Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • at what age did you………..
  • lookmanohands
    Free Member

….take your little out in a bike trailer? NOT A TROLL THREAD! I have seen lots of confusing info, they should be able to sit up unsupported, not until 12 months etc. Not on about offroad, just gental road spins. Ta muchly. 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

Around 8 months.

ton

12 months. on the camel trail in cornwall.
    he slept for 5hrs.

carlphillips
    Free Member

around a year when they could hold their heads up…seems to be the safest way really, i did consider putting them into a car seat though but got put off with the faff of securing it down.

Bregante

Around 9 or 10 months. I based it on when they were able to sit in a forward facing car seat.

simonm
    Free Member

around 8/9 months in a baby support (not the baby sling sold by Chariot) its different and is basically a Polystyrene formed seat that supported whole back. Its made by Weber.

simonm
    Free Member

What Chariot say

How and when you use your trailer depends on some key points – what mode do you want to use and the duration, the physcial developement of your child (ie the strength in the neck and back muscles of your child eg can he or she sit on their own yet), the time of year eg is it warm or cold. Generally speaking as a very rough starting point you can consider taking your child out for walks at about 14 – 18 weeks. Gentle short bicycle rides can start at about 16 – 20 weeks. Skiing at about 16 – 20 weeks. Running and faster bicycle rides at about 20 – 24 weeks

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

A lot of it all really boils down to how safe you feel with them on behind in the trailer. I took my daughter out in a front chest mounted carrier when she was young (3/4 months) (along the sea front so no traffic but not ‘off’ road) which was fine. We then got the trailer, I guess it was around the 9/10 month mark when she could sit up right and hold her head. We put a cusion in ours that she sat on to help with the bumps and lift her slightly so the straps worked better. However now at 2 years and a bit, we took her out a few weeks back for the first ride this season and her head is close to the ‘do not cross this line’ mark – although this is quite some way down from the top roll bar.

I would start using it as soon as possible to get them used to it and you’ll have great fun!!

swavis

About 4 months, he was strapped into his car seat which was then strapped into the trailer so he was perfectly supported and comfy. 😀

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

About 4 months, he was strapped into his car seat which was then strapped into the trailer so he was perfectly supported and comfy.

I must admit, after I got my trailer I did look at this and think that was a feasable option and wished I got the trailer earlier!!

ski
    Free Member

12 months for both, in the Burley Bee

trb
    Free Member

About 9 or 10 months in a rear mounted bike seat.

Although to be fair, that was April, so any earlier and the weather would have made things less enjoyable.

julianwilson
    Free Member

We didn’t buy one until eldest was 2 1/2, and wedged the little one in next to her (it was a snug fit despit havinf 2 sets of harnesses) when he was 10 months and just about walking IIRC. As i remember we put helmets on them to stop the little one pulling big one’s hair and to stop them boinking heads against each other.

Off road railway paths only for us plus trailer race at 2009 BBB. 5 way harnesses so hopefully they would have stayed put if we had ever tipped it over. Like Ton’s, mine slept most of the time!

Stainypants

We put Ryan in about 4-5 months in his maxi-cosi iso fix car seat fitted in with lots of straps worked really well.

D0NK

not a trailer but charlie was 7months old, short run round a local park flat gravel tracks.
    Not actually took him offroad since…hmm will have to try again soon. Mainly used for nursery runs or nipping to the shops.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Thanks peoples, looking at the burley bee to attach to the back of the cross bike, nohands jnr has got good head control as she has only ever been carried in a sling. 5 months at the mo but looking at getting one to take away in Sept so I think that’ll all be fine. Helmet or not?

ski
    Free Member

The Bee been great, used it arounf FOD, Cannock, Sherwood, etc..

Should be fun on a CX, I used it on my Pompino 😉

If you are planning to use it on a bike running rear brake disk, its worth checking if the standard Burley Bee bracket adapter that fits the rear stays can clear the disk?

It rubs on one of my inbreds, on the other its a no go!

molgrips
    Free Member

6 weeks, but we have a baby sling where she could lie down. No way should they be sitting up at that age for obvious reasons. And that was a very smooth flat (and short) ride taken extremely gingerly.

And being able to hold up their head for a few minutes is one thing, but keeping it up for hours whilst being bashed around is another thing entirely. It was 9 months easily before I was confident lil grips could properly sit upright for a bike ride and she’s a very big solid kid.

I’d say helmet as soon as it fits and they can handle it, which was about 1 for us. An Abus one was the smallest and best.

I’d definitely go for one with suspension tho – big help.

TP
    Free Member

About 9 months but that was dictated by the Aberdeenshire winter as much as anything else.

Junkyard
    Free Member

about 9 months once they had control of the head/kneck
    Did think of car seat but ther eis plenty of time to give your kids the love of cycling so why rush tbh

Ben_mw

Molgrips – Can I ask what kind of trailer you used and are those baby slings any good?

molgrips
    Free Member

Chariot Cougar 2 here, and the proprietary baby sling is pretty much mandatory for the baby. It holds a baby really snugly, although Lil Grips was out of it by 6mo due to being enormous.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘at what age did you………..’ is closed to new replies.