Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Buying advice please…
  • Fop
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have a fairly nice stable of MTB’s but am considering purchasing an entry-level road bike for evening training rides etc. Want to spend as little as possible, but am mindful of value /spec.; In the same way that I would recommend someone pay around £400 minimum for a decent entry MTB (Merlin Malt / Spesh Hardrock disc etc.) I’m ignorant as to equivalent type road bikes. I want to spend as little as possible, but want a minimum decent spec. This Decathlon Triban 3 seems to fit the bill perfectly at £300 (and with carbon forks!)….does anyone have any experience / opinion?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/triban-3-173178017/

My other option is to spend £600 odd on a Giant Rapid 3….lovely bike but surely not worth double the money?

Thanks in advance.

hora
    Free Member

Personally I’d spend your money on a secondhand ‘steed. Even if its an older vintage road bike.

Fop
    Free Member

Thanks Hora….Have been thinking of that and have recommended friends to do the same with MTBs, but without any logic I fancy buying shiny new.

hora
    Free Member

Road bikes are treated far differently to mountain bikes though. So you’d literally be buying brand new.

alfabus
    Free Member

fit is more important with road bikes, so if you do go second hand… take your time and be prepared to change stems and possibly bars.

oh, and you could do a lot worse than check out the ribble bike builder for new bikes, or the focus bikes from wiggle.

Dave

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Road bikes are treated far differently to mountain bikes though. So you’d literally be buying brand new”

your kidding right ?

any used roadbikes ive been handed to repair usually look mint due to the way they are used except that roadies only sell when every componants completely shagged ! – usually the good bike becomes the training bike , the training bike the winter bike and the winter bike the commuter – commuter gets sold….they always look good but usually ****.

same caveat goes to mtbs – what you need is a little used bike from a tdf wanna be – those are bargains.

hora
    Free Member

Ah yes I meant except winter bikes etc. They do alot of miles (in theory) so drivetrain age is key x

Fop
    Free Member

Thanks for that folks….food for thought.

But how does that Decathlon look to those of you who know your road bikes? Could it be likened to something like a £400-£500 Spesh/Trek/Giant etc. ie. good enough spec. to get a proper feel for road-riding

hora
    Free Member

As said above you really would be better off with a Ribble bike builder OR buying a Boardman from Halfords.

splugy
    Free Member

consider a cyclocross machine ! beautiful bikes which you can take off road a lot too

hora
    Free Member

Actually. I bought an old steel track bike and gave it decent new wheels. Manchester is almost flat quite far out and its ideal for evening rides.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Buying advice please…’ is closed to new replies.