Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 256 total)
  • Are Roadies Odd?
  • KINGTUT
    Free Member

Torq ones are pretty palatable.

The yogurt ones are flippin great.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

gels or tea shops?….tough lot these cyclists

njee20
    Free Member

Yes the strawberry yoghurt ones are the best. They're not cake though…

poppa
    Free Member

I remember on one of my first ever solo bike rides, just as I was starting out, I was riding round the coast south of the new forest on my £200 Pinnacle commuter bike when I came across some road cyclists.

I heard one of them say 'Look! This ones got slick tyres!' Then they invited me to 'Tuck in!' and had a chat about where they had been etc. etc. It was all very nice, and quite surreal at the time.

IanMunro
    Free Member

There's a roadie forum somewhere at the moment where they're laughing at all the wobble bottom mountain bikers who can't ride for more than 30 minutes without needing cake. 😉

njee20
    Free Member

No there isn't, because they don't care! It's only mountain bikers with egos so fragile that they expect everyone to say hello to them!

poppa
    Free Member

Oh, and the title of this thread is slightly ironic. What does the 'average person on the street' think of MTBers?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Why don't you 2 go back there then?

njee20
    Free Member

Go back where!?

Netdonkey

Oh dear what have I started….

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Yes the strawberry yoghurt ones are the best. They're not cake though…

Flapjack followed by a strawberry yogurt torq gel FTW!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Netdonkey – Member

Oh dear what have I started….

Exactly want you wanted I expect.

DezB
    Free Member

I think road riding for pleasure is a little odd, but then I'm sure there a millions of people who think riding round in circles on muddy hills is a little odd.
    For the record 2 roadies on Sunday said a friendly "Hello" to our group of MTBers. I rode to work on a road bike today.
    I do prefer cake to gels myself.

Netdonkey – Member
    Oh dear what have I started…

A thread with lots of differing opinions and a few shirty responses. Gosh how bloody unusual on STW!!!

njee20
    Free Member

Flapjack followed by a strawberry yogurt torq gel FTW!

Smear gel on a flapjack? Could work!

Netdonkey

Exactly want you wanted I expect.

Not exactly. I did not anticipate the strong opinion, it was more of a gel vs cake comment gone wrong!

njee20
    Free Member

So surely Kingtut and I have brought harmony through the union of gel and cake?

swallow
    Free Member

only problem with cycling on the road is you have to share it with cars

finbar
    Free Member

I think road riding for pleasure is a little odd

Really? It's not exactly a quantum leap from offroad riding for pleasure is it. Is it?

oldgit
    Free Member

I like roadies humour, it's very dry. There isn't really a them and us, I was very surprised to find out that a staunch and well old roadie I know owns a Maverick full susser.
    With roadies it's all very simple you get a bike and kit that does the job and you go ride it lots. There's none of this 'what ABC for XYZ' malarky. You just keep it and you well looked after and get on with it.

Just look at road forums there proper dull places and the reason is, you've got a road bike, there's the road what else do you need to know?

Edit. sorry cake every time and coffee, if I'm going to stop.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Oldgits right, roadie forms are very boring for all the right reasons.

ourmaninthenorth

I'm going to ride my road bike off road for most of my 20 mile commute home tonight.

I wasn't planning on eating anything (it's only 20 miles).

Will I die?

tracknicko
    Free Member

Are mountainbikers whiney one-uppers who care far more for their light weight bikes than their overweight arses?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I'm going to ride my road bike off road for most of my 20 mile commute home tonight.

I wasn't planning on eating anything (it's only 20 miles).

Will I die?

Yes you will, however if you use my new flapgel(tm) you will surely sprint to the finish.

oldgit
    Free Member

Have any roadies on here noticed that it's getting actually quite 'cool' to stop for food again. The current trend is to add a few miles but grab some good coffee en route.
    I think that's down to team blogs, they all seem to stop for coffee or waffles.

njee20
    Free Member

Your new flapgel? Excuse me, this is a partnership venture!

I'm not a big eater on the bike personally, when training for a 12 hour solo last year I did 110 miles on 3 bottles of High 5 and a Mars bar.

oldgit
    Free Member

Flapgel 😆
    That's going into my 'over 60's biking terms' along with, waterbutt = Camelbak, Everpedal = Fixie, Hand telly = i-Phone.

ourmaninthenorth

Yes you will, however if you use my new flapgel(tm) you will surely sprint to the finish.

Can you make some up and courier it over to me? Could do with it for around 5.30pm.

Phew. Saved from myself.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Your new flapgel? Excuse me, this is a partnership venture!

God it's tough at the top.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I love these threads, it always exposes the narrow minded, immature members of the forum, or the ones that are actually 12 years old and pretending to be grown ups, or the folk who just haven't got a clue.

biggest bunch of lycra wearing weirdos on the f***ing planet, they never talk or say hello , and alweays look they are in loads of pain, heaven forbid if your on a mountain bike and say hello.

Perhaps 'they' never say hello or talk to you because you come across as a complete fanny?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member
    I love these threads, it always exposes the narrow minded, immature members of the forum, or the ones that are actually 12 years old and pretending to be grown ups, or the folk who just haven't got a clue.

Perhaps 'they' never say hello or talk to you because you come across as a complete fanny?

Oh teh ironing! 😀

poppa
    Free Member

@oldgit

Surely that's because of the supposed endurance enhancing properties of caffeine?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ride an MTB most of the time but a road bike occasionally – prefer MTBing but road riding is fun. Funny how you have to be very minimalist – just a saddle bag and nothing else! I therefore tend to buy food rather than try and stash it in the bag. On the MTB I just fill the Camelbak.

I do think many roadies are too single minded and therefore a bit odd but most seem fine.

Oh and for food in the move – try Mule Bars. You'll never go back once you try one.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Oh and for food in the move – try Mule Bars. You'll never go back once you try one.

I have and I did.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Funny how you have to be very minimalist

Absolutely nothing to stop you being the same on a MTB, Camelbacks are not compulsory I haven't used one in years.

njee20
    Free Member

I have and I did.

+1

Absolutely nothing to stop you being the same on a MTB, Camelbacks are not compulsory I haven't used one in years

Also +1

Road ride: 2 tubes, CO2, multi tool, phone, keys
    MTB ride: CO2, multi tool, phone, keys.

I travel light when I ride my MTB!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I have never once heard a roadie describe how great a road was to ride, unless it's going up a hill. That's quite odd. Then again a lot of mountain bikers never seem to notice the view either.

oldgit
    Free Member

Absolutely nothing to stop you being the same on a MTB, Camelbacks are not compulsory I haven't used one in years
    Also +1

Road 1 x tube & levers, 4mm alan key with 5mm adaptor, road morph on frame or back pocket, phone.
    MTB 1 x tube & Co2, levers, multitool in micro bag under saddle, phone in back pocket.

njee20 I don't trust Co2 on road tyres anymore as they can sometime inflate too quickly trapping the tube under the tyres bead.

Netdonkey

njee20 I don't trust Co2 on road tyres anymore as they can sometime inflate too quickly trapping the tube under the tyres bead.

Gel flaps could fix that!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I don't trust Co2 full stop, I have a leyzene mini pump that works rather well, stashes in a jersey pocket no problem.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 256 total)

The topic ‘Are Roadies Odd?’ is closed to new replies.