Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bodge it shim using fizzy drinks sheet alu
  • Wally

The Appletizer can is well greased and only fits down if a introduce it to seat tube a layer at a time (it is wrapped on at a slight angle) so it is a tight, yet greased up removable fit. Also the bottom of the bodge shim is well below the top tube welds. Frame is cheap as chips tough old steel (I hope)

Anybody done this for a short period of time, whilst waiting for correct seatpost?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yep, all the time. My lovely Tazer has a long 30.9-31.8 cheap tinnie shim 3M spray-mounted inside the seat tube . . . perfect job (bit neater than yours Wally – you'd never know 😉 ).

bassspine
    Free Member

read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance immediately

Wally

Still on The Ragged Trouser Philanthropist 🙂

chopperT
    Free Member

Can makes fine shim. It's consistent thickness, and well anodised. you can use it for almost anything!

Northwind

"A special shim from the private stock of Baron Alfred Krupp, who had to sell it at a great sacrifice."

neilnevill
    Free Member

Having had trouble with a couple of the corerct size (Ti) posts slipping in a Kinesis frame and braking one hope seat clamp (snapped an ear right off the collar) and one salsa (snapped bolt) I now run a can shim and have no trouble at all. cut some slots done the shim (about 15mm down, every 5 mm around it) then fold the bits over the top of the seat tube, fit the seat clamp over the top of this and the shim is held in place neatly and invisibly.

Neil

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Fit my Marin 27.0 seat pillar into my Kona 27.2 hole with this stuff. 8)

petrieboy

read this earlier on the mobile RSS feed and thought "must log on later to say read Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" but it seems i was too slow! might read the book again…..

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Ah plan has emerged… Stupid of me to buy 25.4 on assumption, but 0.3mm per wrap will save me mwhaa haaa haaaa haaaa haaaaaaaaaa

Brainflex

Used a coke can shim on my inbred for the last 5 years.

myheadsashed

My friend used one on his turner, the shim outlasted the frame 😕

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bodge it shim using fizzy drinks sheet alu’ is closed to new replies.