Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bedding in brake pads
  • timwillows
    Free Member

What is this all about?

How should I do it and what difference will it make?

BrickMan

the worms are out!

for sintered & organic you can get away without paying too much attention to them, but if your running resin pads (most magura, some shimano) you won't get 100miles out of them if you don't!

Basically find a nice steep hill, ride up it drag A brake the whole way on each run, get it hot! then drench it with water (squirty bottle) whilst braking on it until a standstill. ride back up hill, repeat 2-4times PER BRAKE. job done 😀

timwillows
    Free Member

Cheers
    I'll stick to sintered and ignore it, sounds like a lot of faff.

nickc

Organic/Resin; Same thing

Brainflex

just ride it with the understanding the brake will be crap for a while.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

If not bedded in properly and some cack gets in there resin pads will just be eaten to bits in 1 decent ride.

Sintered are better IME.

elaineanne
    Free Member

yep i,ll go along with that ! a few weeks back i put rear organic pads in (big mistake) and quickley bought some sintered pads another week later…. sintered is the way to go !!!

MarkDatz
    Free Member

Mecanic in bike shop sed 2 go down big hill slow so breaks get very hot then jump off and turn bike over and spin the wheels and pee on the rotar so they cool down and the niterogin in the pee makes the rotar get harder it's esiar to pee in a bottel and use that

FuzzyWuzzy

Did the mechanic give you a special deal on a left-handed spanner to?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

just ride it with the understanding the brake will be crap for a while.

+1. Should be 100% after the first decent descent

Mecanic in bike shop sed 2 go down big hill slow so breaks get very hot then jump off and turn bike over and spin the wheels and pee on the rotar so they cool down and the niterogin in the pee makes the rotar get harder it's esiar to pee in a bottel and use that

😯 that advice is as wrong as the spelling and grammar

pedalhead
    Free Member

Crikey, that explains why I got through three sets of organic pads in a month this winter. Back onto sintered now, thankfully.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Some folk have a riding style and a brake setup that beds in with normal use, some need to make a deliberate effort.

Bedding in is 3 things, conforming the pad to the disc, curing it under heat and pressure and smearing a microscopically thin layer of pad material on the disc. The second of these is less with sintered pads.

A series of hard stops from speed is what is needed – the pads need to get to hundreds of degrees C. Do not put water on the pad / disc. All it does is cause thermal shock

MarkDatz
    Free Member

Well I'm gonna beleve what a mecanic in a shop seys not some randum dude

rootes1

i fitted some mixed sintered/organic (pads have both materials) ashima pads….

best of both worlds

knottie8
    Free Member

"Well I'm gonna beleve what a mecanic in a shop seys not some randum dude"

what makes you think he knows any better than TJ ? Seriously .

MarkDatz
    Free Member

I think we agree to diasagree

RustySpanner

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bedding in brake pads’ is closed to new replies.