Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • as anyone got an NS surge?
  • mrbump
    Free Member

ive been looking at the NS surge and the geometry is exactly what i am looking for.with the new adjustable chain stays i can get the length spot on. i’m concerned about the weight though(2.78kg/6.1 lb medium).
    does anyone know how they ride,do they feel too heavy for xc/trail use
    and how do they climb?also the seat stays are pretty thick so does it ride too stiff.
    ive worked out head angle at 77.5 deg for 140mm forks and a bottom bracket height at 318mm.

mrbump
    Free Member

just checked and its lighter than the evil sovereign and transition transam!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Great, its also lighter than most full sus frames aswell. It still doesnt change the fact it weighs 6.1lbs.

I dont know if this is that heavy really, its a freeridey type frame isnt it? Maybe its not the best thing for XC

Bushwacked
    Free Member

A few guys local have gone Surge’s and love them – running them in 1×9 for DH / AM duties. They do some fairly long XC runs on them too.

mrbump
    Free Member

i would be using it for xc/trail,AM and maybe a bit of 4X.
    it would be specced with fox van rl 140’s and all mountain kit.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think your maths is wrong. 77 deg head tube is very very steep.

mrbump
    Free Member

typo!! 67.5 deg H.A

Helvetica85
    Free Member

I have a Surge in Large…

It weighs 6.1 lb so the medium will be a bit lighter I would have thought.
    I’m running Dual Air Pikes, 1×9, Thomson, SLX bits + Hope Hoops/DT 5.1’s and it comes in at 28 lb. Head angle is 67 and BB is at 322mm (with 2.3 Spesh Eskars) so your sums are spot on.

It climbs just fine, never feel the need to shorten the fork. 4-5hours outings are OK, the rides definitely not harsh, but multi-day XC would be a bit much. It think those fat seat stays make up for the chain stays which are quite heavily crimped to allow for fat tires.

One thing worth mentioning though is the seat angle is not as steep as a 456 or BluePig, so the saddle moves back quite a bit with the seat post right up high. I’m happy with it as it stretches you out on longer in the saddle rides.

It’s one of the funnest bikes I’ve have owned for sure. On paper it’s not far off a P7, but it’s a hell of a lot cheaper.

mrbump
    Free Member

cheers, thats very helpful.
    i would be going for a simular build and would be happy with 28lb.
    seat angle woulb been solved with a zero set back post but will look into that further.
    my build would be,
    fox van rl 140mm
    race face atlas fr cranks
    slx gears
    sunline am stem
    funn fatboy bars
    control tech seat post
    gusset r series saddle
    avid elixirs
    hope pro 2 with mavic en521
    high roller 2.35
    shimano dx pedals

RealMan
    Free Member

One of the guides in the Alps on a holiday I went to had one, he loved it. It makes a great noise when you flick the downtube as well. Looks cool as well.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I have a Sovereign with a similar build to what you described and can happily churn around on it all day. It’s best for seat down woodland demolition, though.
    Having played around on Surges, I reckon one would be similarly well suited to longer XC stuff, as well as hooliganistic blatting on descents.
    Also, the new ones come in the best shade of green ever applied to a bicycle. Ever.

mrbump
    Free Member

that green frame is last years model and yes it is very nice!! but ive search everywhere and no where has any left. fortunately this years white frame is also pretty sweet.

mrbump
    Free Member

ive just manage to get hold of a 2011 ns surge in black 15 inch.
    can’t wait to build it up!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘as anyone got an NS surge?’ is closed to new replies.