• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by joat.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone go Running/Duathlon?
  • YellowBelly
    Free Member

Does anyone on here do any running?

I entered an off-road duathlon last weekend as an incentive to get in shape after xmas. Done a few runs in the lead up to the event but the running section was shockingly poor. I did OK for me (37th overall, 11th quickest MTB bit out of 200).

Anyone got any tips for running quicker? Would quite like to do another event at some point.

Your top tips please folks

Keva
    Free Member

run more often and run fast during training. If you never run fast in training you can’t expect to be able to do it on the day. Some intervals and hill reps should sort you out.

Kev

phil.w
    Free Member

I’ve been doing some 10k trail races this winter and split my training into…
    1)long hill reps – 300m ish
    2)short hill reps (sprint) – 70m ish
    3)long runs – at least 50% longer than race distance
    4)10k runs – mixture of fast, normal or recovery paced and VO2 sessions

I don’t structure my training too much, just pick from the list depending on how I am feeling.

The hill reps have helped a lot in performance gains.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Good advice above. If you want to run or cycle faster, then simply run or cycle faster in training.

For running try sprints uphill, it’ll make your legs turnover faster to increase their speed and put less pressure on your legs. Short sprints of say 20 to 40 seconds with a full recovery, probably looking at between 6 to 10 depending on fitness/experience.

takisawa2

Started after xmas, entered a nice easy 10k in March as a goal. Carrying a few stone more than I should, so slow & steady for me. Into 6th week now, 3 runs a week. Couldnt do a mile at start, but comfortably doing 5 miles now. Times arent great, just under 10mins /mile, but feeling good & its definiteley making a difference on the bike. I’m never going to be a wippet, so content with being able to run for an hour, albeit slow.

Keva
    Free Member

phil.w – just out of interest what are your 10k trail times with that sort of training ? My hill reps were much shorter than yours, 20-30m but I’d include 10-15 burpees at the top then jog back down, rest in plank position then repeat. + I never ran further than 7 miles.

Kev

BlobOnAStick

As per Phil W, mix your training up.

Although I’m still not fast, I improved greatly by doing roughly the following (each step to be taken in order):

1) Run comfortably for an hour and measure how far you ran.
    2) Run 1/4 of this distance in 12 minutes, repeat 3 times resting for 3 minutes between each rep.
    3) Sprint session: Measure out about 200m, sprint 1 length 6 times resting between each 200m length but reducing the rest between each one (i.e. run/rest 1m30s/run/rest 1m15s/run/rest 60s/run/rest 45s/run/rest 30s/run). Repeat 3 times (4 if you can manage!)
    4) Hill session: Find a hill about 800m long and run up it/jog down. You’re trying to aim for consistancy not speed and for it to take about twice as long to jog down as it did to run up. Repeat 8 to 10 times.
    5) Run about 1.5 times the distance you are aiming to compete over.
    6) Run the distance you will compete over at ‘race’ pace measure your time and marvel at the huge performance increase 🙂

Repeat.

The real eye-opener for me was how much quicker I became after a couple of the crazy sprint sessions – it was almost as though this taught me just how high my heart rate could go and therefore how little I was pushing myself on the longer runs.

Hope this helps.

Ben

lumberjack
    Free Member

Great advice already, I’ve never had a problem with endurance, mainly because I’m a stubborn bugger, but I’ve found sprint or HIIT (high intensity interval training) to be great. My local running club does a interval session, I find I get more out of it training with other people.

I’ve done some roadie duathlons, but never an off road one, sounds like good fun – where/when? Is it a series??

How did you find the transistion from bike to run? I remember that being very odd the first few times!

phil.w
    Free Member

kev – difficult to put a time on trail runs as they are all so different, my last ’10k’ race came in at 13k 🙂

On average though around 55mins with 400 – 500m ascent. For fast training sessions I’ve been doing road 10k’s in 35 – 40 mins.

AdamML
    Free Member

If there’s a running track nearby then that’s a good place to do the sprint intervals. I do 400m “flat out” followed by 200m recovery and keep going until I can’t go any further.

For some strange reason, I really enjoy these sessions…

Also I’d echo what BlobOnAstick says about running further than the distance you’re planning on racing over (unless you’re doing a marathon perhaps…)

YellowBelly
    Free Member

Cheers – looks like sprint hill intervals is the way to do it. (Oh no, turbo trainer session except running!!)

Event was “Fearless Duathlon” at Llandegla, run excellently by uberfit & would recommend it to others. Think it was a ‘one off’ event

Done transition from bike to run before the event so I’m familiar with the wierd sensation of the switch over. Didnt really get going on second run in the event so didnt get the wierd feeling.
    Fk me, 10K in 35-40mins is going some, my 5K training run best is around 22min at present.

takisawa2

Fk me, 10K in 35-40mins is going some,

The course record for the 10k that I’ve signed up for is 29min. 😐

lumberjack
    Free Member

God damned triathlete’s, thats got proper science in it.

Thanks though, bookmarked so I can read it properly.

joat

Just put one foot in front of the other- but more often.
    Sorry… so many replies, so little sarcasm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone go Running/Duathlon?’ is closed to new replies.