• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nathb.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a 700c disc wheelset
  • neilpass
    Free Member

I’m building a Kinesis Tripster Ti ATR shortly and looking for recommendation for a good wheelset 700c disc preferrably with 6 bolt hubs, Shimano freehub, for winter road and general summer adventure duties. Looking to spend £300-400 was looking at Hope 20five Pro4 but not sure what else is out there

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I built up a set of Stans Crest on Hope Pro 2 hubs for my cx bike. I used 29er rims which I got on offer and my local bike shop built them up. Maybe worth exploring?

househusband

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-disc-brake-wheelsets/products/borg22-disc-road-cx-wheelset-front-and-rear

Join British Cycling (if you haven’t already) and he’ll give you a 10% discount.

ransos
    Free Member

stans grails, novatec hubs, cx-ray spokes. Cost me £379 from Spokesman.

sb88
    Free Member

Rate this guy:

http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk/

Not had wheels myself from him – just hubs and endcaps, but I know others have been pleased and I found him great to deal with on phone & by email.

If going down the Novatec Route – I rate my D771/772sb hubs – he’s a good bet rather than ebay Novatec hubs which I’ve heard can have lower quality bearings. He also stocks end caps, freehubs etc for them.

nathb
    Free Member

Hunt 4seasons?

They come with 6 bolt adapters

Kamakazie

Hunt 4season
    Novatech CXD
    JRA Jawbone
    Kinesis Crosslight 4

welshfarmer

EDIT: Out of stock!

hate that – when a great offer is still listed!

neilpass
    Free Member

Like the look of the Hunt wheeels, thanks for the advice

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I have had the same wheels as Ransos from http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk/ and they have been perfect for 5000 miles and I am around 90kg.

They weigh in at around 1700g in a 32/32 spoke build.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Shameless plug but I have some LB 50mm carbon clinchers in the classifieds for half your budget.

slowboydickie

What ramsos said build up just over 1600g. But you can’t run road tyres at road pressures on holy grails

neilpass
    Free Member

I ordered a set of Hunt 4 Seasons gravel disc wheels to be delivered end of March. Unfortunately they have not been able to fulfill my order and having just told me for the second time they will be delayed for another 3 weeks I have cancelled my order and gone for Hope 20five with centre lock RS4 hubs ( I picked up some IceTech CL rotors from the classifieds). Evans had them in stock and are now on there way to me, good price and hopefully some Quidco cash back too.

ferrals
    Free Member

But you can’t run road tyres at road pressures on holy grails

I ended up getting some Scwalbe s-ones in 30mm and using them on grails for road riding on my cx bike, just run then at 47psi (rims rated 45psi max, tyres 50psi min), seems to work ok.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Oops, I’ve been running my 30mm S-Ones at 40 psi. Thought they seemed a bit draggy

igm

Hope reckon you can run a 20Five at 90psi – I asked them.
    And the rest at least (haven’t bought the front yet) looks lovely. Very understated, simple clean lines. Nice.

neilpass
    Free Member

Evans screwed up and sent me 2 front wheels, pleased with the look of the fronts, fitted a Conti GP4000S ii tyre in 28mm flavour and inflated to 90psi. Now waiting for my local Evans to get in touch so i can swap the wheel

nathb
    Free Member
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a 700c disc wheelset’ is closed to new replies.