Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Advice on cheap air compressor please.
  • deepo
    Free Member

As above, looking for a cheap air compressor with a big “whoosh” of air to pop tyres on to the rim. Anyone got any suggestions?
    I though this looked ok and is about as much as I wanted to spend……
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000W08QZY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

More effective for cheaper would be great.

deepo
    Free Member

……and have just realised the above compressor doesn’t have a plug. Back to the drawing board but about that budget…ish

mattmbk
    Free Member

To be honest that looks like it’ll have less whoosh than a track pump. I reckon you’ll need to spend £100 plus to get a decent compressor. Mine was about £120 but does the job, first time everytime so I figure it’s money we’ll spent. Have a look at Sealey tools.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

I got one from aldi a couple of years ago, think it was about sixty quid with some tools
    Works well enough but its a monster – weighs a ton

stuarty
    Free Member

Eargh..

Spray some lighter fuel/carb cleaner in tyre and light. Instant pop

Better to use a little and a couple of goes rather than bucking in a sheb load and having to wait for orbit

kinda666
    Free Member

Have a look at your local machine mart, paid about £80 for mine, came with a paint sprayer thingy and airline to do my tyres

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Aldi & LIDL do regular bargains. But only once / twice a year.

Otherwise MachineMart. Or Screwfix. Or for cheapskate search for Ghetto on here.

The key thing isnt pressure – it’s capacity.

So this is good:
    http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ranger-24

This is better:
    http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ranger-54-oil-free-air-compressor

As I said – LIDL / ALDI are the bargains. Not because of power – it’s the air capacity. You want something that can blast tons of stored air instantly. If the motor has to cut in you are lost. A car tyre pump that gets up to 110 psi isnt as good as a 50L 40psi (I doubt if that exists but you get the drift).

Onzadog
    Free Member

My advice would be to look for a 1.5 HP 25 litre one. I got a jcb one cheap from focus a few years ago. However, the same unit can be had from lots of different brands.

stanley

As above- that one will be useless for what you want.

I got an Aldi one a few weeks ago. Brilliant!! Better spec and longer warranty than more expensive models from Machine Mart, Sealy, etc.
    Plenty of capacity and pressure.
    £100 and another £20 for the accessory kit. This really adds value as I can use the compressor for tyres, cleaning dirt off stuff, spraying the fence panels, ACF50ing the motorbike, etc.

I don’t think you will find a cheaper one that will be up for the job.

glenh
    Free Member

Why would you want to buy a compressor for fitting tyres?

Just spend the money on some proper tubeless rims (ust) and you can use any old pump.

AD
    Davesport

Costco do an excellent small compressor with a vertical tank (small footprint) + a tool kit for £160.

smudge
    Free Member

Coke bottle works a treat, but has to be fiizzy bottle to cope,with the pressure you need to use.

BUT, saw a thread yesterday using a Wilko 8L garden water sprayer for about £10 that will do for me from now on.. Cheap as chips, for the amount of time you will be using it.

tron
    Free Member

Aldi had them a couple of weeks ago. If you live near a city centre store or one in a pretty middle class area, they’re likely to.have some left.

I got one a while ago far better than the same price from machine mart. The aldi one was proper oil lubricated, my old machine mart one was oil free and couldn’t hack a decent amount of use.

Edit: what’s the Wilko sprayer hack?

smudge
    Free Member
    Gribs

I just use a car tyre and one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40309 to get my tubeless tyres to seat.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Gribs – honest Q – I have one of those hoses in a mini pump (and a spare tyre or 2!).

I cant see how you can attach both sides to a scraeder valves. Or have I missed something.

wenanwhere
    Free Member
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Advice on cheap air compressor please.’ is closed to new replies.