Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Best long lasting dry lube?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

What is your fave?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I’ve recently started using ‘Squirt’ and have been very impressed with it.

Available online.

Paceman
    Free Member

+1 for Squirt

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

just to expand slightly, it keeps the drive train running smoothly, doesn’t seem to wash off easily and best of all, a quick rub of the chain with a rag and lube reapplication kept the chain clean as well, no accumulation of grime that I get from finish line red top (which to be fair, isn’t a wax baed product).

rob-jackson
    Free Member

forgot about squirt

bam74
    Free Member

Bought some squirt last week and finally got round to applying it last night. Bit of a faff having to degrease the chain and rings but hopefully be worth it. Heard nothing but positive reviews so fingers x’d.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Squirt.

Or Putoline chain wax, it makes your divetrain look like it’s been ridden through tar pits, but it won’t come off untill it rains, and even then it only comes off if it’s really crappy.

Downsides, application is a PITA, clean chain in spirits, melt wax on camping stove, dunk chain in and swirl arround, remove chain and find somewhere to hang it and let it cool where no one will notice the foul smell or dripping black gunk. On the plus side I only lube my nice bikes chain once in the summer as long as it avoids rain. Downside it slows shifitng slightly, only realy noticeable on the road bike.

rocketman
    Free Member

Squirt FTW! It keeps the drivetrain surgically clean but it doesn’t last very long it needs applying every ride when it’s wet.

The consistency can be improved (i.e. thickened) by freezing it and then letting it thaw. Great service from in2dust every time.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

We really rate Squirt. Off road apply every ride (before you put the bike away rather than when you get it out) – I reckon it’s good for 50/60 miles whether dusty or muddy. On road I reckon on about 200miles unless it’s wet.

The only place I’ve given up on it is on the commute bike where I don’t want to have to worry about it every time it rains.

iainc

have been using the White lightning Dry Lube for a while on road bike but just ordered some Squirt. Quick Q for Squirt users please – given that I have white lightning on the drivetrain can i put Squirt on top or do I need to try and get it off by degreasing first ?

richmtb

I’ve noticed both Muc Off and Finish Line dry have recently changed to a Squirt style white liquid. To be honest I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference between them. I just use which ever bottle I find first.

They are both a big improvement of the clear style Teflon dry lube that I was using before though and definitely keep the chain clean longer.

If its dry you just need to give the chain a wipe.

composite
    Free Member

Squirt.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve tried finish line dry, squirt and a few others but I keep coming back to GT85 it’s cheap it lasts ages, keeps everything clean and we (my group) pretty much all use it. It does wash off pretty easily in heavy mud and rain but who cares really? In those conditions you’re buggered either way.
    I really believe that fancy cleaners, expensive oils and other costly consumables are a bit of a rip. GT85 for the win.

brassneck

I like the Pro Gold stuff, works well, stays on and a tiny bottle lasts for ages.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I have used squirt on a previously white lightening epiced chain without degreasing first (shoot me!). The first application went on OK and the chain is running fine. It might produce a bit more black gunk initially though. The chain was fairly clean though. I really rate it and must buy some more soon.

cheburashka
    Free Member

Been using White Lightning for years on my Klein; just put Squirt on new (+degreased chain) drivetrain on my new build so can compare like with like. First impressions of Squirt are that it’s a lot less messy to apply from the bottle being a bit thicker (not that White Lightning was really messy but there was always a little wastage/dripping) and that Squirt seems a little less ‘waxy’ on the chain (possibly a tiny bit more sticky). With Squirt I repeated the initial application twice, let dry then wiped thoroughly. With White Lightning on a new/degreased chain it’d need up to half a dozen initial applications before I / my rear mech was happy with it.

Toasty

So many suggestions of squirt for long lasting lube. Bizarrely I’m struggling to think of a shorter lasting lube. Especially around here when it’s dusty, barely makes 1 ride.

End up reapplying so often that chunks of it build up in areas that the chain rarely touches. Can’t be bothered with it anymore.

iainc

sounds like Squirt is a winner ! I will give it a go on top of the White lightning as the drivetrain is only a couple of hundred miles old and pretty clean, having had 3 applications of white Lightning

nickswolves
    Free Member

Needed a new dry lube having used the last of the red top finish line lube. Felt inspired by this thread to try Squirt…..1 bottle now on its way 🙂

cheburashka
    Free Member

Oh and Squirt doesn’t smell at all when applied unlike some lubes.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well it seems im the only one who doesnt recommend squirt then – jesus that stuff was crap, degreased chain/chainrings fully….added it twice, it lasted about 15 miles of a completely dry ride and then it had the noisiest drive train ever! i tried it again and it did the same again…..

so i dont use it, just to add a negative to your thoughts!

Toasty

well it seems im the only one who doesnt recommend squirt then

Nah, a few people said the same 🙂 Think it depends where you ride.

hope
    Free Member

Where do you all buy Squirt from?

iainc

I ordered it from Stif and it’s on its way a day later

cheburashka
    Free Member

Toasty and OW, what do you use instead?

Toasty

I’ve just gone back to normal Finish Line Dry, it does make a bit of a mess and need cleaning every now and then. Getting more than 1 ride out of it though.

bellerophon
    Free Member

I’m using Finish Line Dry, can’t say how long it lasts as I give the chain a wee wipe and lube the night before a ride, seems to last a ride which is enough or me.

edit: hi toasty, out of interest, in what way do find it messy?

cheburashka
    Free Member

To be fair one long ride is about all I got out of White Lightning Clean Ride but the easier/less messy application and odour-free-ness of Squirt will swing it for me even if performance / longevity is only the same. There should be plenty reporting back after the weekend anyway.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

I’d vouch for Purple extreme. I’ve used it on and off for the last 3 seasons up here in ‘sunny’ Glasgow! It never reaches the claimed 400miles per application but certainly keeps things running smoothly.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

rock n roll extreme IS the best lube out there, its brilliant ive used it all winter, drive train quiet as a mouse and no mud/oil/gunk throughout winter at all, made cleaning the bike so much easier as this area is where with normal lube you spend an age cleaning thoroughly!

come summer this year (ie now 🙂 ) i think the rock n roll extreme will be overkill, so im going to try their gold version i think its called, its not a dry lube as such but the stuff im using now extreme is exactly just for that, extreme wet conditions!

chives
    Free Member

I’ve just started using Rock & Roll Extreme – it soon flashes off, then you clean the chain to within an inch of its life, so no real residue to pick up dirt. Nice silent drive train from the get go, but haven’t used it in the wet yet..(isn’t this weather great??).Time will tell.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Rock&Roll Extreme here too.

Applied after each ride (before putting bike away).
    Works fine for me for 12 months of the year.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Squirt. End of

nickswolves
    Free Member

Ok so the bottle of Squirt I ordered arrived today (great service) and I have a couple of questions for you Squirt users, do you just re-apply after every ride/bike wash like a normal lube? I guess the main benefit of this lube is that you don’t need to degrease the chain as often as other lubes, is that right?

timmys

Basically. You need to apply it at least several hours before the bike is used so that it has time to dry. The best way of achieving this is to apply it when putting the bike away after a ride – that way it’s all set to go next time.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Best long lasting dry lube?’ is closed to new replies.