Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Bike rack on nice car?
  • JCornford

I'm looking at getting a new car and am interesting in the new Megane Coupe and am a big fan of tow ball bike racks, but think it would be a real shame to have a great big tow ball and pendle rack mount on the back of a nice looking car, are there any asthetic ways of doing this, or just quit moaning and have the metal work on show?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

A Renualt? I thought you said a nice car?
    😉

glenh
    Free Member

I think your definition of 'nice looking car' and mine differ slightly 😉

Marmoset
    Free Member

Removable tow ball? Just check it's nose weight limit first, it's usually lower than a fixed bar.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Get a proper car instead! Big turbocharged estate cars is where it's at! Sod the aesthetics, get some grunt and bootspace!

wombat

Why not get a set of roof bar mounted ones, you can then remove the bike racks & roof bars all as one unit so they just take a couple of mins to fit/remove. Not too hard to reach either as the Megane's quite a low car.

This works a treat for me.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

anyone seen the carrera 4 that has a bike rack on it at glentress? always makes me have a smile/cringe moment……could he not afford a cheap "biking car"

mrsflash
    Free Member

Removable tow bar.

simon_g

Have seen a few 911s in London with roofbars – probably an easier option, especially if you have to deal with residents permits and the like.

Actually, for a while all the cars in the West London Porsche showroom had roof bars/racks and things attached to the roof – including the Boxster!

Gary_M
    Free Member

JCornford I take it you're female. Anyway can't you get a towbar fitted with a removable tow ball – takes seconds to fit.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Why assume they're female?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MrsF, that's not exaclty the sort of car a chap would choose to drive…! 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

'm looking at getting a new car and am interesting in the new Megane Coupe

Need I say more.

JCornford

Actually I'm male. I've not got loads of cash so the big 4×4's etc are out of the question and a sport coupe seemed a nice option. Can I just ask what you don't like about the new one? http://www.renault.co.uk/cars/model/newmeganecoupe/product.aspx

I doubt I could afford to insure a big turbo charged estate car and quite like sticking the bikes on the back rather than in the car.

I've never been a fan of roof mounted racks, although I have never used one, the thought of height restricted car parks, bridges etc and lofting a dh bike onto the roof have always been a deterrent. Plus aren't they a lot worst on fuel economy compared to having them on the back?

CaptainFlashheart, why is it not exactly the sort of car a chap would go for, what sort of car of that zie should a chap look at then? I'm not getting a Golf as my house mate has got one, so that would leave, Focus, Astra, Volvo C30 and te Seat Leon.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If you like the Megane coupe, why not look at the Scirocco too? Probably a bit more expensive, but (IMO) a better looking car.

Still, the Megane does look pretty nice from 90% of the angles.

You could also get a removable tow bar so nothing on view when not towing.

JCornford

The Scirocco is too pricey for me.

iainc

It's also more expensive than the Golf GTI, which is reckoned to be a better drive, and more practical -)

btw – i quite like the look of that Megane 8)

Gary_M
    Free Member

I was just winding you up 😉

Have a look at the seat ibiza sc, pretty car, fantastic fuel consumption in ecomotive form.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fair enough – it will have much better residuals though. Wonder what comparative lease prices would be?

the Golf GTI, which is reckoned to be a better drive, and more practical -)

Since when is car choice only based on practicality? The Scirocco looks about 1,000,000,000 times more beautiful than the Golf. And you don't look like a sales manager.

(But you may look like a make-up artist/hairdresser/tanning salon owner).

kennyNI
    Free Member

My set up. I think 75kg was max vertical weight on detachable towbar fitted here.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I suppose when the bikes aren't on the rack you could keep the oil drum there 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I suppose when the bikes aren't on the rack you could keep the oil drum there

Post of the day week month year.

🙂

meesterbond

We've got a 911 and regularly put bars and a couple of bikes on the roof… it's a surprisingly practical car (is what I keep telling myself)

Do get some strange looks in the car park when we're unloading them though.

BigJohn

My definition of "Nice Car" is a car that doesn't stop you doing what you want.

I had this little discussion with myself when I bought a nice shiny big car and then fretted about a few scratches from bikes & windurfers.

I decided to put up with the blemishes, carry my toys in it and on it, and live happily ever after.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Surely that is a practical car, not a nice car?

FuzzyWuzzy

Detachable tow-bar is the way to go, I keep trying to convince myself to get one fitted on my 3-series coupe but the idea of getting the bumper cut doesn't fill me with joy 🙁

JCornford

So i take it with a detachable tow bar you have to get a rack that mounts to the ball itself rather than bolts on like the pendle?

mrsflash
    Free Member

Captain ,I'll tell GF then, he likes those 😉

zarquon
    Free Member

roof bars on a 3-series coupe work ok for me

white101

I watched a bloke in a TT fit a foof box and rails to his pride and joy outside Halfords today.

edit: foof box!!! clearly a typo and not a ref to anything else, at all 😯

radoggair
    Free Member

Renault megane. If going by my luck with the last megane then you and renault UK service department will become good friends.

spooky_b329

Tow-trust now do a 'flange detachable' towball which gives you the best of both worlds…removeable but still got the twin bolt system for bike racks/bump plates/pin & eye hitches etc.

Also, if you are looking at 'sporty' coupes (I notice that the Megane Coupe you linked to states it uses a 'sports chassis') check they have type approval for towbars…it would be a bummer to buy the car then find no one makes a towbar for it! Mondeo ST220 and some supermini stye city cars don't have type approval.

Gary_M
    Free Member

he said 'flange'.

walks away sniggering.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

As already sugested, you can get a detachable towball/swan neck whatever.

I love my towbar…

DickBarton

Mitsu Legnum VR4

PJ266
    Free Member

DickBarton knows.

Those things look incredible.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I'm not getting a Golf as my house mate has got one,

😕

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I'm not getting a Golf as my house mate has got one,

😕

A bit like saying, "I'm not going to have a lovely girlfriend because my house mate has got one, I'll have a tempremental, stroppy cow instead"

Zedsdead
    Free Member

"Detachable tow-bar is the way to go, I keep trying to convince myself to get one fitted on my 3-series coupe but the idea of getting the bumper cut doesn't fill me with joy"

That's what put me off for so long too. In the end I got it done and you can't see the cut at all.

I wish I did it years ago…….

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Bike rack on nice car?’ is closed to new replies.