Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Any mental health nurses here?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

How’s work going for you?

I’ve recently come back from working in Oz for the last 2 years. Seems there’s sod all around work wise unless I want to work for £11 ph in a nursing home. The only interest I’ve had has been from Learning Diss care homes but I’ve got no experience of working with this client group (unless it’s secondary to an existing MH condition). I’ve looked at Wolves, Brum, Shropshire, South Staffs, Worcester, Hereford and there’s just nothing for me. Even tried getting on the bank for these trusts but they say there’s a freeze on as there’s been so many cutbacks the bank shifts are going to existing staff who are supplementing their diminishing shifts and workloads.

Is it like this across the country?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

TeeJ’s a mental health nurse I think. As is Philly, and possibly tazzy.

Coincidentally, they’re all a bit mental too. 🙂

noteeth
    Free Member

Is it like this across the country?

Everywhere is in deep freeze.

There’s not much in the way of jobs for newly qualified RNs, either… Impending skills gap alert. 🙁

TeeJ’s a mental health nurse

He’s a general adult nurse, iirc. Might be dual-trained, though – he does ride a tandem.

clubber
    Free Member

agency_scum is one too

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He’s a general adult nurse, iirc

Oh sorry, I think he is yes…geriatrics these days maybe?

Anyway, he’s still mental.

philconsequence works in mental health, I know that much and fits right in. I think barnsley-mitch might be one too. I got him mixed up with tazz_mtb for some reason.

noteeth
    Free Member

I got him mixed up with tazz_mtb for some reason

I used to think CFH flew helicopters. Barnsley-Mitch is a psych nurse, I think – forensics, perhaps.

STW needs its own page on Linkedin, thereby establishing just how many work hours are being wasted & in what industries. 8)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I used to think clubber was clever and worked in aerospace until I found out he’s a rag’n’bone man these days.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am general trained – its certainly a similar situation here in Edinburgh

dirtyrider
    Free Member

all the jobs going to people whose jobs are under threat in Lincoln, lots of places cutting back or closing,

new unit being built, going from 8 to 15 beds, bringing all out of area patients back in, no additional staff being employed

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Welcome to the tories NHS. Less staff must mean better care must it not?

philconsequence
    Free Member

aye psych nurse indeed, b’mitch is too.

julianwilson is mental health i think? i know there’s a couple of others!

no jobs anywhere around my parts, i’m currently getting paid about 20k less than i should be for my role and there’s nowhere to move to to rectify that fact!

tazzymtb

and possibly tazzy.

ahem….. I’m a health n safety expert 😳

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’re still mental though tazzy. 😛

tazzymtb

*blows a big kiss* cheers darling

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve got a nurses outfit.

noteeth
    Free Member

Interesting tag… 🙂

TSY – did she/he flee naked?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Looks like more fuel to the “lets go back to Oz” argument then. If anyone’s interested, there’s tonnes of jobs, excellent pay, relocation package and, they have something called “sun”.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The mental health centre I attended had it’s funding cut, so now it’s gone. Group work has been halved and is held In different venues as they can’t get a regular spot. I feel let down by the government but not the staff who treated me, they were all exceptional, some of who have had thier hours cut. Nice one Cameron you ****.

clubber
    Free Member

deadlydarcy

I used to think clubber was clever and worked in
    aerospace until I found out he’ s a rag’ n ‘bone
    man these days.

’tis true. mind you, I used to think that DD was a charmer like in some retro character from a book but I found out that he’s just your run of the mill bogtrotter 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

If there is you should be helping that last woman who was on x factor!!!!

chopper666
    Free Member

yeah. registered manager, private sector seems to be expanding well in this area. East Mildands. Locked rehab etc.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Managed to get a role as a CN in a private unit working with learning dis and forensic patients. Not my ideal role and I’m not keen on working with some of the clients due to their history but it’s job, the pay’s reasonable and it’ll do until I do all the paperwork to get back to Oz as a permanent resident.

hora
    Free Member

Welcome to the tories NHS. Less staff must mean better care must it not?

Are you willing to pay more taxes out of your own wage to fund a strangers wages that you’ll never meet or know?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Are you willing to pay more taxes out of your own wage to fund a strangers wages that you’ll never meet or know?

Without a shadow of a doubt, yes.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

You never know whats around the corner hora. One in four people will suffer with mental health problems at some stage, so there’s a distinct possibility that either you or someone you know may need the help of one of those ‘strangers’. The NHS was always, and in my opinion still should be, something to be proud of. It’s a shame that your chum Cameron doesnt see it that way.

thomthumb
    Free Member

hahahaha.

so we should only pay taxes to pay for people we know?

who collects your bins? i have no idea who does mine – they come before i get up, but they do a good job and i’m happy to pay for it.

hora
    Free Member

Calm down dear

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

A well thought out and intelligent response there hora… 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Quit bleating. He most certainly isn’t my chum. Neither was the murderer and the incompetent Scottish fella.

None of them are. This ‘administration’ continues a multi-billion pound war overseas that the last Government started.

All in the name of ‘war on terror’.

Billions best spent elsewhere.

project
    Free Member

aphex_2k , i left mental health care as a member of staff many years ago, after our dept got closed down due to cuts, there was nothing there in the so called community, as peeps didnt want nutters working next to them, so large houses where bought, and the patients diluted into these houses, with a few care staff, or a MHN visiting in frequently,they had litle to do, and felt lost away from the huge protective grounds of a large hospital, with its own patients canteen, and places to kip down in the grounds.

Sadly a lot went to prison, or died, either acidently or on purpose, nowadatys i still see a few of the younger patients walking round the local town, with no job, or purpose in life.

The old hospital has gradually been knocked down, now replaced by housing for the ones who can afford to pay the mortgages.

It seems so sad that anyone of can suffer from MH probs, yet so little money is allocted for it, as i was told by a senior manager in the General hospital, if you dont have tubes conected to you, and a machine going bleep, theyre no funding for your treatment.

Best wishes on getting a job though, in a very worthwhile proffesion.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Well managed to get a job. Although its more a prison role than mental health nurse. “Low” secure unit (20ft high fences all round) for learning disability but it turns out most of the patients are 37/41’s with serious forensic issues. They didn’t mention that on my interview!

So, I’m in the process of securing work back in Oz and aim to be there < 12 months time. Sorry UK, I’m off.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Any mental health nurses here?’ is closed to new replies.