Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Advice on new full suspension frame please
  • hora
    Free Member

Ok. The criteria:
    – I don’t care about brand names or the latest innovation in Marketing.
    – It must have a low bottom bracket (circa close to 13″ as possible).
    – It must be available secondhand
    – Must be short travel- circa 4″
    – Ideally 17/18″ seat tube with a c.23.5 top tube.
    – Relaxed seat tube and head angles
    – Able to take circa 140-150mm travel forks.
    – Lightish so erring towards air rather than coil.

The shortlist? I like the Stumpjumper FSR but the sizes mean the medium is tight (I’m 6ft 2) and the large is ‘just too gate-like.
    The SC Nomad’s BB is too high? (14″) and its too expensive.
    The SC Heckler is as rare as soddin Hens teeth?
    The Blur LT (mk1) is too ‘XC’ in geometry? (thats an open question)
    Intense- which one?

What else? I was browsing through all my old MBUK’s etc last night and the Trek Fuels stood out but I know nothing about them- anyone?

davefarmer
    Free Member

A Nomad is not 4″ travel, hence the higher BB.

Oraneg ST-4, 4″ travel, grippy suspension design, uses a 130mm fork, 23.5″ TT on the 18″ size. Slack head ange compared with other 4″ bikes.

The only box it doesn’t tivk is that you wo’t find one second hand, they have only just started making them proper.

hora
    Free Member

Good point on the Nomad. The Trek Remedy looks good- although it doesnt seem to be that old or available as a frame only 😥

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I would not classify the SC BLT1 as “too XC”.
    The pre-08 Treks were way outdated by the competition – probably why they are good value. (dons crash helmet)
    Why are you looking at 4″ travel but 140-150mm travel forks? A balanced bike should have about the same travel front and back
    Not sure you would want a low BB on a bike with 140-150mm fork?
    The difference in weight between coil and air is not that great in the overall scheme of things, but coil bikes tend to be built heavier overall
    Have a look at Giant Reign and Trance

I reckon your best bet is go to a few bike shops, try the bikes then look around for a good deal on whatever comes out best.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Hora, did you not previously own just about the only frame to meet those requirments?
    I’m sure I remember you saying the Blur 4X was ‘perfect’

hora
    Free Member

2unfit2ride yes. Someones a dickhead. If I could find one again in either medium or large.

clydebuilt
    Free Member

you can have my little used 05 ano black heckler, choice of shocks, for £400 posted…

hora
    Free Member

clydebuilt pics etc to markhoracekuk (AT) yahoo.com

Rickos
    Free Member

‘dale Prophet ticks those boxes except it’s 5.5 inch travel, but in the FR setting it’s got a 13 inch BB.

Rickos
    Free Member

How about the Commencal 4 series too?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Mark, this was posted on the classifieds before it all went pear shaped, it may well be worth seeing if he still posts on here & if its still for sale.

Author: 0pt1cal
    Date: 29/10/08 09:13
    I have a large Santa Cruz Blur 4X Frame in Anodized Slate for Sale. It in in very good condition with only some chain slap on the rear, one tiny chink from the rock hit and the usual cable rub. A new propack was fitted in July 2008 and the Fox RP23 shock was fully serviced by Mojo in September.

For photos and any other questions please e-mail my profile.

I’m looking for £620 posted.

It was only 2 months ago, so worth a try.

jfeb
    Free Member

Yep, a Blur 4X would be perfect for you and £600 ish seems like a good price.

hora
    Free Member

Anyone know if 0pt1cal posts on here yet or with a different name?

hora
    Free Member

Found him

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Why are you looking at 4″ travel but 140-150mm travel forks? A balanced bike should have about the same travel front and back

what a load of cockrot.

The trance, as many, many people on here will attest to is 4.2″ on the back, but chucking a set of pikes on it turns it from a good bike into a stunning bike.

Hardcore hardtails also come nowhere near your theory.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Has he still got it?

Oh, & I didn’t hear any gratitude for the effort put in 😉

hora
    Free Member

2unfit I was just clicking back into the thread to edit my post to say thanks. Thank you. Much appreciated.. (Pops a pint of ale into the beerbank ready for 2unfit one day..)

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

No probs, I hope you get it, let us know.

cp

i’m interested in this thread, just because i very much agree with hora that that set up would be a nice bike. which hardtail (any!) has more travel at the back? to me this set up would make a nice agressive, weight biased slightly forward technical singletrack beast.

qwerty
    Free Member

hemlock?

hora
    Free Member

2unfit2ride – will do.
    cp – agree. For me, it rewards and encourages a rider who isnt the best technically. Even with my talentless skills Ive found even I can roll down through slow, technical twists/drops without fear. On a big full susser I’d feel abit ‘lost’/not connected to feel how to react. I’ve ridden a fair few things on the Blur 4x that I wouldnt consider on other bikes.

hora
    Free Member

FFS. Found a different one. Its an 06 and he wants £750 for it. If anyone can find Opt1cal let me know!

druidh
    Free Member

How is Brant coming along with his “damage limitation rear-end” design?

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

For those of you who haven’t experienced these thypes of thread from Hora before could I please just say that proferring any advice is almost bound to be wasted time and effort 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Advice on new full suspension frame please’ is closed to new replies.