be tainted in anyway? Could you use the water for a cup of tea or porridge without any peculiar taste? I’m after ‘tried and tested’ answers rather than ‘in theory’ suppositions please. 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

do you know if that will flip the other way over the canister for storage?

It does, epic wee bit of design.

Eta with standard windbreak.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QSVSUQ_mr0[/video]

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You could improvise one from an opened-out aluminium drinks can.

Mounty_73

I have just used a good double layer of kitchen foil in the past in very windy conditions, does the job and weighs nothing 🙂

My old trangia never had a problem, but it no longer gets used as its far to heavy.

A few shiled options here too; http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/page110.asp

Stoner
    Free Member

Bob has always favoured some heavy gauge commercial cooking foil and a rubber band – it’s much thicker than bacofoil but it’s not so easy to get hold of.

walla24
    Free Member

can’t recommend a jetoil enough, the flame is incredibly strong and also the base of the ‘cup’ has a network of links which transmit the heat more efficiently.
    sure a bit of bodging could come up with a windsheild if you were bothered but honestly don’t think you will need it.

the bigger brother to the jet boil (not sure name) comes with a windsheild

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Camping stoves… .good in the wind’ is closed to new replies.