• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New disc compatible road wheels for £500
  • RicB

Looking to replace the PR2 wheels on my giant defy advanced. They’re ok but a bit heavy. Loads of nice road wheels for that price but not so many are disc brake compatible

I’m after a set of all rounders for climbs and flats, although the majority of my riding is on the flat tbh

Mavic Kysirium disc elites caught me eye. However they’re slightly over budget and I’d need to get hold of axle adapters as they come in 12mm flavour and I have 135qr and front qr frame fittings

Anything else to look at?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Mavic the obvious choice but usually proprietary parts and poor value. As per all the recent what wheel threads, Cosine from Wiggle or Prime from CRC are unbeatable for value. Built with decent branded or re branded parts (eg DT spokes, Novatec hubs) but half the price of the likes of Hunt and JRA who do the same thing (so you save £250).

Third option is Superstar, but they are either excellent quality and value or involve fairies drowning in kittens tears and crows scratching babies faces.

Kenesis have fans; a few of us suffer exploding alloy nipples so I wouldn’t personally recommend, but I’ve got club mates who’ve had no issues and love em.

RicB

Must’ve missed the recent threads, and didn’t find much via search.

Will check out the wiggle and CRC offerings. Tend to avoid superstar wherever possible!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The search function is “quaint”, I can’t find threads I know I’ve read…

A recent one links a YT video “how to become a wheel company” which is a good pop at the likes of Hunt.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I think this is the thread you are referring to…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/recommend-me-a-700c-disc-wheelset

RicB

Those Prime wheel sets do look good, a bit over budget but look worth it

Looks like 28,38 and 50mm rim section depths on the carbon models. Will an average 65Kg rider notice much difference?

Also- can’t believe the disc versions are 200g heavier! Slightly annoyed by that. Will be 300g heavier once the discs are bolted on. Maybe discs on a road bike aren’t such a great idea after all :-/

dirtyrider
    Free Member

A recent one links a YT video “how to become a wheel company” which is a good pop at the likes of Hunt.

sillyoldman

DT would be the first place I’d be looking. R23 and R32 models both under budget, and the lovely RR21 dicuts are a bit over.

All tubeless ready with tape and valves and come with every endcap option in the box.

j40aja
    Free Member

Are the RR21 dicuts worth the extra over the R23 discs?
    I’ve just bought a Merida Scultura disc 7000-e which came with R23 discs and was thinking of selling them before using them in favour of the rr21 dicuts.

sillyoldman

RR21 are the first in the line up with 240s hubs – I’d say that alone makes them worth it

rexated
    Free Member

Hunt?

I’m selling some Hunt Aero Light Disc wheels if you’re interested – pretty much as new, couple of hundred miles use, with original box and set up for QRs front and rear. 1469g but with a bit of aero advantage for the flats. And you can run them tubeless. They cost £469, but I’d sell them for £300 posted. (sorry for self-interested salesman-type thread hijack)

stephenroundhill AT hotmail DOTco DOT uk

j40aja
    Free Member

Cheers sillyoldman! Might need to see how much an unused set of R23 discs go for!

RicB

J40ala- drop me an email if you do decide to sell

Rexated- could you drop me an email with some details?

Mail in profile.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New disc compatible road wheels for £500’ is closed to new replies.