Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Any Rockies experts out there?
  • Wills1
    Free Member

Anyone know the Rockies well? I’m riding a few hundred miles of the Great Divide Trail in August, and wondering about possible trail stop-offs.

Riding with a loaded MTB, camping etc., but was thinking that if there are really good trails (half-day or day rides) along the way, I should go and ride a couple of them. Question is, where is good, assuming that I only have time to make a couple of stop-offs? Or what websites should I look at to find some trail guides / maps?

The route is approximately:

– Banff
    – Elkford
    – Sparwood
    – Fernie
    – Elko
    – Roosville (on the border)
    – Diversion to visit some people in Waterton National Park
    – Back on the trail to Whitefish
    – Seeley Lake
    – Finishing around Helena

XC bikes so no monster drops / North Shore etc. really sensible. But does anyone know where I should go for amazing singletrack, anywhere within reach of that route?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
    Wills

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I rode the divide 10 years ago out from the border and recall my first night by a beautiful lake just off a logging road. Was woken by a moose at 2 in the morning which I thought was a bear! Thankfully it wasn’t but watch the big stupid buggers they’re dangerous. Whitefish is a great little small town. Campsite to the north just put if town is good. Once past there, there is lots of places to wild camp if needed and the trails dropping into Helena are ace. In terms of other routes I didn’t do any that end of the divide but best thing is drop into the local shops and ask the locals with a map and pen in hand!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Any Rockies experts out there?’ is closed to new replies.