Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • A strange hope freehub conundrum…
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Your views, advice, opinions or general heckling please…

I changed my the XT cassette on my Pro II yesterday. The old one appeared to be secured good and tight when I took it off.

Unfortunately, on tightening the new one up – the lockring satisfyingly goes ka-thunk-ka-thunk-ka-thunk – it wobbles and rattles about on its own accord as if the lock ring weren’t even vaguely tight.

The only remedy I’ve found for this is to put one of the spare old sprockets on first, which seems to increase the effective width of the cassette and allow it, somehow, to be secured tightly.

What am I doing wrong? 😕

jackthedog
    Free Member

Your new cassette definitely came with the correct amount of sprockets and spacers? Sounds like you’re missing a piece.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Definitely got all the bits in there. I’ve checked! Gears shift fine (with the extra ‘spacer’ at the back of the cassette), so I can’t have missed anything out.

The only possibility that springs to mind is that maybe the smallest sprocket has gauged a notch in the ally freehub body, which, upon tightening the lockring, it slots into. This could prevent the rest of the cassette from being squashed.

Dunno?

jester
    Free Member

I had a similar problem fitting a sram cassette to mine but I had left out one of the spacers, D’oh!

mttm
    Free Member

I had something similar on a very early ProII with an XT cassette. In my case, it was caused by the 11t sprocket “bottoming out” on the freehub too early i.e. before the cassette itself was tight. The keyways (?) for the splines in the 11t sprocket are “closed” ie not machined all the way through (unlike the 12t), which is what makes this possible.

Assuming it’s the same fault, you can either buy a 12/34 cassette or slip a small spacer in there. Spacers are cheap… 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘A strange hope freehub conundrum…’ is closed to new replies.