Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 224 total)
  • Am I being an ungrateful sod? Centreparcs content
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

Going to Centre Parcs is what families do.

It’s not *all* that families do

Is it? I must have missed that memo. Perhaps what you meant in your correction is that it’s not what all families do. We certainly don’t.

Look at it from her perspective –
    She want family time, she knows you’d like a break, she also wants the family to be in a nice safe environment, she’d like a spa / massage etc, she also knows you’re outdoorsy and would probably like a bike ride. The fact its your birthday just makes it a good excuse to go away as a family. In her eyes its not about just you anymore…

So if she wants a break – fine. Just don’t dress it up as a 40th present that the OP has made clear he wouldn’t appreciate before now. That’s what I would take issue with. People also seem to be missing the point that a family is actually a collective, not a unit headed up by a single person who makes all the decisions. Yes, it’s a compromise but not at the expense of your own opinion.

binners

perchypanther
    Free Member

That looks like Bernard is giving Sid a bit of “Centre Parcs” action. 😯

Sid’s lovin it. 😀

scotroutes

Are they taking fudge?

scandal42
    Free Member

Not necessarily aimed at the OP here…..

I have had a few holidays to CP, all seriously cheap and way cheaper than any cottage that would provide that standard of accommodation (non term time)

Also, you do realise it isn’t a prison? you can leave and go anywhere you bloody well want.

Why would anyone with a baby give a damn about the beer or wine menu? Surely you won’t be siting in the bar all day? take some decent stuff from home and just enjoy them at in the lodge whilst watching the wildlife with the little’un

As for those saying it’s pointless for a baby, really? If a woods with nice accommodation in a safe environment and no cars is pointless for a baby then please enlighten me.

If people can’t go to CP as a young family and have a wonderful time then I would suggest looking inwards in search of the answer.

bombjack
    Free Member

I just don’t see the point with a baby.

Yup, and that’s the beef.
    My wife was obsessed with taking our 2 camping when they were smaller, I couldn’t (and still cant) possibly see what they gained from it when they were between 1-3yrs old apart from getting cold / wet / and a bad nights sleep for a week.
    Its a long game, and I’m sure the tables will be reversed when all my wife wants to do is lounge on a beach, but the kids want to play games / swim / dive off things when they’re older.
    For now you’ve gotta suck it up, make the most of being with your wife away from home (even if it is at centre parcs) and appreciate each other. Don’t even think of it as a birthday present.

binners

Why would anyone with a baby give a damn about the beer or wine menu?

Are you new here?

There are standards that must be maintained! We’re not animals!!!

andyrm
    Free Member

If people can’t go to CP as a young family and have a wonderful time then I would suggest looking inwards in search of the answer.

Perfectly summed up. Way, way too much grumpiness in these quarters of late, and that is something that can be resolved by a change of mindset. Focus on that.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Why would anyone with a baby give a damn about the beer or wine menu?

Haven’t you heard? It’s derisory.

ransos
    Free Member

I couldn’t (and still cant) possibly see what they gained from it when they were between 1-3yrs old apart from getting cold / wet / and a bad nights sleep for a week.

My two first went camping at that age – we all had a brilliant time.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve just had a quick look at the prices 😯

The only thing preventing me from taking the family is that I haven’t got a spare £800!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Go this time, make the most of it and if you still don’t like it then its time to sit down and have a chat about future holidays. Plenty of holiday options with kids that don’t involve CP. We’ve gone camping with our kids since they were wee and they love it, maybe if you’re not well enough prepared it could be a bit shit.

ransos
    Free Member

The only thing preventing me taking the family is that I haven’t got a spare £800!

It will cost me less than that to go camping in the south of France for two weeks. Not a difficult choice AFAIC.

binners

mrhoppy

It’s not that expensive, march weekend cost for 2 bed accommodation is running at £450 ish. That’s £150/night for a whole family, it’d cost you that to stop in a shitty premier inn without the access to the pool, play areas, etc.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m guessing premier inns are beneath you and you’ve never stayed in one – they’re way, way cheaper than that.

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/search.html?searchModel.searchTerm=Ollerton,%20Nottinghamshire&LOCATION=53.20381,-1.01902&ARRdd=04&ARRmm=03&ARRyyyy=2016&NIGHTS=3&ROOMS=1&ADULT1=2&CHILD1=2&COT1=0&INTTYP1=FAM&SID=4

£165 for a March 3 night weekend, £55 a night

binners

DT78
    Free Member

Go midweek outside of holiday time and it can be very cheap, we paid something like £170 for 4 nights sharing a chalet with 2 other couples and their 6month olds.

I actually really enjoyed it, dads packaged the mums off for a morning to the spa as a reward for the hard work they have been putting in looking after the little ones.

Generally just wandered round and chilled out.

Yes I would have liked to have been belting around on the mtb, but it wasn’t that type of break and the family really enjoyed it.

Need to be positive it will be fun!

wrecker
    Free Member

£450 for a weekend? 😯
    Shit the bed, I never realised it was that expensive.

binners

You’re clearly not middle class enough, you urchin!

How much is it for a weekend at Centre Parcs? is one of the first questions on the exam, just after the trick question: How much is a coffee in Watrose? but before: list the address of your nearest Audi dealership? 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Priceless?

mrhoppy

aracer – Member
    mrhoppy » That’s £150/night for a whole family, it’d cost you that to stop in a shitty premier inn
    I’m guessing premier inns are beneath you and you’ve never stayed in one – they’re way, way cheaper than that.

I frequently stop in them, through work and went to London with the family recently. Stopped in Slough, was about £80 for the three of us in one room. Add on the cost of getting into a swimming pool for all of us and its not that dissimilar and they’re ideal rep locations not going on holiday locations, usually by a major road or in the town centre.

The ones I’ve stopped in with work have been brand new but managed to give the wrong room details so walked in on someone sleeping, not changed soiled sheets, not cleanded the bathroom and not changed the towels so I’ve been faced with a skiddy as I started to dry myself.

Cougar

Plenty of people here saying that not going is unreasonable / ungrateful (and he arguably is, but then I like CP). But in what parallel universe is the OP’s OH still going reasonable?

The missus has booked a holiday she, presumably, knows the OP won’t like. Which is a shitty thing to do straight out of the gate. She then dresses it up as his 40th birthday present, which is doubly shit.

The OP expresses his disinterest / disappointment, surely the only sensible, rational thing to do next is to cancel it and use the money to book something different that they’ll both enjoy? But no, she’s going on her own, demonstrating admirably who the present was actually for all along. If my missus booked herself an expensive present for my 40th birthday, said “this is the way holidays going to be from now on so get used to it” and then sodded off on her own, I’d have changed the locks by the time she got back. Cheeky mare.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mmm I’ve not read any of the responses but yes you are ungrateful! However stating that this is how it is from now on is rubbish.
    My kids are just 11 and nearly 14. In that time we have done everything from centre parcs to canal boats to beach holidays to surfing holidays to biking to festivals to Castle hunting in Scotland. I’ve loved everyone of them because it’s precious time I get to spend with my little tribe….

binners

The ones I’ve stopped in with work have been brand new but managed to give the wrong room details so walked in on someone sleeping, not changed soiled sheets, not cleanded the bathroom and not changed the towels so I’ve been faced with a skiddy as I started to dry myself.

ransos
    Free Member

The missus has booked a holiday she, presumably, knows the OP won’t like. Which is a shitty thing to do straight out of the gate. She then dresses it up as his 40th birthday present, which is doubly shit.

More likely to be miscommunication or oversight, no?

Regardless, I haven’t forgotten what it was like to have a four month old baby, and of course it was harder for my wife. Some tolerance and understanding is required, I think.

mrhoppy

What can I say, people in Wigan are animals.

cheers_drive

There’s an idea, Linton isn’t that far away, perhaps I suggest I go the the Travel Tavern instead of CP. Sally Fields could entertain me whilst Mrs CD looks after the baby. It’s all about ME after all.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ungrateful – possibly
    Honest – yes

Why pretend, esp if your other half knows its something you wont like? She has made the error…

binners

I’d certainly hope that Centret Parcs wouldn’t be taking bookings from Wiganers. Or people from Blackburn or Burnley come to that. How frightful!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqzgobJDHJg[/video]

fasthaggis

Well,now that this thread has gone full Mumsnet,it’s well and truly knackered the surprise party she had planned all along.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Well,now that this thread has gone full Mumsnet,it’s well and truly knackered the “surprise” party she had planned all along.

FTFY.

fasthaggis

dragon
    Free Member

OP I’m afraid I’m in the ‘you are being a selfish tw*t camp’, but then you are a new dad at 40 so it’s a well know phenomenon.

Centre Parcs is fine, I can’t understand how you will be so miserable there as at most basic it is simply a cabin in the woods with access to a swimming pool.

konabunny
    Free Member

Firstly I’d like to say this has nothing to do with a certain vintage Mums Net thread, sorry to disappoint you.

[quote]/kicks dog.[/quote]
    Why you kick my dog?
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CE2PsfeQm-0&client=mv-vf-uk&safesearch=always[/video]

mudshark
    Free Member

My wife wants to go to CP but would know not to do this as knows I hate the idea and would make a fuss. Indeed last year the extended family all went but us lot didn’t. Having said that we might end up going to a French one this year albeit with me disappearing on the bike some days as at least the family will have stuff to do without me around. And foreign things are always more fun – and cheaper.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve not read pages 2 – 4 but Cougar has it about right:

The OP expresses his disinterest / disappointment, surely the only sensible, rational thing to do next is to cancel it and use the money to book something different that they’ll both enjoy?

Of course – as fasthaggis suggests – this could be an elaborate surprise birthday party that is now on a fast track to being ruined 😆

crankboy
    Free Member

£450 for two nights has seen me in three different quality pub restaurants with high quality food and wine . All recommendations off here . or a cottage at portmerion with meals . I’m sure taking a baby would not have increased the cost much or reduced the fun at all.
    I hate the idea of centerparcs and can understand your frustration at being landed with it as a significant birthday present but it’s booked make the most of it it is a weekend away with those you love and who love you , you may be pleasantly surprised if you go along and will certainly be miserable if you don’t and i predict your misery will be deeper and last longer than a duff weekend in CP.

May be she has a surprise treat planned for you!!

zanelad
    Free Member

Could you imagine the outpouring of grief if the shoe had been on the other foot. Husband books holiday that the wife didn’t want.

Mumsnet would be rounding up a lynching party as we speak (type) and the internet would be in meltdown about the oafish husband who didn’t listen to his wife.

Because it’s the other way around the OP is being told to suck it up.

**** that. Put your foot down now or be walked over for the rest of your time together.

Are you man or mouse?

Coming dear…………

zippykona

The surprise is that her parents are coming as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Am I being an ungrateful sod? Centreparcs content’ is closed to new replies.