Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 564 total)
  • Banshee Spitfire
  • mark88

Thanks. How many spacers do you use on each side?

scruff
    Free Member

1 each side seems to give better chainline, running 1×10.

mark88

Here it is on first ride.
    Pikes, CCDB inline, Reverb Stealth, XT 1×11, Guide RSC brakes, Halo Vapour wheels and Renthal cockpit.

The silver wheels weren’t planned, I was expecting black rims and spokes with silver hubs, but they were cheap so I couldn’t justify sending them back. They’re slowly growing on me.

pedlad

Looks v nice mark88 enjoy. Amazing how much visually lighter and more XC the farm looks in that colour rather than the black ano I have.

Scruff re

My CCDB inline has just come back from TF tuned, full warranty service after a low speed seal fault / chriping

I’m just about to do this. Do TFT reset the shock to the factory spitty tune or leave as is?

scruff
    Free Member

Hsr1 lsr10 hsc1 lsc5 from TF, does feel better but I have 200psi for 15mm sag. Tried 3 volume spacers but gone back to 2 for more travel use all the time as can’t feel bottoming on drops eitherway.

chiefgrooveguru

Some reviews of the 2016 Spitfire:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/banshee-spitfire-review-2016.html

Banshee Spitfire XO1 | Bike Test

I think between them they sum it up pretty well!

Interesting to see that both test bikes came with a 150mm 27.5 fork (which is what the geometry charts are based around). I think most of us are running a 160mm fork and with the even lower BB and steeper seat angle of the 2016 version that extra travel, few mm of BB height and 0.5 deg off the angles would work great for gnarlier riding.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Even more interesting to read in one of those reviews that there are rumours of ‘boost’ dropouts coming.. Seems like the bike industry can’t come up with a standard that Banshee can’t ‘absorb’ with minimal fuss..!!? 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

Even more interesting to read in one of those reviews that there are rumours of ‘boost’ dropouts coming.. Seems like the bike industry can’t come up with a standard that Banshee can’t ‘absorb’ with minimal fuss..!!?

I really like the swappable dropouts for that reason!

Also, I think the slightly lower BB height on the 2016 makes the adjustable geometry that much more useful for 27.5 wheels. As mine is set up the BB height is 342mm (in the slack setting) – even lower would be fun for dirt trails but it’s already right on the limit for being able to climb rocky trails without constantly smacking pedals or ratcheting to avoid hits. In the 2016 version the neutral BB height is the same as the original v2 in low/slack – obviously that affect the head angle but that’s easy enough to change with a different headset.

And the tyre clearance is so huge that you could definitely run the 2.8″ plus tyres if you wanted, and with the very low and adjustable BB height the geometry would be excellent.

Future-proof Banshees FTW! 😉

mark88

For info, I sent Banshee a message to ask about removing the ISCG tabs. They replied

You should leave the ISCG on, as it is necessary to make the BB 73mm wide.

scruff
    Free Member

Nah, it’s fine with extra bb spacers.

darkcrow
    Free Member

Guys, anyone try Fox Float X2 shock in a banshee Spitfire v2? Any reviews as compare with CCDB air CS?

chiefgrooveguru

I haven’t but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work very well. It’s an easy frame to tune a shock for and the X2 is as adjustable as the Cane Creek. Just make sure the air can isn’t too small or it’ll ramp up too strongly.

Northwind

I asked Banshee about boost dropouts and got this answer, think it’s probably OK to share:

“Oh, don’t get me started on all these stupid ‘standards’ that the big brands come up with to make more money… it’s a pain for people who are buying parts, but imagine what it’s like for designers like myself who have to keep making changes fo n real reason…. rant over! haha

I don’t plan to make 148 boost dropouts for the current frames if I can avoid it due to cost of opening new forgings, however as always, if there is enough customer demand I will supply what people ask for. you will not feel any difference between a well built 142 wheel and a well built 128 wheel. Sure a test machine might spot 3% difference in latteral stiffness, but a rider really will not considering that 1psi difference in tire pressure will have more effect probably.”

dbikeguy
    Free Member

thought I better join the owners club.
    First ride out. loving the Debonair rockshox can, easy to dial in and rides ace!
    Eagle groupset and some Carbon wheels and it will be done.

pedals bloody well and already faster on the descents of Cannock than I was on my old Norco fluid or Stanton switchback.

ahsat

Looks like my Crane Creek Inline might be bust. Annoying as only 1.5 years old. Might send it to TF Tuned to see what they say, but if £200 to fix, might better to replace. Go with the same as its excellent, reliability aside, or are others now running something different on their v2 Spitfires?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Been having trouble with the CCDB CS Air on my Spitfire since I bought it second-hand. The compression adjustments seemed to make little or no difference to the performance. On many jumps I’ve been getting bucked and going really nose heavy. Not a problem I’ve had before although its forced me to question my technique! Anyway sent it to TFT and its got some internal problems meaning I’ve got pretty much no damping at all. £170 for a full service and to fix the problems. Ouch, but cheaper than a new one and should be good as new once its back.

What happened with your Inline ahsat?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Snapped the little lock bolt on my 142 axle last night! That thing is pretty soft. Better pay particular attention to the torque setting next time as opposed to waiting for my elbow to click 😀

chiefgrooveguru

One of my mates had a huge crash in the Alps last year, hitting a 30’+ tabletop – the back end bucked and he went out the front, in a tumble of dust. He had the shock serviced when he got back and found the rebound damping circuit was blown wide open.

Only 3Nm on that little bolt – little more than finger tightness or a hex key the long way around, if you don’t have a torque wrench to hand.

Seems the Inlines still aren’t all that reliable. My CCDBA-CS has been great and for uplift days I think the piggyback makes sense.

Nice stealth build dbikeguy – sounds like the final version will be very bling!

Jingles
    Free Member

wilko1999 – I have brand new spare axle if you want it cheap – ive emailed you

wilko1999
    Free Member

You have mail Jingles

Pz_Steve

Jingles, where did you get your spare axle, as I’ve “done a Wilko” too!

Jingles
    Free Member

its still available if you want it Pz

ive emailed you

Pz_Steve

ygm

wilko1999
    Free Member

Ha ha I’ve become a ‘thing’! As it happens I am the master of stripping threads and snapping bolts. I really must get a decent torque wrench

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

After making a massive mistake last year selling my spitfire due to a house move that ended up costing me a fortune, I’m now in a position to build another.

I’ve looked at the competition but I keep coming back to the spitfire, if I’m honest my last one was blue but I’m not that keen on this years colours. I’d probably go for a black one but I’m not sure how tough the anodising is? Can anyone with a black one let me know please? Thanks.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d be doing the same – with the lightly tweaked geometry (lower BB, longer reach, steeper seat tube) it looks even better than before.

The anodised black finish is really tough – my also stealth black Bird is a quarter of the age and has done a quarter of the mileage and looks more worn (and the paint on that is at least as good as the paint on my Soul was). And the anodised finish is lighter than paint – plus the decals aren’t actually there, they’re just a change in the surface texture, so they can’t be damaged.

pigyn
    Free Member

Anodised is far tougher, and lighter as mentioned. I put about 3000k on my Phantom without any frame protection, still looked mint when I sold it.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Cheers lads, much appreciated. Will I get away with not helitaping it? Did it myself last time and it wasn’t much fun.

I’ve just noticed the ctd has gone and we now have the monarch or the inline. Which one is the better of the two? I had the ctd last time but regretted not going for the inline initially but after seeing quite a few people having problems with the inline I stuck with the ctd.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve never helitaped mine, just a couple of spots of black insulation tape where cables touch the head tube, a neoprene chainstay protector and (this is a bit more leftfield) three chunky cable ties at the BB end of the chainstay where you get chain slap when in the slackest setting. The anodised finish is on the matt side of things with the not-decals being more silk, so helitape might look too gloss anyway.

Mine has the DBair-CS but as that’s not an option now I’d go with the Inline. I’m still not 100% confident about the Inline’s reliability but they seem to be getting better – I’d only avoid it if you’ll be an infrequent or light user and risk not showing up any faults within the warranty period. With the DBair the performance of the rear suspension is sublime.

teethgrinder

Just received a warranty replacement for my old Mint Large Spitfire. Shock shaft on the CCDB Inline was being polished on one side – appears that there was a very slight misalignment in the rear end.

I now have a medium black frame all built up and it looks lush. No InvisiFrame this time, just old inner tube on the drive side chain stay and lower seat stay.

I asked for a medium as the new large is larger than the 2015 large and I was now just outside of the recommended size range.

Ison were awesome with the warranty BTW (as Gravitate in Newcastle closed in November), and I received the new one 6 days after posting my Minty one back.

scruff
    Free Member

A CCDB may need fixing at some point, but the geometry, KS suspension and my now TF warranty fixed inline CS is absolutely brilliant.

Black ano is pretty tough, mines fine still, riding it since November.

allan23
    Free Member

I suspect Helitape would look pants on an anodised finish. The black ano on my 2013 CTD Spitfire is still looking good. I just put a bit of black gaffer tape round the swingarm where the cables go past.

I’d probably have to ride it more to scratch it though, usually end up thinking about a ride and just taking the CX bikeout instead.

Keep thinking of flogging the frame and putting the bits on a steel hardtail.

momo

Off to Morzine tomorrow, gave it a good service and fitted the Shortys and a 36t chainring

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Hsxy47]Alps ready Spitfire[/url] by Matt Cotterill, on Flickr

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks again, food for thought.

Just looking at the Patrol and on paper it looks very similar to the spitfire. Has anyone here rode the Patrol?

scruff
    Free Member

Mate has a Scout, more similar to a Spitfire than a Patrol I’d have thought. Transition seems to dent more easily 😉

chiefgrooveguru

I’d say the Spifire sits between the Patrol and the Scout, closer to the Patrol in its downhill behaviour but closer to the Scout uphill – 160/140 travel vs 160/155 and 140/125. More anti-squat than either to help the pedalling. Geometry very close to the Patrol.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Is it worth waiting for the 2017 frame?

Not sure how early the Banshee bikes are usually released?

momo

There was an update to geometry last year so the 2017 is unlikely to be anything other than different colours, so only worth waiting if you don’t like this years colours.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Without sounding like a princess that’s the only reason.

But the yellow is growing on me.

momo

Princess away! I’m not keen on any of this years colours, love my 2015 raw one though!

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 564 total)

The topic ‘Banshee Spitfire’ is closed to new replies.