Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Best cheap top chainguide?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Looking for a decent top chain guide, but as cheap as possible.

Superstar XCR is obvious option, but heard that it can flex side to side, allowing the chain to fall off the ring. Seat-tube mounted guides tend to stop this (and also allow for much easier adjustment), but reviews say that the seat-tube version of the XCR is pretty flimsy?

So, which of the two is better? Or is there a better alternative? Don’t want to pay out for e.13/MRP. If anyone is selling something suitable, please let me know.

Bike will predominantly used for commuting and BMX tracks/dirtjumps, so nothing too rough, hence not wanting a full guide with bottom roller (and wanting to save weight).

Ta, Duane.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Best? Cheap?
    Sadly the two will never go together.

sambob
    Free Member

SS BB guide is alright.

Duane…
    Free Member

Ok, best of the cheap options.

Has anyone used both the BB and ST mounted Superstar guides?

eshershore
    Free Member

used the BB mounted Superstar guide (which is also sold under M:Part and other “brand” names

its okay, but you can reset the chainguide lateral position by using finger pressure on the cage, which is not ideal. It now resides on my 1 x 10 commuting bike and does okay for that application.

I’ve also used the M:Part seat tube mounted guide (again the same as Superstar, etc.) its not as flimsy as the BB guide but certainly not as rigid as the E13 I replaced it with. With the M:Part I had several deraillments under heavy loads, with the E13 its been rock solid

E13 is expensive, but then chain devices are one of those items where its well worth paying more for quality, otherwise you compromise the function of the device which is to actually keep the chain in place///

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks, so you’d say the ST mounted one was better?

Don’t want to spend more than £20, which rules out e.13s etc. As said, it’s not being ridden on overly rough stuff.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Deore mech with a very long lower limit screw wound in all the way?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I’ve had an MRPx1 and a Superstar and much prefer the Superstar, not dropped my chain yet.

Northwind

Superstar one is alright- the cage isn’t really the right shape, and the backplate on mine seems to have gone pretty flexible over time, like it’s fatigued, but it still does the job. When it bends, it takes next to no effort to bend it back, at least. But the MRP 1X I replaced it with is much better- easier to set up and does a better job (it worked better while badly set up than the SS does at best, tbh)

Oh, also the SS one struggled with my 32T setup, the massive cage interfered with the chainring bolts so it was a choice of mount it too high, or file it down quite a bit. YMMV on that one.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem with the ST BB mounted guide. If the chain drops, pedal forwards and it jumps back on again in the same way as you would with a front mech.

What I can’t understand is all this stuff about how stiff the back plate is. When riding, any flex is going to come from the BB area of the frame most likely. If this occurs then the guide is going to be moving with the frame no matter how rigid the guide plate is?

cardo

Using a Superstar XCR mounted on the BB and it works a treat.
    I had to use a washer to get the adjustment right and it was a little noisy at first but now it’s been used a bit it’s fine.

Duane…
    Free Member

Oh yeah that was my other concern, I’m running a 32T ring (for now at least, may more to a 34 soon)..

Northwind

DaveyBoyWonder – Member

What I can’t understand is all this stuff about how stiff the back plate is. When riding, any flex is going to come from the BB area of the frame most likely. If this occurs then the guide is going to be moving with the frame no matter how rigid the guide plate is?

Frame flex doesn’t come into it- if the BB shell moves the cranks move with it. But in any case, the backplate is miles flexier than any frame, you can bend it with a finger on the SS one.

Duane…
    Free Member

I had a play with trying to use a locked up front mech, but I couldn’t set it up so the chain didn’t rub when it was at highest or lowest on the cassette (and as it’s metal on metal it was very annoying) – is that normal?

shindiggy
    Free Member

got an as new super star bb guide you can have for a tenner posted. top guide is red and unused the metal BB mount is black and used for a couple of rides.

Duane…
    Free Member

Yup OK I’ll take it! Where should I send paypal to?

VanHalen

Plastic reflector mount an ancient dmr speed guide outer plate and a self tapping screw and a washer. Used on my freeride bike. Works for me.

shindiggy
    Free Member

p_sheard at yahoo dot co dot uk

stick your address in the notes or on email and I’ll get it in the post tomorrow.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Shindiggy – using a mech as a guide, you might find a little rub unavoidable as it is designed to touch the chain from the sides when you shift at the front.

Having said that, look into the mounting height of the mech on the seat tube, and the shape of the shift plates.

Some mech’s edges are widely spaced in some places. I think I have had success with Deore front ones and VERY cheap [like Halfords bike] quality all-steel Shimano ones too.

I’m sure a chain guide is better, but you might already have a mech spare so it’s worth having a go to see if it works!

EDITED – for clarity

sv

Pauls seat tube mounted one working nicely for me.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Gofasterstripes? Not sure what mean? I no longer need this guide as it was replaced with the seat tube option.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Does it make more sense now?

Amusingly, I don’t understand what you mean in your above post!

shindiggy
    Free Member

no, I merely offered to sell my top guide to the OP. I haven’t mentioned the possibility of using a mech as a guide.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

“Gofasterstripes? Not sure what mean? ” – now I really am confused. Can you rephrase this?

shindiggy
    Free Member

you posted about advice for me using a mech as a guide, I was meant to say not sure what you mean. as I haven’t mentioned anything about a mech. I am typing in my phone so apologies for bad spelling/grammar

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

OK – well as I was saying, in a pinch they can be used as a guide.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Duane, is the guide still wanted? I can post tomorrow so hopefully you’ll have it Friday if you can pay via paypal tonight.

Cheers

Duane…
    Free Member

Sorry, only just sent payment.

Has anyone tried modding a guide to be similar to this (or just bought this);
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=495

Would allow you to get it positioned really close to the chain/ring. Thoughts?

456mocha
    Free Member

It’ll probably kill me but I made my own using a bargain seat tube clamp (from crc), a long bolt, a spring from an old box file, a washer, a sorn-off bit of a biro, spacer made from a v-brake and some plastic discs cut from a bisuit box. So far so good! 🙂

shindiggy
    Free Member

Will get it in the post for you asap.

Cheers

mrelectric

Chain falls off granny ring on 2 x 9 on my Handsome Dog HT. Found an old reflector mount in a scrap box with a flat back plate and just the right diameter flexy clamp for the seat tube. Cut down a bit where weld joins to get it lower. Slight rotation and it’s just clear of the chain; briill, ace & fab. Five minutes and free.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Best cheap top chainguide?’ is closed to new replies.