Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • BC / Whistler riding
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

Im going to BC for just over 2 weeks in the summer. Hoping to spend around 5/6 days in whistler with the bike, and spend the rest travelling around (maybe some more biking thrown in for good measure)

Hoping to find out some more info on:

– Is it conceivable to access the non-bike park riding around Whistler (similar to the network of trails in Portes du Soleil) with a map, or is it best accessed with a guide?

– Are there any other biking hotspots in BC that I should definitely take in? I was planning on touring some other parts of BC when not in Whistler (route TBC, maybe Van Island?)

Hope thats not to vague.
    Cheers,

sheldona
    Free Member

Is it conceivable to access the non-bike park riding around Whistler (similar to the network of trails in Portes du Soleil) with a map, or is it best accessed with a guide?

Fine with just a map as all the trails are marked on it. Only the bike park is lift assisted though.

jedi

contact johnny smoke and pay him whatever he asks

http://www.bushpilotbiking.com

walleater

I agree with the above. Smoke is a top guy.

As for Whistler, again you could hook up with a 'local' guiding company for convenience if yo don't mind spending the money, and it'd probably be worth it to go and ride in Squamish and Pemberton (I prefer both to the XC stuff around Whistler). Don't forget the North Shore above Vancouver either. It's far from all about skinny stuff 20ft in the air. If you are pretty competent rider then you'd probably love the well known Shore trails. If you are 'UK competent' then you'll probably walk down half of Pipeline which is about the easiest trail, so be honest about your abilities before hitting the trails before you come over. I've guided people here who spent two weeks taking their bikes for a walk, and that was on the easiest trails. Whistler XC = UK freeride 😉

j-claw
    Free Member

The 'XC' trails around Whistler aren't too hard to find & with a guide book like this one, you should be able to find most of them. You could be in for a rude awakening though & you'd definitely get more out of the riding there with a guide. Bear Back are pretty good for the Whistler area. Smoke is your man for the rest of BC.
    You could spend years riding Whistler, Squamish, Pemberton & the North Shore & not hit the same trail twice. If you're only there for 2 weeks, you'll find more than enough to keep you amused in that area, so no need to go further afield. BC is big place, so you don't want to spend too much time traveling.
    Vancouver Island is great for doing touristy stuff. I think you'll be having too much fun on your bike to think about doing something else though 😀

oldfart

Contact Peter at ticket2ridebc.com .he can get you on day trips to Squamish or Pemberton for top quality XC rides .

ooOOoo
    Free Member

oh how I wish i was there this year 😡

BearBack
    Free Member

Well, we are in the business of providing guided riding holiday packages in Whistler but I'd still absolutely recommend using a guide. We come across all to many people on the trails using the map's who have ended up missing much of the best riding or following the map's 'recommendations' and riding trails that they perhaps shouldn't.
    Of course, equally there are just as many people entirely happy with the trails they've self guided themselves into, but we really believe its best to make the most of local knowledge.

Comfortably Numb is a good example. The maps and guide books make you want to ride the trail, but they really don't explain the trail well enough to let you make an informed judgement if this trail is for you. At 24kms, its still a 6+ hour trail!

Anyway, we offer Whistler based accommodation packages with guiding at superb value so feel free to check those out. Whistler mtb holiday

Other BC destination wise.. where to start!
    For easy self guided, Sun Peaks and Silver Star bike parks make sense. These bike parks still have some great smaller bike trails vs Whistlers out and out DH riding. Factor those in with a circle tour of the Rockies to satisfy your tourist needs. (lots of driving though)
    Or, Vancouver Island + Sunshine Coast with Mount Washington and excellent XC throughout the island/coast communities (BC Bike Race for inspiration) (slightlyless driving)

For fully guided BC trips, Smokes definitely your man.

Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions. Always happy to help

Jonny

PapaWheelie
    Free Member

IMHO if you need a guide in England, you'll need one here.
    If not, just hook up with a group ride from one of the bike shops (be prepared to buy the beer afterward) or post a "partner wanted" request on the North Shore Mountain Bike forum http://bb.nsmb.com/.
    Again, might cost you beer.
    I debated getting a guide when I came to England, but ended up going along on the Nirvana shop group ride to Leith Hill.
    Cost me a lot of mid-ride cakes and tea, but totally worth it.
    Never did get to see if a Canadian could out drink a bunch of British mountain bikers.
    Maybe you could check that out when you get here.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘BC / Whistler riding’ is closed to new replies.