Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 161 total)
  • Any smokers giving up?
  • freddyg
    Free Member

My new variable voltage battery turned up yesterday. Charged it up and had a go! On the highest setting, the couple of flavours I tried weren’t very nice at all, they tasted burnt. Medium wasn’t much better while the lowest was palettable – but not as good as the stock battery. I guess the lowest setting on the VV battery is still higher than the stock?

Anyhoo. Has anyone any recommendations for decent Juice manufacturers? T’Artist, do you make your own?

steve-g
    Free Member

Day, errrrrrr, 26 today I think.

I’m about ready to stop counting the days, move on, and forget the whole smoking for 15 years thing ever actually happened

scaled
    Free Member

This not smoking is a load of old bollocks!

Yeah, I’m faster on the bike, generally feel better and i’m better off but WHY DO I STILL WANT TO SMOKE?!

I gave up before Christmas (cold turkey) and haven’t smoked since but it’s a real daily battle at the moment.

I don’t want to get in to the whole vapeing thing if i can help it but if the alternative is getting back on the fags then it’s definitely preferable :/

binners

I packed in at the end of november. I could still murder a cig. I could quite happily light one up right now. Then be back on 15-20 a day by tomorrow. Then hate myself for it. Repeat to fade.

Hence the e-cig. Lesser of 2 evils as (as far as we know) it isn’t actively conspiring to kill me

Hohum
    Free Member

scaled – Member

This not smoking is a load of old bollocks!

Yeah, I’m faster on the bike, generally feel better and i’m better off but WHY DO I STILL WANT TO SMOKE?!

I gave up before Christmas (cold turkey) and haven’t smoked since but it’s a real daily battle at the moment.

I don’t want to get in to the whole vapeing thing if i can help it but if the alternative is getting back on the fags then it’s definitely preferable :/

It would have taken years to become a fully fledged smoker and unfortunately it will take years to fully extinguish that smoker element in yourself.

Take heart that the desire to diminish will gradually fade away and those moments when you really want a smoke will be less frequent and shorter.

It does get easier, honest 🙂

khani
    Free Member

Anyhoo. Has anyone any recommendations for decent Juice manufacturers?

Totally wicked red label is ok, Absinth is my fave at the mo, aniseed is good, and the Patriot range is ok as well,
    Avoid dark chocolate and piña colada..
    As for the vv battery, I find gloopier liquids need a lower voltage and thinner liquids work well at a higher voltage,
    And prime the atomiser by taking it off the battery and sucking through it a few times.

yossarian
    Free Member

I struggle to remember what motivated me to smoke. I like and understand the idea of taking in really deep breaths to chill me out, I’m cool with taking a drug that gives me a head rush, using it as a conduit for other recreational drugs and I’ve no problem with the whole social/looking cool/rebellious nature of smoking.

What I can’t work out is why I would choose a product that achieved all of those things and killed me at the same time. Is it 69 known carcinogens or something? You need to be a total **** to smoke fags these days don’t you? I still occasionally crave a smoke but the idea of murdering myself puts me off.

Jamie
    Free Member

I packed in at the end of november. I could still murder a cig.

I’ll make you an offer, Binners.

You can murder a cig, on the proviso I then get to murder you.

Deal? 8)

freddyg
    Free Member

After my experience with the menthol supplied with the Totally Wicked kit, I’d prefer to steer clear, TBH. Although, looking at their site, the Absinthe does sound nice.

Hi guys – sorry to the couple of people that have been trying to contact me – been off the radar/snowed under the past couple of days. Will get back to you this afternoon

binners

Sounds like a deal Jamie. Its not so much that I’d probably enjoy a fag. I don’t think I would. But I think I’m still conditioned to think that I would. So its the IDEA of a cig that I really fancy. I suppose the fact that I now recognise this is progress. If I succumbed and had one (which I’ve no intention of actually doing) it’d probably be rank!

freddyg – I’ve settled on the Totally Wicked Green Apple after trying a good few. Its a cae of finding the one you like. Everyones different

therag
    Free Member

The dreams and nightmares are bizarre. Murders, winnings & cheating all part of every sleep,been told this only lasts upto three weeks and is a good sign.

drapper
    Free Member

I’m a real believer in cold turkey and no aids to ween you off! gave up about 5 years ago a 15 a day habbit – not much but was killing my biking and asthma – its really hard and required will power but I think its the only way to go.

pondo

^^^WHS. 15 years a smoker, gave up seven years ago, just cold turkey’d it (although I’d just got together with the now Mrs Pondo, and I think having a strong incentive really, really helped). Be strong folks, it can be done – takes a long time for the longing to really disappear, but in practical terms, giving up smoking is easy – all you have to do is never smoke another. Easier said than done, but it was what kept me going.

The difference for me with using an e-cig, is that having gone cold turkey before for 6 months, starting smoking again was really easy.

Been using an e-cig for 9 months now and to be honest, when I’ve been out with the lads on the beers, I’ve asked to try a fag – had 2 drags and threw it away, as it tasted disgusting.

So for me cold turkey = always the chance I’ll start again. E-Cigs = no chance of starting again.

That said, obviously I’m still getting nicotine, but I’m on a very low strength and giving these up would be a damn sight easier than giving up the cancer sticks I reckon.

binners

If you were looking for an incentive to pack in smoking then yesterdays weather provided it. Where I work we’re exposed to the full blast of Pennine weather. I was making a brew in the lovely warm indoors, and looking out of the window, watching 2 daft sods outside in the smoking shelter*. It was literally blowing a gale and sheeting down horizontally. I allowed myself a little chortle at the thought that for most of my adult life I’ve been that bloody stupid! Not any more 😀

* The word shelter is used figuratively in this instance, as it provides absolutely no protection from the elements whatsoever

nealglover
    Free Member

Anyhoo. Has anyone any recommendations for decent Juice manufacturers?

I’ve tried menthol from pretty much every juice manufacturer over the last 5 years. And there are some decent ones.

If you want a non sweet menthol then Decadent Vapours is the one to buy in my opinion.

I’ve been using nothing but their Menthol for ages now and it’s fantastic. Proper sharp cold menthol flavour.
    Made in the UK too so the quality control is spot on.

As for kit, I’ve tried all sorts but generally find the more basic stuff to be the best and most reliable and with the least faff and hassle.

I use standard Ego batteries from Toby at iVapour Elixir in York. Combined with Low resistance Cartomisers.
    (And an ego cone purely for looks)

Dead simple, nothing to break/fail/leak etc. and a reliable flavour and hit.

Email Toby at iVapour if you need any help, he is always fast to reply and if you are local you can pop into his place in Haxby and collect stuff.

Decadent Vapours do make nice juices, if a tad expensive.

I’m currently trying all sorts of UK juices – some OK, some rank (freddyg – no, don’t have time to make my own up).

However, of the Chinese juices (it doesn’t have to be bad, just because it’s made in China) Hangsen is the world leader and to be honest, make some of my (and my customers) favourite juices. It’s SGS certified and the beauty of importing stuff means I can sell a big 30ml bottle for £6

freddyg
    Free Member

Neal, thanks for the Decadent Vapours tip – I’ll get a Menthol juice ordered – it sounds exactly what I’m looking for.

T’Artist. I’ve got a Hangsen juice (spearmint) and it’s quite nice, maybe a better atomiser would improve things. Thanks for the email, by the way.

I picked up a new juice last night (this is becoming more expensive than the fags!!) at a garage in Ulverston. I had a good read of the box; it’s 50/50 PG/VG and manufactured in the UK so thought I’d give it a go (for £3.95, why not?). Ice Lime by ibreathe, it’s bloody lovely. My favourite so far.

I find hangsen spearmint a bit weak. Strong spearmint is just right – and really nice mixed with Strawberry

freddyg
    Free Member

Yeah, actually you’re right. It is a bit weak. I’ve found that with most of the juices I’ve tried so far. The only exceptions being The Alchemists Totally Tropical and this new ibreathe Icy Lime.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I started on E-Lites in July ’11, which are rubbish IMO. Then quickly went onto ego battery and clearos (CE5). Haven’t moved much from there, now use ego batteries with Mini Nova and a Vivi Nova STV. I’ve just started re wicking my old atomisers, which appears to be straightforward and should save a fair amount of money.

Re juice.
    I tried quite a few in the early days, there weren’t that many that I didn’t like or couldn’t finish. Chocolate, licorice and Energy Cow(RedBull) are the only ones I’ve hated. I mixed the chocolate with orange/tangerine and it was ok. The EnergyCow is so sickly sweet it’s just for desperate times, if I ever run out.
    I like tobacco and fruits (and menthol sometimes, just for a bit of a change).
    Currently have a Vape Escape Cherry and a Cherry Cigar, a Decadent Vapours Aromatic Tobacco and a coconut and a DV Christmas selection pack which has stuff like MulledWine, cranberry, mince pie etc.
    Each purchase I tend to get a few I know I will like and a few 5ml samples.

nealglover
    Free Member

Decadent Vapours do make nice juices, if a tad expensive.

The pre mixed stuff is a bit more than some other yes, but the quality is worth it I reckon.

I mix my own using Decadent Vapours recipe and ingredients.

For 18mg Juice :

14 drops VG/PG 50/50 base.
    9 drops 54mg Angelic Decadence.
    7 Drops Menthol Flavour.

Gives LOTS of vapour, great flavour and a good throat hit.

It’s the only juice/flavour I ever use, and has been for at least 3 years.

Once you settle on your kit and your flavour it gets REALLY cheap. It’s just the early bit when you are buying loads of stuff to find what you like that seems expensive.

I’ve just bought a new battery (first one in 2 years) and my atomisers last 2/3 weeks at less than £1 each.

And the juice I mix costs £60 for a 300ml batch !

Compared with premix (with the same recipe/ingredients) at £180 for 300ml.

LoCo
    Free Member

On another note, is anyone else not enjoying a beer as much after stopping?
    Never drank excessivly but do like the odd glass of wine or beer.
    Last night half a bottle of beer wiith a curry and rest just went down the sink.

steve-g
    Free Member

Im with you, cheap beer is no longer passable and some food i used to like now taste wrong.

Im half cut, and looking for ways to spend the money I now find myself with so have hit the alchemists kitchen for some tropical action, hope its nice

freddyg
    Free Member

The Totally Tropical is nice.

My atomiser died last night after only a week. This morning I popped in to my local vape emporium and purchased a very cheap clearomiser (£3). Wow! What a difference! Am currently sat in clouds of delicious vape without any throat burn. Bloody lovely.

Next on the shopping list is a protank or an iclear 30s.

seosamh77
    Free Member

More or less a month now. 🙂 woohoo. Get zero urges at all these days even when drinking, all down to the ecig( I’m mixing a 0mg and 6mg just now to get 3.)!

therag
    Free Member

Still going, day 17 without a smoke, so nice going for a walk with the kids today and not walking a few meters away to stop them inhaling.

freddyg
    Free Member

A kit update….

I’ve started vaping just over a month ago now; since I started, I’ve only had one stinky cigarette. It was vile and I couldn’t finish it. No more smelly breath, yellow fingers or minging clothes!

I’ve bought a few bits and bobs to get me going. I started with a Totally Wicked Tornado Tank starter kit – bought very cheaply during one of their price drop events. It was “okay” but not enough.

A week later, my Tornado tank had completely given up the ghost – I wandered into a local shop to pick up a cheap emergency replacement and bought a £3 clearo with replaceable atomisers (an RT2 clearomiser from Vape HQ – single bottom coil with very short wicks (similar to a GS-H2??)). Wow! It blew me away! If this was what a cheap jobbie could do, I wanted to upgrade!!!

The following Friday, I went to a different local shop to sample a few of their juices and walked (wobbled!) out completely off my face and £20 lighter – 3x juices and a cheap clearomiser (generic top coil two wick affair). A vast improvement over the Tornado but not as good as the RT2).

Another week later I bought an iclear 16. Four wicks and two coils. I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. Thought I might have a duff atomiser so replaced it. No better.

Last Friday, I got the “shiny things” itch again, so ventured out and this time returned with a Kanger Mini Protank 2. Shiny, well made and solid. I couldn’t wait to get it home – so I didn’t. I topped it up in the car, let it sit for a few minutes then connected it to my battery…… Yeuch!!!! A really nasty experience. Like scratching the back of my throat or inhaling pepper. Vile! I put this down to the new 20mg grape juice. Got home, washed it out and tried again with something I’m familiar with (18mg ibreathe icy lime from my local garage!). Exactly the same result. Nasty.

Monday, I invested in a 1300mAh Vision Spinner. This has helped a little, but not much. Put the RT2 on it and it’s amazing.

Since then, I’ve done some reading and I think I experienced a ‘dry vape’ on the MPT2. Most unpleasant. Some research has suggested pulling wick fibres out amongst other things. I would rather it just worked out of the box as intended. However, yesterday, I tried reversing the rubber cap on the chimney (apologies if I have the terminology all wrong – I’m still a newbie 🙂 ) This has transformed the Protank mini into something I can now use. It still does not live up to my expectations, but is now usable. I still find I’m returning to my £3 RT2, however.

I’m now considering upgrading again as I search for the vape that meets my expectations. I’m not looking to make my own coils and have baulked at the cost of some of the mods available. Something good and reasonably priced will do….

Does anyone have any experience of the Davide King, Kanger Aerotank or the Aspire Nautilus?

LoCo
    Free Member

3 months (i think ) now no fags at all, on weakest patches, will start cutting these in half so only another week or two till totally free of any nicotine!

Beer tastes nice again as well, in moderation 😉
    And quicker on bike.

😀

Does anybody actually know what they’re breathing in off the vapes? obviously less bad than fags but still.

freddyg
    Free Member

Propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotene and some flavourings (sometimes natural, sometimes synthetic).

Unfortunately, you loose out on the other 4000 additives found in real tabs.

steve-g
    Free Member

Day 63 here, so 9 weeks

Kanger EVOD for hardware, and a 9 parts Decadent Vapours “choco caramel”, 1 part alchemists kitchen “mentally menthol” juice mix. Its like smoking a mars bar, with the cold minty aftertaste.

Half Marathon on Sunday, looking forward to the benefits that non smoking brings to my time. PB of 1:58 to beat

therag
    Free Member

6 weeks done, still think a smoke would be nice right now, every day, but it’s been so much easier than I expected.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Still off it must admit to having a the odd fag when blootered but only ever 1. About 5 or so all in since I started gaping in January. So pleased with that.

Defo noticing a big difference cycling these days. 🙂

darrenspink
    Free Member

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Deep breath.

freddyg – I find a Kanger PT3 (dual coil) works well on the Vision Spinner, but my favourite tank (which I usually use with my mods) is an I-clear 30S – just keeps on producing great vapour – better than the standard I-clear 30.

The MPT’s are really popular in the shop.

Just waiting on some Taifun GT’s and some mech mods. The Nautilus is supposed to be good 🙄

yunki
    Free Member

I had a few fags to help me through a tough Xmas, then a few more in the pub and I’m now back up to 10 or 15 per day..

I’ve never smoked when the kids are around though, at present I have them four nights per week and we stay on the 3rd floor of a smoke free building.. When the kids are here I use patches and a nicotine mouth spray.. My problem is at the moment, as soon as the kids go home on a Sunday evening, I’m straight to the shops for a small pouch on my way to the pub..

I’m really not too keen on a vapo because my problem with nicotine is as much to do with how irritable it makes me.. I need to quit nicotine altogether, not just fags..

It’s been one of the shittiest times of my life so far this year, and I’ve always struggled to quit during difficult circumstances.. Hopefully things will ease off a bit soon, I’ll adjust to the new routine and finally quit for good

The thing with vaping yunki, is that it’s really easy to cut down your nicotine. I started on 24mg and soon went down to 18/16, then 12 and now use 6mg – might try 0mg sometime soon.

I like vaping and the flavours, so still have an addiction of sorts, but my nicotine intake is down (as well as all the other crap)

Hohum
    Free Member

Given everything else that is going on in your life yunki I would not be too hard on yourself about smoking again.

Once other things settle down give it another go like you say.

I have now been smoke free for over 4 years. I think that I gave up in early March 2010, but can’t remember the exact date.

My son has been receiving talks about the effects of smoking at school this week and I feel pleased that I can say that I have given up.

My eldest is 14 and she doesn’t smoke, but she says that she sees lots of children her age smoking around school.

Well done to the others who have managed to stay smoke-free!

seosamh77
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    The thing with vaping yunki, is that it’s really easy to cut down your nicotine. I started on 24mg and soon went down to 18/16, then 12 and now use 6mg – might try 0mg sometime soon.

I’ve been trying to get to zero a few times, not managed it, tbh I’ve decided i’m just going to stick at the 6 for a while, give it a few months then cut again.

I think that’s been the reason for my weakness’s when drunk. albeit I have had a fair few nights out recently, so it’s not always.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘Any smokers giving up?’ is closed to new replies.