Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 224 total)
  • Am I being an ungrateful sod? Centreparcs content
  • molgrips
    Free Member

They are but all the associated crap isn’t

Top tip – you don’t need anywhere near as much crap as you think you do.

Treat it like bikepacking – trim down and bring what you really need. You’d be surprised how little that is.

martinhutch

Treat it like bikepacking – trim down and bring what you really need. You’d be surprised how little that is.

<Pictures OP shivering under a tarp in the forest>

Probably won’t be far from reality if he’s not careful. 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Lots of classic STW me-me-me infantilism from the usual suspects.

As WASWAS says she’s probably not up to planning the trip of a lifetime, just chill out and go with it – and book in a biking weekend in scotland/the lakes with the lads/lasses for when the sun’s shining.

aracer
    Free Member

You know what, you’re both wrong – but you’re more wrong than she is. If she knows you don’t like CP, then she’s wrong to book a 40th birthday present for you there – but then does she know you don’t like CP? She is also doing what almost all women do and being excited about the idea of being a family (when she’s not too tired to think) – which is where booking CP for a family holiday comes in despite her not having realised it’s not really great for a baby.

But you’re also wrong – firstly because you’re not giving CP a chance – I’d not enjoy a spa day either, but that’s not what you’re going for and it will be nothing like that. Admittedly I’ve never been to CP (too expensive for us), but I’ve been to Parkdean (static caravans, which I swore I’d never do), Butlins and Haven and despite initial reservations I’ve enjoyed all of them and will happily go back. It’s not compulsory that you do anything when you’re there, it’s just a place to stay, and you can make of it what you will – I take a sea kayak and a bike and get to go out and play somewhere new for an hour or so a day and spend the rest with the family. As others have said, take a bike and there’s good riding from the door. Go with the right attitude and you might just enjoy it.

You’re also wrong, because you are a family now and life isn’t the same – TBH your suggestions of booking a MTB holiday for your wife’s birthday aren’t at all comparable.

Finally you’re wrong because, well because men are always wrong and women are always right. It will make your life a lot easier if you learn this. I’m struggling to see what you’re gaining by upsetting your wife – probably a bit late for this now, but to come back to your first sentence you surely should have said “Centre Parcs?” with a wink and a leer.

mrhoppy

molgrips – Member
    They are but all the associated crap isn’t
    Top tip – you don’t need anywhere near as much crap as you think you do.

Hoppy jrs 1st bikepacking trip was at 3.5 years old.

Depends on what you’re doing though, if you’ve got to provide the travel cot in accommodation and you’ve got a buggy then you’re filling a room/boot pretty damn quick.

jkomo

You are completely correct. It’s pointless with a baby, but you may as well go along.
    We went with our boys aged 9 and 12 and they loved it, and I enjoyed them enjoying it.
    I have to say it’s really expensive and for people who like the idea of an active lifestyle, but want it all laid on for them.
    Saying all that, go along, take a bike to have a quick spin to get your shit together, then take baby for a swim, and have a beer playing pool or table tennis with the Mrs.
    Shit weekend to go though- start of school hols.

ransos
    Free Member

They are but all the associated crap isn’t.

It all fits in the car boot – what’s the problem?

Mrs R may well have a sensible Butlins avoidance strategy sorted out there.

Mrs R knows me better than that!

It’s not great, I’d not be too happy if I were in your position, but I’d try and see the positives.

This. You can get some time away, Mrs CD can have some time to herself, and you can ride your bike. Center Parcs isn’t my cup of tea either, but no point in ruining the weekend.

The difficulty is that most self catering accommodation doesn’t want to do weekend only

I’ve never had any trouble with weekends unless it’s during the school holidays.

aracer
    Free Member

I should probably mention that I mostly agree with all those (including the OP) suggesting it’s fairly pointless with a little one – when kids were small we did just book cottages or B&Bs, it’s only when the kids have got older we’ve got sucked into Butlins et al. I say mostly – because there is still the pool, which is presumably nice and convenient – TBH when we go to one of these places I reckon the pool is the facility we make by far the most use of, we’d be happy just to have that.

bigrich

until that child is six months old, your only role is to support your woman and subsume your needs for her mental and physical wellbeing.

you’re 40, stop sulking, suck it up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lots of classic STW me-me-me infantilism from the usual suspects.

Thankfully the erudite diplomatic types are here to spread calm and considerate debate as only they can 😉

stevied
    Free Member

My wife suggested CP for our summer holiday this year. Luckily both kids are not in school yet so we can go out of holiday time.
    I managed to persuade her to go for Bluestone in Pembrokeshire instead. My thinking was that there is a beach (Tenby) nearby so if the weather is good we can spend time on the beach, coastal walks etc.

Unfortunately there is no beach near Sherwood.. 😐

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m being heavily pressured to go to CP as well, Can’t think of anywhere else in the UK that I’d rather go less, apart from Warrington.

scotroutes

Thankfully the erudite diplomatic types are here to spread calm and considerate debate as only they can [/quote]This would be the wrong time to deploy the word “doormats” then?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, given that it’s not really appropriate.

djglover
    Free Member

Having just turned 40 I will jump to you’re defense. OK, it helps that our kids are much older, (twins, 7) but we send them to Grandmas whilst we went off for the weekend to sample some of the Restaurants that featured on the trip, I spent some time fell running whilst the Mrs was in the Spa

If she had suggested centre parcs with the kids I would have told her to get stuffed.

nickc

You know when you bought that lingerie for your wife that would’ve made a stripper blush, that you both knew was really a present to yourself?

This is your wife’s version of that

Go, smile, and try to look like you’re enjoying it.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

CP works. As in they make everything work there, food, activities, clean beds, entertainment. You are now part of a family of your own making and compromise is the central tenet of making that successful. You are allowed to be disappointed yes, but suck it up for now and next time round suggest you get to choose.

CP sells beer, acceptable food, you can ride your bike, you can leave and come back and there will be a big TV in your chalet to watch movies on. Go to the pool and play on the flumes. Enjoy the time with your wife and child Ya Numpty!

BTW 3 pages in before lunch is quite good.

aracer
    Free Member

Which would put me off a bit – as mentioned above I like to take my sea kayak on our holidays (only bought because I envisaged the future of beach holidays with the family). However we do also regularly go to CSMA at Whitemead in the FoD which isn’t near the sea, but we get to go out riding our bikes as a family from the door. So not very dis-similar to Sherwood. IIRC you’re local to me so that’s worth a look once you get them riding bikes, or even if they enjoy bike seats or trailers (though most of the places we go are a lot more downmarket than CP or Bluestone, that’s a lot less so).

I’m still really not getting all the CP hate – is it really that much worse than Butlins or Parkdean, or are you lot incapable of enjoying yourselves because it’s not quite where you’d choose to go even though you’re not actually forced to do anything?

willard

Despite not having kids, I’m going to jump on this thread and offer my own opinion…

My 40th birthday was spent in Addenbrookes Hospital watching, helpless, as my wife lost our second child at 21 weeks gestation. After that, pretty much everything is irrelevant and trite so, you now what, I’m going to suggest that you suck it up, pack your bike and go to CP with your wife and new child.

Yes, it might be a bit rubbish, but it’s better than what I went through on mine and, quite frankly, you’ll be with two humans that you love (hopefully) for the weekend. It is, after all, only a day. It’s not important, you don’t feel any better or worse for it, and the next day will be exactly the same.

ads678

I think you know your being an ungrateful sod but you’re probably knackered as well.

It’ll be a good weekend if you go with an open mind (not keys in bowl type open mind) and just relax and have fun with your (tired) wife and baby.

Think yourself lucky, I’ve got to go to Euro **** Disney this year!! My worst nightmare. Far too much smiling. Only for a day as we pass Paris though, so shouldn’t be too bad.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m still really not getting all the CP hate – is it really that much worse than Butlins or Parkdean, or are you lot incapable of enjoying yourselves because it’s not quite where you’d choose to go even though you’re not actually forced to do anything?

Hate is a bit strong, but I can think of many different family holidays I’d rather do, given its very high cost.

LoCo
    Free Member

Is this thread actually real?! 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got to go to Euro **** Disney this year!

Now that I would veto!

Although it wouldn’t come to it, cos my wife can’t stand the idea either 🙂

km79
    Free Member

Finally you’re wrong because, well because men are always wrong and women are always right. It will make your life a lot easier if you learn this.

Yes, just have your wife keep your testicles in her hand bag for you and let you have them when needed. Lot’s of henpecked husbands on this thread. It’s the OP’s birthday, he should spend it as he wishes. Who books something for someone else 40th without discussing it first? No you are not being ungrateful. Buy her a hoover for her birthday and tell her that’s what its going to be like from now on. See if she is being ungrateful.

johndoh
    Free Member

TBF I think he has a point here. His wife knows he doesn’t like CP yet she has booked a weekend there. There are plenty of other options she could have looked at. It sounds to me like she isn’t thinking about him and what he wants to do, rather herself and what she wants to do.

wwaswas

I think, after willard’s post I’ll leave this thread alone other than to say;

It may not be exactly what you wanted but it’s time with your family, cherish it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

CP sells beer, acceptable food

I looked at the menu. http://www.centerparcs.co.uk/images/pdfs/menus/2014/leisure_bowl_apr_2014.pdf

Piss poor choice and a derisory wine list, surely your 40th birthday deserves better? Especially as it’s probably served in a tattoo/blue and white sportswear environment with wipe clean seating and lift music at too high a volume.

Like a weatherspoons but without the beer choice.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m still really not getting all the CP hate

I suspect that no one who’s been to Centre Parcs actually hates it…. they just hated paying for it.

If you go to Center Parcs and don’t have a good time, who’s fault is that?

Must be CP’s fault for not providing decent accommodation or a nice location or adequate facilities, right?

I’ve been a few times and had a thoroughly fabulous time… because I wanted to.

scotroutes

Knuckledraggers
    Ad hom
    I
    B
    T
    L

binners

Oh shit! We’re on to the Centre Parcs Beer and wine list

Listen folks…. we really need to reign it in a bit. I think we might be about to hit a critical mass of pent up, passive aggressive, aloof, sniffy middle class angst.

Nobody knows what the end result of that is.

We came frighteningly close one time in the past when a Waitrose in Surrey briefly ran dangerously low on coffee, in the cafe, where people sat reading their complimentary newspapers, and briefly floated the idea of serving some instant. But luckily it was just about averted when a Polish girl on minimum wage was sent packing, and ordered not to return without freshly ground Columbian beans. Phew!

I’m just saying … we’re in unchartered waters here….

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Nobody knows what the end result of that is

A smashed squash racquet and at least two uncomfortable silences???!!!!!????

ads678

molgrips – Member
    I’ve got to go to Euro **** Disney this year!
    Now that I would veto!

Although it wouldn’t come to it, cos my wife can’t stand the idea either

I am gonna get some riding in whilst away (Alps and Pyrenees) and we pass it 2 or 3 times a year so i suppose it’s only fair we take the kids once. That’s it though, never again!

bombjack
    Free Member

Look at it from her perspective –
    She want family time, she knows you’d like a break, she also wants the family to be in a nice safe environment, she’d like a spa / massage etc, she also knows you’re outdoorsy and would probably like a bike ride. The fact its your birthday just makes it a good excuse to go away as a family. In her eyes its not about just you anymore…
    You’re now a family man and nothing is like it was 12 months ago.
    Tell her you enjoyed it, act like you enjoyed it, stop being a stroppy teenager. Drop massive hints leading up to your 48th / 49th / 50th that you want to go biking in whistler for a fortnight, and then tell her you’ve booked it. Don’t leave it to her to guess what you want.

aracer
    Free Member

Fair enough – I’ve alluded a few times that our holidays are more towards the budget end (I’ve no idea how all the Audi drivers on here would cope with the riff-raff at Butlins). Though that’s not the impression I’m actually getting from some who appear determined to hate it.

Scamper
    Free Member

To be fair Mr Smith, I think that menu is probably the bar food' down at the In Door Sports complex. CP does have a range of high street chains (no Greggs yet unfortunately) and decent Shop. I've even had a nicetake out’ curry at CP.

OP, can’t you escape for a few hours riding? Never been to the Sherwood CP, but Longleat has plenty of singletrack around it. You can’t even escape Strava inside CP though.

Just go with the flow – rock up in your S-Max with 60 litres of Prosseco and enough M&S Meal Deals for 3 nights 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

I’d be a bit pissed off if the wife had bought a trip she wanted (and knew I didn’t) and dressed it up as a treat for my birthday, especially if it was my 40th. I don’t know her, but it seems a bit underhand.
    Having said that, I’d go. I’d feign enjoying myself and grab as much time with the little one as possible.
    I would let it known not to book anything like this again, and that I had a rather large coupon. 😀

flatfish
    Free Member

I’m with the OP on this.
    My wife knows I’d rather stick forks in my eyes than go to somewhere remotely like Centre Parcs so I’d be in a huff like Rob too.
    Especially if she’d booked it for my 40th. I was taken out for a ride with the wife whilst the kids were at school and then to Pizza Express with the kids and they loved it. Pizza Express isn’t my preferred option but the kids enjoyed taking Daddy to a “posh” restaurant. Used vouchers for the meal too.
    I do admit that there should be some give and take in a relationship but that’s just taking the piss.

Stick the weekend on the classifieds here as there seems to be an abundance of Centre Parc lovers.

Scamper
    Free Member

Half term is approaching. All Centre Parc lovers are packing already 😀

cheers_drive

She want family time, she knows you’d like a break, she also wants the family to be in a nice safe environment, she’d like a spa / massage etc, she also knows you’re outdoorsy and would probably like a bike ride. The fact its your birthday just makes it a good excuse to go away as a family. In her eyes its not about just you anymore…

I’m sure you are correct.
    Despite others thinking differently I want to spend time with the family and have no expectations of spending the weekend doing what I want (cycling), in fact I’m happy not to cycle at all. I’m sure we’ll do Centre Parcs / Euro Camp etc lots when Little Miss is older, I’m looking forward to doing those family things. I just don’t see the point with a baby.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Most of ours over the last “several” years have been under canvas.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Am I being an ungrateful sod? Centreparcs content’ is closed to new replies.