Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Ahoy home wheel-builders!
  • Brentstyle
    Free Member

Hi, please can any home wheel-builders recommend where to source nipples (the stiff ones), spoke tool, rims, etc. for building your own wheels? It's time I left bike maintenance adolescence and started going my own way (especially as I live in S. Devon where the bike shops suck). Got the stand and the book so now need the materials.

Thanks for your recommendations.

phatstanley
    Free Member

sjs cycles is a pretty comprehensive shop….

sanctimoniousasshat
    Free Member

spokes should be supplied with nipples. Don't know what you mean by 'stiff', but I would recommend brass over alloy if you are just getting started. Spokes will come with brass nipples as standard. Personally I prefer Park spoke keys, though everyone has their likes. Rims are pretty readily available through most of the online stores. I buy spokes by the box generally, though again, I think CRC etc do them individually.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickc

second sjs.

convert

crc for 26" spokes – spa cycles for cheap 700c/ 29ers, parkers/ribble for more expensive. Will check sjs again myself. I'm a red spokey man myself. Also, I always poo pooed spoke tension meters until this weekend when after getting hold of one I realised how much more accurate, even and ultimately faster I could build a top quality wheel with one.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Justridingalong.

AntM
    Free Member

Park tools tensioner meter
    DT Swiss spoke key
    Park tools wheel jig TS-8
    beer
    good music

Edric64
    Free Member

I'm a red spokey man my.Spokey colour is dependant on nipple size .The Jap one is yellow

Brentstyle
    Free Member

Thanks to all. SJS looks good in terms of nipples and spoke choice.

However, is it not possible to buy more than 6 spokes in a pack. I perhaps wrongly imagined you could buy a box of spokes that would cover one or more wheels? Possible?

convert

You might well need to buy 4 different spoke lengths to build up a pair of wheels so being able to buy in smaller numbers in not a bad thing. A pair of 32H wheels will need 16 spokes of (potentially) 4 different sizes so 3 packs of 6 for each side would give you 2 spares of each size. When wiggle used to sell spokes they only used to sell them in packs of 72 of the same size. Strangely they didn't sell many and ended up phasing them out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ahoy home wheel-builders!’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts