Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Campag zondas or shimano wheelset?
  • donkeydave

Hi looking for a new wheelset for a giant defy which is currently on giants own pr2 wheels.
    Are the campag zondas the best value 350 quid wheelset?.
    Any options would be great as I have just knocked the rear one out of true.

garage-dweller

I don’t know the answer to this on the more recent kit but in 9/10 speed days Campagnolo used a different freehub body so depending on what groupset/cassettes you run that might limit your choice unless they offer each other’s freehub as an option on their wheels.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I replaced a set of those wheels with Zondas – night and day difference. Ridden for two years and still true. I’m heavy and not overly careful. Personally I wouldn’t have anything else. Worth waiting for a Halfords 20% flash sale and BC discount on top?

whatgoesup

Zondas are great. I asked the same question a while back and bought a pair – only sold them again as I changed the bike to a disc brake.

They come in both Shimano and Campag hub styles. Fulcrum 3’s are essentially the same wheel I believe but without the Campagnolo branding and a slightly different spoke pattern.

Can’t comment on the Shimano’s except to say that I’m not aware of Shimano making anything bad – they will likely be cup&cone whereas Zonda/Fulcrums are cartridge bearings – whichever is better is down to your personal preference.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Zondas every time. The freehub bodies are serviceable and Shimano freehub bodies are made of cheese.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got some Zonda’s too. Been great so far. look pretty cool and appear to be strong as a rock. hubs are nice. To be fair I didn’t keep the Giant PR2’s on for long, the Zonda’s came up on Wiggle on an offer that looked too good to miss so can’t really provide a thorough comparison, but the Giant wheels seemed quite good too. I’ve still got them and use one as a turbo wheel, so not sure how much of an upgrade the Zonda’s are, but they are strong as a brick outhouse.

donkeydave

Thanks I thought zondas might be the better option, have just seen the shimano 6800 on ribble with two gp4 season tyres and tubes for 320 so thought this might be a better deal?.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I guess shimano 6800 vs Zonda’s probably approximates to wheels being pretty equivalent, my brother has Shimano’s and he’s had no issues whatsoever (though he’s 20kgs lighter than me) so whatever the best deal on price – or tyres being chucked in if that sweetens the deal, is probably the way to go.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Hunt range?

Road/CX Wheels

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I had a set of Zondas, they are great wheels for the money.
    2 problems though.

I snapped quite a few spokes (85kg), and because of the spoke design, losing one spoke meant that the wheel wouldn’t spin in the frame. Spokes are unique and quite expensive.
    I destroyed the rims in 3 days in the Alps, it was wet which didn’t help, but they wore away at an alarming rate. Replacement rims were almost the same price as a new set of wheels.
    Currently on RS81, which seem to be holding up better.

drew

Hi OP, sorry to but in but if you decide to opt for Shimano I have an unused RS81 wheelset which I would like to sell as I upgraded to the Dura Ace version. My email is in profile if you’re interested.

mcj78
    Free Member

I have a pair of Zonda’s & would recommend them too – they’re about the lightest / stiffest you’ll get for the price, seem pretty sturdy too. Have you looked at the Fulcrum alternative (Racing 3)? Sometimes you can get better deals on one over the other & apart from the rear spoke lacing they’re the same.

neilsonwheels – Member
    The freehub bodies are serviceable and Shimano freehub bodies are made of cheese.

The inner freehub bearing is a pain in the arse to remove due to the c-clip pressed in there, last time my outer bearing went a bit gritty I asked the lbs to replace both & they said they couldn’t get it out – have heard of people displacing it by drilling a small hole in the shell to push it out 😯 replacement freehubs are also about £65, at least the disposable Shimano ones are cheaper 😆

donkeydave

Thanks everyone for the comments very grateful 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Are the campag zondas the best value 350 quid wheelset?.

No.

Have you looked at the Hunt range?

ahaha, the OP mentioned “value”.

Prime wheels at CRC, or Cosine at Wiggle. Not sexy but basically the same wheels as Hunt, JRA etc at half price or less. They all buy in wheels built with DT spokes, hubs from the likes of Novatec or Bitex, rims from the likes of Kinlin or Alex then get them labelled up.

Threads refer to disc wheels but the debates and brands are relevant

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-disc-compatible-road-wheels-for-500

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/recommend-me-a-700c-disc-wheelset

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/budget-road-disc-wheelset

donkeydave

Thanks crashtest monkey, have spent tonight researching some wheels and have still not decided but I have opened my eyes a lot!.
    Will read through the linked threads thanks 😆

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

nothing wrong with Hunt, JRA, Shimano, Campag etc and there are other reasons to buy something than just value (my titanium road bike arrived today…) but if you want VFM there are better places to look.

The last post in the last thread is a poster comparing Cosines to PR2s – something like 400g lighter which is not to be sniffed at.

orangeboy
    Free Member

If the shop could not change the bearing under the cir clip find another shop , it’s not that hard to do

nathb
    Free Member

Looks like the latest Racing 3s have adopted a similar spoke pattern to the Zondas now http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing-3-clincher-wheelset/

I’d really recommend cosine wheels, but it looks like wiggle have pulled them?!

rockchic
    Free Member

I’ve run Shimano RS80’s and Fulcrum Racing 3’s.
    Pretty close weight wise but the difference is in the stiffness.Fulcrums are a stiff wheelset and I like that.Not sure if Shimano have widened their rim but its pretty narrow.A 25 tyre sits really nicely on the wider Fulcrum rim.
    Its the Fulcrums that are on the bike full time now.
    I really can’t see the point of the semi carbon Shimano rim.Marginal weight saving ? Softer ride ?
    Have a look at a wheelbuilders such as DCR as on your budget you’d get a nice lightweight set.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Campag zondas or shimano wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.