Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Anyone else completely rubbish at setting up gears?
  • Special_ized_Jamie

Been riding for 15 years still can't setup my gears without them skipping. Watch videos etc and just don't get it!

I'm sure if someone offered a 30min course in setting them up I would be first in the queue!

james
    Free Member

Nope, just read the shimano instruction sheet and its a doddle (so long as your cables/outers aren't bunged up)

grumm
    Free Member

Rear one I can do easily – front one I find really hard for some reason.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PJM1974
    Free Member

I can't get the hang of front gears either.

Swapping to SRAM shifters and mech made my life a little easier for sorting out the back though 🙂

wwaswas

the Park Blue book finally cured me.

that and getting 2/5ths of my bikes singlespeeded and thus having time to focus on the others.

bassspine
    Free Member

It's not rocket science. I teach bike maintanance, what's so difficult? I can show you,where are you based?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I do im useless.

This saturday i have set a whole day aside to try and set up my new build1 I reckon i'll need every minute and a crate of beer.

wwaswas

it'll take less time if you save the beer 'til you've finished…

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

thats what its for ha, a reward for spending a whole day doing what most on here could do in 10 minutes.

I just don't understand the screws and what does what. I will learn though.

Special_ized_Jamie

Based in Bristol so if anyone nearby can take me through it and I supply the beers that works for me!

I know the logic just can seem to put it into practice! Other things are fine like stripping my forks and swapping out all the internals but gears argh!!!

Using Sram X9 which I am sure is easy its just become my nemesis!

Special_ized_Jamie

Also I don't have a work stand which makes it all a complete pain in the arse!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Things I've learned from setting up gears….

Front – make sure cage is parallel with rings and at correct height before adjusting anything
    Rear – set H/L limit screws by eye with chain off
    Cables – give 'em a few 'pings' after setting up (unless running full length outers) then take up the slack (at the cable clamp) when in smallest cog/ring. Make sure any outer cable end caps are firmly seated
    Bar adjusters – set 'em half in/out initially so you have adjustment either way

Other wise just follow the Shimano/SRAM guide and it's not that difficult really….

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Im in the same boat in that i don't have a work stand. I guess thats the main problem. i seem to spend most of my time trying to get the back wheel off the floor.

I'll have to try the upside down technique this weekend.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Someone told me to set them up with the chain off, by line of sight (top jockey wheel shifting inline to each cassette chain ring) and it has worked every time, just requiring slight adjustment for perfect slick change. I also can't quite get the hang of front gear set up.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So ill try without the chain on, so for the initial cable attachment do i just tighten it to the mech taut as it sits against the bike?

At the moment i just have the mech mounted and the cable thread through the outers so not attached to the rear mech yet.

hilldodger
    Free Member

seem to spend most of my time trying to get the back wheel off the floor.

Car axle stand under the BB, bit of rag as padding.
    You'll either be at the bars changing (so can hold the front end down) or at the mech adjusting (so can hold the back end up)

hilldodger
    Free Member

So ill try without the chain on, so for the initial cable attachment do i just tighten it to the mech taut as it sits against the bike?

set the range of the mech by eye using the H/L screws and 'pushing' the mech body by hand. When almost right, allow mech to return to lowest position, thread cable through clamp, pull cable inner taught and tighten the clamp bolt.

Replace chain, make sure you can still get lowest gear then adjust the indexing using the barrel adjusters….

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Car Axle stand? not got one of those. Im not sure i even know what one is? Is it like the jack?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

cheers hilldodger, it seems so simple but i guess it's only easy if you know how.

the-muffin-man

Anyone else completely rubbish at setting up gears?

Nope – I'm a gear set-up god!!! 🙂

jordie
    Free Member

invest in a work stand makes every job that little bit easier.Then it is practise just look at how they work tighten the cable mech goes one way slacken cable the mech goes the other way.I fand spining the pedal while working the barrel you can see what is happening.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Car Axle stand? not got one of those. Im not sure i even know what one is? Is it like the jack?

Sort of like a jack without the jacking bit 😉

If you're not sure what all the screws do, take time to look at the mech before you fit it, flex the mech by hand and get a feel of how it moves and see where the screws make contact with the stops.
    There's only 3 screws – the H and L are side by side and adjust how far the mech can move at both extremes of the lever (ie High and Low gear) and the mysterious 'B screw' which adjusts how close to the cassete the mech hangs.

Most problems come from randomly adjusting the screws or problems with cable routing – I only find it easy cos I've fecked it up so many times and learned from my mistakes 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

In my case, as Hilldodger says, but don't replace the chain, adjust the indexing barrel by line of sight (top jockey wheel changing inline with each chainring). Once your happy that the mech is changing approx inline with each chainring, replace the chain and ride it and adjust to perfection by 1/4 turns. You should be able to get it nearly right by line of sight with just a bit of chain clicking, slight adjustment will make it perfect, in my experience.

GJP
    Free Member

I do everything that hilldodger recommends bar pinging the cables a couple of times.

However, I find it a bit hit and miss in that some times it seems to work perfectly and everything shifts smoothly or it is perfectly fine bar one shift and no amount of fiddling will sort it out.

I find front mechs are a pain without a bike stand or some other method to get the BB near eye level.

hilldodger
    Free Member

However, I find it a bit hit and miss in that some times it seems to work perfectly

I once had that glorious magical day when a 'straight from the box' mech needed no adjusting from the outset – possibly one of my best 'non-riding' bike moments 8)

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Just out of interest and if worst comes to worst how much would i be looking at for my LBS to set the gears up for me? Are we talking silly amounts for an easy job?

This will be last resort, i promise to give it a good go first myself.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Unless you break something trying – I guess it would be half an hours job max, no idea what that work out as these days…..

Zoolander
    Free Member

Rear mech is simples but front mechs do my head in when they don't have the spacer in to set them up. That said my rear mech system seems to be completely locking up sometimes when changing down to the smallest sprocket sometimes at the mo and I can't figure it :/

Special_ized_Jamie

Right I think it's working well! Proof will be on Sat's ride. Should be a dry one so small amounts of dust should be the only thing interfering with my changing.

Not holding my breath but seems to have done the trick*

*Used the no chain method above made life a lot easier thanks chaps!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Jamie
    I'd go out for a short ride and put the gears under some strain, adjust the barrel to line it up perfectly, you probably won't have set it up perfectly by line of sight. In my experience, it requires a 1/4 turn or 2 of adjustment to get it absolutely in line.

teagirl
    Free Member

I'm hopeless but then that's what the LBS is for!

Special_ized_Jamie

Woop Woop trial ride in Leigh Woods went well, no skipping!

Beer time me thinks!

toppers3933
    Free Member

im in leicester and if anyone ever wants to be shown how to set up their gears just let me know.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am crap I think I have got them right then the rear mech will skip.

avalanche
    Free Member

Park tools website explains gear setup really well. Have a read through and understand BEFORE you start swinging spanners on your bike. A loop of rope from the rafters in your shed or a tree makes a fine bike maintainance stand. Also a good idea to start with new cables.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Rears I am ok at, front gears I hate. That is why my two bikes are a 9 speed and a singlespeed.

Shorty121
    Free Member

I find my XT difficult because I get it to shift down fine but then it won't shift up fine 🙁

theotherjonv

everything said above except I only wind my adjusters out by about 1/3 when fitting new cables. That way you still have the necessary few 1/4 turns up or down to trim the mech perfectly but when the cables stretch you still have the bulk of your adjustment to take up slack as opposed to slacken off.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Shorty
    Try taking the chain off, put the bike upside down, set the gears up by by line of sight. ie by adjusting the barrel so the top jockey wheel is clicking thru the gears inline with each cassette chain ring. Replace the chain and ride the bike adjusting the barrel by 1/4 (or 1/3rd) turns to fine tune.

jj55
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else completely rubbish at setting up gears?’ is closed to new replies.