Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Really Bad news
  • AJ
    Free Member

For those that know it. The recent heavy rain in the Cairngorms has led to the "indianna jones" bridge at the top of Glen feshie has finally been washed away.
    Minutes silence me thinks.
    "Takes off hat"

druidh
    Free Member

21-gun salute for that one…..

Stu_N

The one near Glen Feshie lodge (at NN846937)?

Very sad, used that many times (and probably would again next weekend if it hadn't gone).

/bows

phatstanley
    Free Member

I crossed that bridge a coupla times with my young daughter when I took her camping up the glen……

it sure had some good innings…

scratch
    Free Member

Good memories, I'd hoped to cross it again one day.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Shame. My mate rides it regularly (He often works at Loch Insch) and he took me that route last year. Great riding there.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I can't believe I've never been there.

And now it's too late.

😥

tails
    Free Member

hey can you not volunteer a weekend help rebuild it or something similar

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

That's a pity – I've cycled nervously across it a few times! I was up Glen Feshie last weekend after the rain, some of the burns had created a bit of damage and some of the landslides were looking a little fresher too 🙂

orena45

We crossed that on our Scottish Coast to Coast trip earlier this year, couldn't believe how rickety it was!

Northwind

"hey can you not volunteer a weekend help rebuild it or something similar"

It wouldn't so much be rebuilding that'd be the problem, it'd be ensuring that it was in a properly ****ed state… I went across that years ago and it looked like it was going to fall over even then. Quite impressed it lasted so long. Shame…

peterd
    Free Member

RIP – i guess it is wet feet or a longer variant from now on…

druidh
    Free Member

A wee article here about it

Carnachuin Bridge, Glen Feshie, swept away

Stu_N

Just been up there this weekend.

Word is a lot of the singletrack on the east side of the Feshie is gone as well as there's been a lot of erosion from the floods. We didn't go down that side of the river, stuck to the west side, so don't know exactly where (could be the bits between Achlean and the bridge, or possibly further upriver, the section you use coming over the Geldie from White Bridge as it is pretty close to the river).

Apart from a lot of debris you wouldn't know it had been horrendous a fortnight ago – buff as you likes today!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Stu_N – I rode from Aviemore to Blair Atholl the weekend after the floods two weeks ago – all singletrack was fine. Couple of the burns had created a bit of damage but nothing major at all, everything on the east side was fine between Achlean and the Bothy. Some of the landslides further on had 'grown' a bit but all were easily passable. Singletrack further on to the Eidart waterfall area was all intact as well.

Stu_N

Oh – excellent. I wonder which bit the bloke I was talking to was on about then? There are quite a few choices in places and some options are right on the edge of the river so could be those bits, with the "inland" options intact…

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Perhaps there are sections that others ride that I don't further south from the Bothy after the landslides? If so, maybe they have been damaged – sorry, not much help!

Kit
    Free Member

Never did get a proper photo of it… Ah well.

Ambrose

So- will the wood washed downstream be any use as bothyfuel?

Gary_C

Three of us up there this April,think we all shat it as we rode over that shonky bridge!
    Sad to see it go though.

mingsta
    Free Member

Man, they don't make bridges like that anymore…er…well certainly not in London anyway. I can see why it'll be missed.

AJ
    Free Member

Hey so i heard that the CNP are being really arsey about letting the estate rebuild this bridge (they wanna do it at there own cost and in a traditional manner.~)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Looks like it was knocked together by a bunch of boyscouts – reckon it could be done again with some elbowgrease.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Really Bad news’ is closed to new replies.