• This topic has 31 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nathb.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Budget road disc wheelset
  • nathb
    Free Member

Any alternatives to these I should consider, it’s for my commuter which currently has Fulcrum Racing Sport DB wheels but I’m not getting along with them (freehub feels gritty).

1) Cosine Disc £150

2) Mavic Aksium £135

scud
    Free Member

The Kinesis wheels are good as are Cero wheels who do a disc option which gets good review for about £189?

faustus

Hmm, prices show as £180 for cosine and £150 for Mavic!?

Cosine are 1610g and Mavic 2045g. You can get cheaper and lighter mtb wheels instead of the mavic.

nathb
    Free Member

Cheers scud I’ll check those out!

17% off with platinum discount at wiggle
    10% off with british cycling discount at chain reaction

prawny

I’ve got the Mavics, they’re ok.

I’d get the cosines if I was getting some now, they’re a far bit lighter IIRC. The mavics are solid, but feel a bit lifeless.

blitz

CRC Own brand Prime Competition wheelset. 1580g and come tubeless ready. Impressed with them.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/prime-competition-road-wheelset/rp-prod142937

Looks like out of stock though. Might be worth a look if they come back in soon.

mooman
    Free Member

I got the mavics – solid set of wheels, and only negative is the weight … they are heavy.
    Also got the kinesis racelight wheels; they cost prob double the mavics. They are lightish and you can feel a difference; but only draw back is that they are very tight to fit most tyres … absolute nightmare in fact!!

will
    Free Member

I’d go for the Cosine wheels. Got 2 pairs of the 32mm road wheels are they’re great.

I’ve got the Aksium disc wheels as well, and whilst they’re fine, they are bloody heavy! Infact, I might get some of the Cosine wheels.

faustus

Those planet x ones weigh an F-ton though….

Merlin do these for £195 and seem good value:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-chosen-hub-alex-draw-19-road-cx-disc-wheel-700c-98436.html though they come with wrong axles for road…Other good options on Merlin

whatgoesup

Those Cosines look interesting – especially against the Hunt 4 season gravel discs that I’d previously considered.

They’re slightly lighter than the Hunts, and less than half the price. Are Hunts that much better – or are they just good at marketing ?

nathb
    Free Member

Yes hunt are very good marketeers!

Okay think I’m going to order the cosines now. Thanks all.

whatgoesup

Nathb – great link !

Should be compulsary viewing….

jimdubleyou

I have the aksiums- I’m a heavy lad and they stood up well to the abuse I gave them (jumping off kerbs and other general abuse)

Managed to rip a spoke out of the hub (stupid straight pull) and mavic replaced under warranty.

Jason
    Free Member

I have a pair of the Cosine wheels (hopefully) being delivered tomorrow. I wanted a cheap set of spare wheels to save me having to swap tyres when I want to take my road/cx bike on off road rides. For the money they were the best I could find. The wheels look to use Novatech hubs which my other wheels use, and I have been happy with. I just have to see how the rims stand up to light off road duties.

nathb
    Free Member

Just got around to ordering the wheels, found a cheeky £8 off voucher too.

NEW10

£141.60 all in, £136 if you include cashback 8)

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

jimdubleyou – Member
    I have the aksiums- I’m a heavy lad and they stood up well to the abuse I gave them (jumping off kerbs and other general abuse)

Managed to rip a spoke out of the hub (stupid straight pull) and mavic replaced under warranty.

POSTED 12 HOURS AGO #

Didn’t really stand up too well then .

momo

Those Cosines are seriously tempting!

I’ve got 2 pairs of Aksiums (well one pair of Aksium and a pair of Aksium ones – no idea what the difference is!) setup with road tyres and cx tyres to make swapping easy. They’ve held up to my abuse, I’m 100kg+ and not scared of doing smallish drops and jumps, hops up kerbs etc on them, but would quite like to drop some weight from the bike, I had been considering Hunt 4 seasons, but might look into the Cosines now.

Can you please update with your thoughts once you’ve got the wheels, ta.

nathb
    Free Member

Will do!

4.7/5 with 52 reviews is ruddy good though!

Sorry the wiggle code for £8 off is 10NEW

tommytowtruck

Is anyone running the Cosines tubeless?

nathb
    Free Member

Got mine today, very impressed with them!

Front – 748g
    Rear – 868g
    Total – 1616g

Love the finish on them:

dragon
    Free Member

Mavic Aksiums are fine but the freehub body on mine has just died. Never had that happen so quickly with Shimano so a little miffed, but they’d done 2 years of commuting, so not a complete disaster.

Might also have to look at those Cosine, as a next step up.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Anyone tried Cosines tubeless?

peteimpreza

Ditto to nathb , very impressed .

Really notice the lower weight compared to the Askiums they replaced . set quite a few Strava pbs already having only used them three times so far.

Also interested to hear if anyone has tried them tubeless .

nathb
    Free Member

Interesting freehub too, it’s held on by the axle?!

mattbee

Fitted the Cosine to my wife’s Sonder Camino yesterday, saved over a pound in weight over her old Boardman CX wheels.
    Tubeless with Stans tape, Hutchinson valves, Schwalbe G-One and a bit of Cafe Latex sealant. Went up pretty easily, although not quite with just a track pump, had to cheat & use CO2.
    Stayed at 70psi overnight. Dropped to 50psi, put them on my Sonder & went for a quick spin. Nice, stuff enough & quiet, feel lighter & easier to accelerate on road (I have Pacenti SL 25 with same tyres still running tubes) and felt more compliant on broken tarmac/gravel.

scruff
    Free Member
    avdave2

Those Cosine wheels look good, around 400g lighter than the PR2’s on my Defy.

whatgoesup

Thread ressurection – Cosines are no longer available, the Prime competition are unavailable at the moment. Wish I’d gotten some cosines before!

So – what’s the current alternative? As they’re generic parts is someone else offering the same thing at a similar price?

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

I used the Cosine wheels over winter on MTB Defy disc. They were a lot lighter than the original wheels and really changed the bike for the better. After about 2,000 miles three of the four rear hub bearings seized. I ended up replacing the freehub (they’re Novatec hubs for info) at the same time, as the LBS weren’t confident they’d get the seized bearings out of the old one. The alloy spoke nipples were replaced with brass ones too as the odd couple had cracked. It cost me around £80 to get the rear wheel back up and running.

I think poor sealing on the freehub had led to the bearings seizing. Possibly due to being a bit too thorough when cleaning the rear cassette and the (duck smart) cleaner running in to the freehub and drying the bearings out. It was all three drive side bearings that had seized.

They’re good value for money wheels and will save you a fair bit of weight over OE wheels. Just thought it worth sharing my experience.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

So – what’s the current alternative? As they’re generic parts is someone else offering the same thing at a similar price?

Superstar, with their current ~30% off code.

nathb
    Free Member

Anyone found a sub £100 set?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Budget road disc wheelset’ is closed to new replies.