Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Am I going to die?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Just devoured a sirloin steak I had kicking around in the fridge, ’twas delicious 😀 I’m a little worried now though as I just looked at the packet and the use-by date was yesterday 😯 AM I GOING TO DIE? Should I stick my fingers down my throat and purge? What should I do? What signs of impending doom should I look for? All advice accepted and appreciated 🙁

On an other related note, what the **** is a certain supermarket doing selling a steak with one day left on it’s ‘official’ use-by date? And at full **** price I might ad… b@stards 👿

druidh
    Free Member

Yes.

Eventually.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

mtfu

Moses

MTFU.
    You’ll be fine

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think you’ll be ok, I once drank some sour milk and I lived to tell the tale.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

did the steak smell / taste ok?

Use your common sense

ton

steak that smell strong, is very very dark and old looking is the best.
    pink is crap.

psychle
    Free Member

it smelt like meat… tasted like meat… my tummy is rumbling now… is this a bad thing?

Peregrine
    Free Member

Can’t do the linky thing but you get the idea.
    http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/contact.aspx

Be quick or be dead.

Coyote
    Free Member

No, eat more.

Seriously, a good meat supplier will hang meat for a while. Like Ton says, darker and mature is good. Pink and fresh, still good but not as good.

psychle
    Free Member

my visoin is starting to blur… my balance apeers to be affected… I can’t type as wlle… it’s gotta bethe meat

lowey

Ton’s right.

The best steaks are aged. Brown, sticky and slightly smelly, but when cooked are just ace.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

About 200 people die in England and Wales every year food poisoning – mostly caught from meat.

Symptoms include : ” Vomiting, abdominal cramps, blurred vision, diarrhea, fever and general tiredness. Blood poisoning (septicemia) and inflammation of the abdominal wall (peritonitis), and death.”

chewkw
    Free Member

If you are going to die you are going to die no matter what you eat. Prolong suffering or not.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If you are going to die you are going to die no matter what you eat.

What, you mean like when someone runs you over and kills you ?

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

Can you leave your bike to me please ?
    Do it soon you will be dead in the morning

brakes
    Free Member

dibs on first pick of his bikes

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch: “What, you mean like when someone runs you over and kills you ?”

Well how do you get run over in the first place? Bit too late thinking about it later …

psychle
    Free Member

falkirk has beaten you to it brakes, you’ll have to wait for 2nd’s

feeling better now btw, drinking more beer in the hope that the alcohol will act as an antibiotic and save me… we shall see 😀

CaptJon
    Free Member

AM I GOING TO DIE?

I’m a dr. I can say with absolute certainty that yes, you will die.

Ethics tell me i should declare that i’m a doctor of geography 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

If alcohol fails then try to find more gone off meat and eat as much as possible it’ll cancel the steak out and you’ll be fine*

*Disclaimer: I accept no responsibility to any health issues that arise if anyone tries that

slimtubing
    Free Member

think of it as increasing your pro biotics.

timber

you managed to stand in the same room to cook it, so it must be fine
    and if you’re one of those people who eat their steak cooked like boot leather, there is no chance of food poisoning as it no longer constitutes ‘food’

psychle
    Free Member

nope, ’twas still bleeding when I devoured it, 3 minutes or so each side… yum yum 😀

On a serious note, I’m sure I’ll be fine, I’m not even worried about it… just thought it’d be a fun topic for the forum this evening 😀

timber

a steak should be cooked so that a good vet could get it walking again, mmm, the blood

Sonor
    Free Member

Use your common sense

The trouble with common sense is that it ain’t common.

zaskar
    Free Member

Yes as I’m going to kill you on your next trail ride in the woods.

Best Before is mainly due to taste than overall food poisoning.

One day will be fine.

Do a google search for best before dates from food agency.

Best before:

‘Best before’ dates appear on a wide range of frozen, dried, tinned and other foods.

The ‘best before’ dates are more about quality than safety, except for eggs. So when the date runs out it doesn’t mean that the food will be harmful, but it might begin to lose its flavour and texture.

About a third of the food we buy ends up being thrown away and most of this could have been eaten. So think carefully before throwing away food that is past its ‘best before’ date.

However, you shouldn’t eat eggs after the ‘best before’ date. This is because eggs can contain salmonella bacteria, which could start to multiply after this date.

And remember, the ‘best before’ date will only be accurate if the food is stored according to the instructions on the label, such as ‘store in a cool dry place’ or ‘keep in the fridge once opened’.

So, if you want to enjoy the food at its best, use it by its ‘best before’ date and make sure you follow any instructions.

chvck
    Free Member

This is because eggs can contain salmonella bacteria, which could start to multiply after this date.

Oh! I usually eat eggs unless they float in water!

samuri
    Free Member

pffft!! I eat stuff all the time that’s way past it’s sell by date. You keep it in the fridge and it’ll be fine for awhile after the sell by. That includes chicken and eggs. Smell it, if it smells ok raw, it’s fine to eat cooked. Bleedin’ nanny society.

epicyclo

10 hours since we last heard of psychle – dead yet?

Coyote
    Free Member

you shouldn’t eat eggs after the ‘best before’ date. This is because eggs can contain salmonella bacteria, which could start to multiply after this date.

And remember, the ‘best before’ date will only be accurate if the food is stored according to the instructions on the label, such as ‘store in a cool dry place’ or ‘keep in the fridge once opened’“

Bollox. As my learned colleague says a good test of an egg’s freshness is the water test. If it sinks to the bottom, it’s fine. If it sits at a jaunty angle in the water you are still in with a chance. If it floats then get yourself down to Westminster and throw it an an MP.

Fruit and veg will keep for months if stored correctly, often NOT refridgerated. Common sense is required with food and good hygiene.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I never look at dates on food, just go by look and smell.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Am I going to die?’ is closed to new replies.