Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Tubeless help please – flows and crossmarks :(
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

New kevlar crossmark, stans flow rim with yellow tape. Can not get it to inflate 🙁

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bump

scaredypants

tell us what you’ve done so far

rob-jackson
    Free Member

silicone spray on bead, stans fluid in, banged round the tyre with flat of my hand. Tries track pump with out valve core in, tried using a compressor made out of a plant sprayer (8L pumped up to 40psi)

scaredypants

Does it seem to seat & hold pressure at all, or never gain any meaningful content ?

Is it a UST tyre ? (if not, try a circuit or two of electrical tape IME)

Have you tried seating it using a tube first ?

(too early with the jizz IMO, by the way – though that won’t stop it seating)

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Just stuck a LUST crossmark on Stans Flow no problems after an inflate with tube to lock in one side of the bead, careful tube removal leaving one side bedded, then inflated on first attempt with floor pump.

Different story with the non LUST minion downhill front SP though. Had used the same technique with a tube inflate to bed one side, then removal, soapy water added around rim (not needed for LUST), then endless maniacal pumping to no avail. Was about to give up when remembered reading previously about using straight up dishwashing liquid….applied that all the way round between the one non-bedded tyre bead and rim, and popped up first time! The more viscous nature of it provided a better temp seal to let the tyre pop…..good luck!

edit….i’d get it bedded first before worrying about the sealant…..once you’ve got it inflated once and both sides of bead sorted, THEN deflate carefully, remove the core and add sealant via syringe………probably not ideal to use masses of dish washing liquid at same time as sealant.

Potter
    Free Member

got crossmarks on my anthem on crests with yellow tape,stayed up without a problem once they were on

Northwind

Try fitting it with a tube, then unbeading one side only and removing the tube, then fitting the valve and reinflating- means the job’s half done already.

Also usual comments about making sure the valve is inside the tyre and doesn’t have too much of a gap near it… With folding tyres you can sometimes pull them a little onto the bead, or at least close to it. The less it has to move, the easier it is.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Sometimes helps to hang the wheel up, so there’s no weight distorting the tyre. I’ve never tried the tube first then remove one side trick, but I find it’s worth leaving them inflated hard with a tube in for a few hours.

tpbiker
    Free Member

take out the valve cores, best tip I’ve heard when trying to go tubeless to get the inital inflation of the wheel.

belugabob
    Free Member

Just won a battle with an bonty fr3 on bonty rhythm comp rim.
    Put a tube in first, but the beads wouldn’t even seat like that.
    Reverted to tubeless and wrapped a ratchet strap (the type you use to secure loads on trucks) around the circumference of the tyre, to squash it down all round – bosh, and up it went!
    (getting the strap off was a tad tricky, but I got there in the end.

Tyre was fully inflated, slimed, spun round vigorously and put back on the bike ready for Sunday. 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

To be honest, I don’t think I would like to take the gamble on doing a tubeless conversion without a beefy compressor. With some tyres Ive had to get the compressor up to 100 psi then let it rip just to get it to fill out and make a seal. Lots of soapy helps though.

cheers_drive

I have a 2.25 Kevlar Crossmark on a Flow. I pumped up with tube for 24hrs before taking one side off and removing the tube. Soap suds on the removed beads, it took 2 CO2 cartridges but was easier than the previous XT UST wheel.

glenh
    Free Member

This thread makes me laugh.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Put a Crossmark on a Crest this week with no problem. I did firstly put a tube in and left it overnight to shape and stretch the tyre. Pumped it up with a track pump.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Going to ride it with a tube in tomorrow and see what happens when i give it another go tomorrow evening

schmiken

Google ghetto 9p compressor. I pump my 2L Coke bottle up to 80psi and haven’t had a problem as long as the valve cores have been removed.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Schmiken – my compressor is the same idea but using an 8l plant sprayer – just higher volume

SBrock
    Free Member

I had some NEW high roller 2s last weekend, went up fine with track pump on Flows

I didn’t even need soapy water, but I did take the valves cores out and they went up straightaway well chuffed…. I’m just using stans valves and yellow tape and sealant

SBrock
    Free Member

I had some NEW high roller 2s last weekend, went up fine with track pump on Flows

I didn’t even need soapy water, but I did take the valves cores out and they went up straightaway well chuffed…. I’m just using stans valves and yellow tape and sealant

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Just to follow this up. I rode the crossmark and (wire bead) high roller yesterday for 30 miles+. Today i unseated one bead very carefully and fitte dthe tubeless valve. I covered the bead in neat washing up liquin and put back on the rime. Using my home compressor – 8L plant sprayer from Wilkos with the spay nozzle removed – the rubber hose fits a presta perfectly! – i pumped the handle until it was quite hard to push down on, unkinked the hose and VOILA – bead popped and tyre on!

Granted it cost more than 9p like the ghetto inflater but i can water the hanging baskets to should the need arise 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Good call on the Wilko’s compressor.

FWIW got a 2.25″ Kevlar Crossmark (awesome tyre) on the back of my hardtail, on a Specialized Roval Traverse EL wheel (the rim is all but identical to a Stans Crest, even uses the same yellow tape and valve). Was an absolute arse to get to inflate, but in the end it went up with just a lot of neat washing up liquid, and a whole lot of sweat with me jumping up and down on the trackpump… Didn’t need to much sealant in the end either which was a bonus, unlike the Conti Rubber Queen I’ve got up front which is the world’s most porous tyre!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

the plant sprayer idea is to stop me jumping up and down like a ****! lol

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Tried the coke bottle jobbie and its not too bad but having 8 litres of capacity can only be better! Will buy one asap I think.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Good result cruzheckler…….tempted to try the Wilko 8L number too! Not a bad option at only £10.00

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Wilko sprayer bought, thanks for the tip – can’t wait to try it out 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Dirtbiker100, post your experience up please when done… Before I go out and buy one myself.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

mboy – it works – its easy – its cheap – whats more to know?

smudge
    Free Member

Another Wilko bought 8) The coke bottle wrapped in gaffa tape was good but a nervy experience tbh 😆

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless help please – flows and crossmarks :(’ is closed to new replies.