Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Biking abroad – What spares?
  • oopnorth
    Free Member

Off to spain in a couple of weeks – Yay!! Wondering what extras to take, just in case of breakages, spare mech etc. Don`t want to take too much due to weight.
    What do you think are the essential spares to take on your trips abroad?

djglover
    Free Member

I always take a backup bike.

simonralli2
    Free Member

To be honest your biggest issue may well be punctures, depending on where you are riding. Rear mech essential too. I am currently riding with 2.4 michelin armoured tyres from Decathlon. Tried that tape stuff but it was dire.

Have you been to Spain before and what location will you be in? Access to bike shops can sometimes be a problem too.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Have been before but hired the bike so did not take spares. To be honest it was punctures that was the main issue, I will be taking lots of tubes!!!

nickjb
    Free Member

Tubes and brake pads.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Pads, tubes, maybe a tyre, A few spare spokes and some tools. I’d not carry spare mechs/hangers – I’ve only ever ripped one off in my life and that was when my brakes failed and I ran into my brothers rear mech 🙂

richc
    Free Member

mech hanger, pads, tubes, mech and spare tyre. May seem extreme but if you slash a tyre wall if can be difficult to get a replacement.

Oh and anything *unique* to your bike, so if you use funny length spokes, odd sized QR or the like some of those.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Thats what I was thinking, tubes and pads, cos that all I take out in the UK. Some of the guys are taking spare rear mechs which I dont have, can`t use theirs, cos they use shimano and mine is sram 🙁

Yetiman
    Free Member

As above punctures can be an issue so take tubes and a repair kit. Tyre patches can also be helpful if you tear a sidewall. A decent mini-pump, multi tool and spare mech hanger if your bike has replaceable ones. I also take a spare gear cable set and front & rear brake pads.
    I usually take a rear mech but haven’t needed it on in 5 trips although I lent one to a mate last year when he mashed his during a big crash.

Oops – I see rich has covered most of the above already.

andym
    Free Member

Spare bolts as well.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

When I go to the Alps/Spain I usually take spare brake pads, spare inner tubes, a spare chain, a spare rear derailleur and a spare derailleur hanger plus a spare pair of tyres and a decent tool kit, but I usually drive down so weight isn’t an issue.

If I was flying I’d probably take everything above but only one spare tyre and a smaller tool kit.

It’d be incredibly frustrating to go away on holiday and damage something on your bike on the first day and be unable to ride for the rest of the week. Whilst you can’t cover all eventualities sticky-out bits (derailleurs and hangers) and bits that wear (pads, chains and tyres) are quite often easy pickings for rougher terrain taken at higher speed, as quite often is the case in my experience of MTBing in Spain and the Alps. Indeed when I was in the Alps last year the guy I went with damaged two rear derailleurs and snapped two chains and by the end of the week my DH tyres were looking decidedly tired.

hels
    Free Member

It is hard/impossible to get Hope stuff in Spain so if you run Hope take spare pads and even rotors if you can afford. Suggest rear-mech hanger or take it off the bike when you pack the rear mech for transit.

nickc

Everything that sootyandjim says. I have known folks to take a spare rear shock as well.

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Only thing you’ll need is a spare liver! 😉

nigew
    Free Member

A spare set of forks might be a good idea,
    especially if youre taking that specialized 😆

oopnorth
    Free Member

Nige – Get off my thread!!! Still kept up with you yesterday!!! 😀

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Duct tape usually comes in handy, especially when you need to stop people singing kareoke! Loads of chocolate bars are good (Ritters are my fave!)

oopnorth
    Free Member

Just wondering…We have been out biking abroad with a guide for the last 2 yrs, fully paid, rented bikes etc but this year we are meeting a mate who lives nearby & taking our own bikes.
    Whats the general consensus regarding riding the same trails but without the guide?? Is it the done thing?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you are going to a mtb place then common spares should be available – ie mechs, tubes and so on.

Mech hanger if you have one, spokes in the right length, couple of tubes fr convenience spare brake pads. No point in carrying stuff like mechs/ cables / hoses that you are unlikely to need but if you do need them will be easily available locally

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Biking abroad – What spares?’ is closed to new replies.