Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anyone else find changing disc pads almost impossible?
  • chubby_monk
    Free Member

Aaargh. I’m having to have a break before I throw my bike out of the window.

Tried pushing pistons in as much as possible, but can I get the buggers in with that damn spring? Er no.

jedi

lol. 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Been there. Rubbish Promax calipers were part of the problem. Had to get something in form the other side to push various bits out the way.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I’m guessing Avids?

andytherocketeer

only bit that’s hard is removing the tiny microscopic retainer C-clip (on Formula Oros) without it either pinging across the room or lodging itself in your eyball.

chubby_monk
    Free Member

Yeah avids. I’ll get there, but I feel it shouldn’t be this problematic. Thinking about it – it’s not this problematic on the front

BoardinBob

When I’ve had problems with Avids it’s been due to too much paint on the pads. A quick scrape with a stanley knife removes the paint and the pads slip in easily.

Clark’s pads have been the worst for this.

Wally

Avids are a pain.
    Hope/formula/hayes all much easier.

druidh
    Free Member

Avids are awful.

mrmo
    Free Member

buy Shimano they seem to have thought that you might want to change the pads. Something Avid never considered.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Snapped my leatherman changing a mates pads at the top of a chairlift in france in a heavy sleet storm as he was down to the metal – what fun that was – his bike nearly got horsed !

Dont get me wrong avids are usually easy when well maintained but his front had pumped up due to heat of zero friction material ! And poorly maintained – he binned them when he got home they were nowt but problems all week !

ahwiles
    Free Member

i saw the thread title, and thought: avids.

they’re crap.

tonyg2003

Yep got rid of the avids on my bikes. Now all shimano and it’s a pleasure to change the pads. Not bling – just functional.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Hope a great very simple.

chubby_monk
    Free Member

Well it’s done now, but they aren’t half squealing (can’t please some people, eh?).

Might research some new ones – at least I don’t have to change the pads that often. More often than my old hope mono minis though. I didn’t have to change the pads in 6 years!

BigJohn

I usually just fit 1 pad at a time because it’s too tight with 2 new ones.

epicyclo

ahwiles – Member
    i saw the thread title, and thought: avids…

Me too 🙂

Shame that the BB7s are not top loading.

Rickos
    Free Member

Don’t you just need to wind off the contact adjuster and then the pistons will push back fully?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

My Juicy 3s were an absolute biatch to change pads in. It was that stupidly designed retaining clip. Why didn’t they just use a bolt like everyone else?!

Meanwhile, my Formula Oros and RXs are dead easy to do.

thejesmonddingo

I’ve never had a problem with my Elixirs.

takisawa2

Elixirs are a doddle.
    Juicy’s nightmare…but doable.
    Take off the caliper & bolt upside down to back of mount with one bolt. Then two flat bladed screwdrivers in scissor pattern to spread the pistons.

Elixirs are a doddle though.

TiRed

Found my Juicy 3 and BB7 to be straightforward. My bikes hang vertically from the front wheel and I just unbolt the caliper and open the pistons. Shimanos are however easier still.

Hareydan
    Free Member

What make are the pads? I found cheap, inbranded pads were a lot thicker than the hope ones so could only change them one at a time. I bought shitloads of them as well, will be going back to genuine hope ones when they finally run out!

coogan
    Free Member

What Rickos said. I made the mistake of not winding the adjuster. Did it the next time and it was as simple as changing pads on any other brakes.

PJay
    Free Member

My Avid BB7s were a nightmare, the pads seemed to weld themselves into the calipers and refuse to come out! As other have said, Shimano pad removal (I’ve had M575s and M585s) is an absolute doddle.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

No problem with my Elixirs, Hope Mono Minis on the other hand are a pain.

allyharp

My Juicy 5s were a nightmare to change pads on, and this was the primary reason I switched to Shimano.

A tip that made it a little easier though is use a Tesco keyring clubcard (if they still make them) to help you insert one at a time. It seems to be the perfect size! Insert the first pad and spring, using the clubcard so the spring doesn’t touch the opposite side. Then the 2nd pad should freely fit behind the clubcard. Pull out the card and both pads are in with the spring placed correctly.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else find changing disc pads almost impossible?’ is closed to new replies.