• This topic has 61 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • All day XC Hardtail , steel or alloy….
  • iainc

Will shortly be replacing my 2013 Soul, one of the last 26’ers. Looking for something similarly comfy for longer days, adventuring, muddy manky night rides, some light bike packing. I have a FS for trail centres and big days.

Wanting something a bit longer than the old Soul, as since getting a modern geo Anthem the Soul feels a bit short and twitchy, even after tweaking bars and stem.

Currently looking at a Bird Zero TR, though hanging off for a few weeks to see what comes of the new edition Soul.

Alloy with boost though – how stiff and uncomfy will it feel compared to steel ?

Others that I may have overlooked ? Needs to be 27.5 and not convinced about Plus in the mud and on tight slow forest stuff, having demo’d a Tarn 20 the other week.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Will shortly be replacing my 2103

Jesus, the bike companies are bringing next years stuff out earlier and earlier…

iainc

cheers nobeer, edited 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

Alloy with boost though – how stiff and uncomfy will it feel compared to steel?

With modern forks, bigger wheels and bigger volume tyres, there will be no difference.

Although TBH I’d go for a 29er if a hardtail, especially one where you want to chew up the miles.

chakaping
    Free Member

Steel.

TBH I’d go for a 29er if a hardtail,

+1

iainc

thanks for info so far. It’s definite 27.5 for me, my short legs prefer them, and for local night rides on tight stuff I like the feel.

vmgscot

Shame it needs boost.
    I really like my On One Ti456 for the stuff we ride around here whether that be Drumlanrig or up over the Lowthers.

iainc

vince – doesn’t ‘need’ to be boost, but most new options seem that way…

I’m more trying to assess whether the added stiffness of Boost, plus alloy frame, will feel a lot harsher on a new 27.5 compared to my steel Soul 26er. My Anthem is Boost, with carbon rims and is stiffer than a stiff thing, but the suspension keeps it very comfy.

woody2000

I bought a Pine Mountain as a do it all kind of bike, been great so far. Nobby Nics seem to be coping with the slop so far. Steel, boost (sort of!), 27.5, mounts for everything….

kayla1
    Free Member

What about the rumoured new Soul?

iainc

^^^^^^

hanging off for a few weeks to see what comes of the new edition Soul.

🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

vmgscot is that one of the 650b 456? I’ve been wondering what I’ll eventually replace my 1st generation ti 456 with. It’s hard to see past the price of the new ones.

kayak23

Production privee Shan GT will take 29 wheels or 650+.
    Beautiful frames with a lovely ride quality.

kayla1
    Free Member

Gah. I must read stuff first… 😆

iainc

^^^^ I can believe that, but I am firmly in the 27.5, non-plus camp 🙂

EDIT – Yep .. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

these are lovely!

kayak23

^^^^ I can believe that, but I am firmly in the 27.5, non-plus camp

Normal Shan then. 😀

iainc

RD – I did have a look at those. I’d prefer an XT groupset to Sram though… and the tyres are a bit plus !

matt_outandabout

I have gone from Sanderson, the most sproingy steel bike I know, to Marin Nail Trail alloy in 27.5.

As ever, the tyres, wheels, seatpost, saddle etc make more difference than material.

I do miss the Sanderson, but the ride of the Marin is more balanced, faster and not yet had any uncomfy days.

iainc

cheers matt, good to know.

pickle
    Free Member

New Bfe or Switchback?

rOcKeTdOg

iainc – Member
    RD – I did have a look at those. I’d prefer an XT groupset to Sram though… and the tyres are a bit plus !

not if you usually ride a fat bike, it’ll fit 29″ anyway. they are way looooooong though

vmgscot

stevenmenmuir – unfortunately not a Ti45650b but one of the VanNic built Ti456.

I also had a Gen1 but it broke at the brake mount (like a few did). I also don’t see me replacing this Ti456 until I can’t get 26r bits any longer – it’s a really nice ride for my local stuff.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m the same, it’ll have to be pulled from my cold dead hands, as long as I have parts for it.

dragon
    Free Member

I think you are totally over thinking the stiffness thing, I’d be surprised in a blind test if you could tell the difference between an alloy and steel frame, once you’ve stuck a 2.3″ tyre on it and some 120 mm shocks. Biggest issue on comfort will be the seatpost diameter.

iainc

dragon – that is very much what I am hoping for ! The Bird is likely a good bit cheaper than the Soul will be, for same spec

sirromj

nickfrog
    Free Member

iainc – Member
    RD – I did have a look at those. I’d prefer an XT groupset to Sram though…

Yep me too. But not anymore. Current XT is weak IME compared to SRAM. The cassette alone is medieval.

jameso

I think you are totally over thinking the stiffness thing, I’d be surprised in a blind test if you could tell the difference between an alloy and steel frame, once you’ve stuck a 2.3″ tyre on it and some 120 mm shocks. Biggest issue on comfort will be the seatpost diameter.

That’s true enough for vertical flex and seated comfort. Position, seat post size / extension and tyres seem to make most difference there. But out of the saddle with the bike leaned over,impacts that come off-center, any hauling on the bars vs the pedals etc, that’s where you feel a frame twist and flex, or not. Some of that flex is a good thing and I’d say it’s most of what people call the steel ride feel thing.
    There’s alu frames out there that feel pretty close to / the same as some of the less whippy steel bikes ime. Just look for alu frames that don’t use big tube sections or ott shaped thick-wall tubes.

iainc

There’s alu frames out there that feel pretty close to / the same as some of the less whippy steel bikes ime. Just look for alu frames that don’t use big tube sections or ott shaped thick-wall tubes.

Jameso – any suggestions ? (even Pinnacle ones 🙂 ) The ideal bike would be 27.5, modernish geo, but not huge long like the Whyte, light and comfy, as much fun on the ups as the downs, 120 ish fork, dropper, xt group, under £2.5k bought as a full bike.

philjunior
    Free Member

Alloy vs steel won’t make a difference, and boost isn’t actually stiffer*.

(*well it kind of depends really on specific frame design of course, – but a wider hub doesn’t make the frame stiffer, and won’t make the wheel stiffer vertically – although the wheel will in any case be a stiff thing vertically)

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I absolutely love riding my MK2 Stanton Slackline and I think it may fit your requirements too.

ctk
    Free Member

Alloy for me one of these:

Kinesis Phase 5 £250

EDIT: I have the MK1 and love it

iainc

That Stanton looks pretty ideal….

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I have a Stanton Slackline too and it looks lovely in the flesh.

nickfrog
    Free Member

The ideal bike would be 27.5, modernish geo, but not huge long like the Whyte, light and comfy, as much fun on the ups as the downs, 120 ish fork, dropper, xt group, under £2.5k bought as a full bike.

This year I built a new Commencal META HT for £1,500 with a full XT 11-speed group, Easton cockpit / carbon bars, Yaris, decent tubeless wheels, dropper etc…for under £1,500.You shouldn’t need to spend what is the price of a carbon YT on a HT unless it’s Ti.

matt_outandabout

The ideal bike would be 27.5, modernish geo, but not huge long like the Whyte, light and comfy, as much fun on the ups as the downs, 120 ish fork, dropper, xt group, under £2.5k bought as a full bike.

Under £1k gets you that Marin I have from Rutland with Yari, wideish light wheels and SLX, leaving £1500 for an xt mech+shifter, carbon bar and better tyres. Should be doable. 😉

benp1

One of the nice things about steel is the way that this skinnier tubes look, I think they look ace

Both my MTBs are steel, but both 29er

NormalMan

benp1 – Member
    One of the nice things about steel is the way that this skinnier tubes look, I think they look ace

Both my MTBs are steel, but both 29er

Same here. Plus a steel fat bike too.

iainc

Lots to think about, cheers. Heart says steel and wait for the new Soul of stretch to a Slackline…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘All day XC Hardtail , steel or alloy….’ is closed to new replies.