Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • A nice look at Hope crank manufacture
  • stevied
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/117693346[/video]

Nice to see how they are made and tested.

cokie

They are really pushing their cranks! I can’t remember any of Hopes products ever getting this much advertising?!

Rockplough
    Free Member

0:38s. Threaded cockring? Rather you than me.

stevied
    Free Member

^ yeah, saw that too 😆

crankrider
    Free Member

No wonder they are pushing the product so hard after investing what must be £350K on a brand new Matsuura to make them.

In the same way that the pedals baffled me in terms of manuafacturing time, he said the cranks take 25 mins each arm (not inc axles, axle clamp, bolts etc) Thats almost an hour to machine the arms alone.

Most shops would want over £80.00ph out of that machine for time alone (At that rate it would take over 540 days just to break even on the machines turnover – so nowhere near profit)

Hope must be getting much less than that to be able to retail the arms and axle at £240, with what i am assuming £120ish trade price on them. The axle looked like it took considerable time to make too with the cutting of the spline and thats not even beginning to think about tools for the forging, the material itself, design, testing etc etc….

Great looking chainset though and a good advertising product for Hope, i say that as it offers absolutely no benefit what so ever over the established products out there other than aesthetics.

I am sure owners of 7K baby blue bikes with pink stickers and enve rims will get the horn for them though.

Houns

30 secs in I had to stop. Couldn’t get over the French/Barnoldswick mongrel accent 😆

I_Ache
    Free Member

Well all the advertising is working on on me. I was thinking about some XTR cranks for my Solaris but now really want some Hopes. I just cant get my head around that they don’t seem to come with a BB.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Hopes trade prices are very high so very little mark for retailer plus min order of £500 I think last time I ordered from them plus carrage. Hence why I don’t stock hope just get it in to order as its a lot for me to have too much of it sat in stock

qwerty
    Free Member

Not very northern is he (unless he’s from north France)

woodster

Nice video! There’s a lot of money and effort in these and they do look ace, it’s just a lot of cash for a crank.

ahwiles
    Free Member

1 micron?! – that’s impressive, because it looks just like a normal CMM…

stumpy01

crankrider – Member

No wonder they are pushing the product so hard after investing what must be £350K on a brand new Matsuura to make them.

In the same way that the pedals baffled me in terms of manuafacturing time, he said the cranks take 25 mins each arm (not inc axles, axle clamp, bolts etc) Thats almost an hour to machine the arms alone.

Most shops would want over £80.00ph out of that machine for time alone (At that rate it would take over 540 days just to break even on the machines turnover – so nowhere near profit)

I took it to be 25 mins/side of that thing he was calling ‘the coffin’ – the fixture that held the crank arms in place for machining. And didn’t he say they can get 16 crank arms on each side of it?
    So, 25mins for 16 crank arms…..is just over 1.5 mins/crank arm. The speed it was cutting at, I don’t know what it would be doing for 25 mins if it was per crank. There’d be nothing left 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

Hopes trade prices are very high so very little mark for retailer plus min order of £500 I think last time I ordered from them plus carrage. Hence why I don’t stock hope just get it in to order as its a lot for me to have too much of it sat in stock

I don’t stock Hope, but I order quite a bit from them – they’re not fussed if I order a dozen hubs and brakes, or just one brake rotor, it always gets here next day. They’re a brilliant company to work with – and I can phone up and order a custom disc rotor with different drilling and diameter and they’ll happily run one off for me. Try getting that kind of service from Shimano 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

I just cant get my head around that they don’t seem to come with a BB.

Why? Shimano cranksets don’t

stevied
    Free Member

Shimano cranksets don’t

Yes they do 🙄
    XT: Comes complete with bottom bracket for 68 and 73 mm frames
    Deore: Includes a Shimnao Deore hollowtech 11 bottom bracket
    RaceFace: Comes with the high performance Turbine BB

cokie

I just cant get my head around that they don’t seem to come with a BB.
    Why? Shimano cranksets don’t

Yes they do.

Edit: Beaten to it. All Shimano cranks come with a BB.

whitestone
    Free Member

Fair enough – never bought them that way since I’m usually only replacing one or the other. In fact I’ve never seen the option before.

All Shimano cranks come with a BB.

My last Shimano cranks didn’t (Ultegra)

cookeaa

I took it to be 25 mins/side of that thing he was calling ‘the coffin’ – the fixture that held the crank arms in place for machining. And didn’t he say they can get 16 crank arms on each side of it?
    So, 25mins for 16 crank arms…..is just over 1.5 mins/crank arm. The speed it was cutting at, I don’t know what it would be doing for 25 mins if it was per crank. There’d be nothing lef

I understood him to mean 25 mins per “Coffin face” which showed four cranks (4×8=16) so a run of 16 crank arms is 1hr 40mins. Divide that by 8 (there’s two cranks per crankset) so that single op comes out at 12.5 minutes, Per crankset…

But then there’s a whole load of other Operations, they don’t really go into who’s doing the initial forgings for them but there will have been a chunk of tooling investment there, machine time on the axle and whichever spider/ring you choose, anodising, etc, etc…

Then there’s the obvious, rather dull question, are they significantly lighter/Stiffer/stronger than an XT-HT2 crankset?
    These are a want not a need purchase really…

nemesis
    Free Member

Road cranks don’t come with a BB because of italian/english threads (or at least that was the reason).

I’m actually surprised that mtb cranks still would given threaded and the various push fit BB standards now whereas originally it was just 68 or 73.

Speeder

I guess Hope see it as a modular system where you buy a BB to suit your frame as a separate item to the crank arms. I haven’t looked but I assume they do most variations.

I’d also like to know how they compare to XTR in weight terms. Not that I’m going to change as there’s no need but they do look nice (in a Hope kind of way)

takisawa2

So basically, Hope were wasting their time with all this then… 🙄

Great to see a UK firm & its people who are passionate about their product & investing in kit to make it happen. They’ll never beat Shimano/Sram, but that’s not really why folk buy Hope.

Having programmed & set plenty of multi-pallet CNC’s over the years, I’d say the 25 mins per tombstone was for 16 finished crank arms. I think some of those rapid feed rates have been slowed for the camera to pick them up, likewise turning the coolant off. 🙂

raisinhat
    Free Member

VitalMTB said: Weight: 641g (arms, axle and 34t spiderless ring)
    Compared with ~600g for xt cranks with no ring on them, so pretty much similar weights to shimano?

crankrider
    Free Member

So basically, Hope were wasting their time with all this then…

Great to see a UK firm & its people who are passionate about their product & investing in kit to make it happen. They’ll never beat Shimano/Sram, but that’s not really why folk buy Hope.

Having programmed & set plenty of multi-pallet CNC’s over the years, I’d say the 25 mins per tombstone was for 16 finished crank arms. I think some of those rapid feed rates have been slowed for the camera to pick them up, likewise turning the coolant off.

You guys may be right about it being one side of the tombestone taking 25 mins, it wont be 16 finished arms in 25 mins though, as above thats 1.5min an arm which is going the other way and too fast to be realistic. Still a LOT faster than 25min per arm!

I am not saying they are doing anything ‘wrong’ as such – just that other than for aesthetics / supporting UK manufacturing (which i do like to do) there are no real benefits at all from buying this product.

It wont be lighter or stiffer than the top offerings from shimano / sram and it is expensive, over £350 for a chainset is quite an investment when a SRAM X0, Spiderless ring from Works / RF and a bottom bracket is around £200 if you shop around.

I like hope stuff, i like Hope, these things will sell by the bucket load i am sure, just not for me this one….

brant
    Free Member

A chainring takes 2.5min to machine when optimised.

bencooper
    Free Member

It wont be lighter or stiffer than the top offerings from shimano / sram

Why not? Without access to the data from the test rigs, there’s no way you can say that.

crankrider
    Free Member

A chainring takes 2.5min to machine when optimised.

A chainring doesnt have 3d machining, thread cutting, spline cutting / broaching or the tolerances a chainset requires though, a much less ‘complicated’ part to make, plus i bet a ring could be made with about 4 tools.

It wont be lighter or stiffer than the top offerings from shimano / sram

Why not? Without access to the data from the test rigs, there’s no way you can say that.

You seriously think it will? You think it will have a better stiffness/weight ratio than the hollow forged offerings from a billion dollar company – even if it did, have you ever felt your XT chainset lacked in that area? – Your frame / wheels would move first.

Hope are a fashionable brand name now, and thats what this product is, an extension of the brand, nothing any better than what is already out there, in terms of price or weight, no top cranks like XT etc lack in durability and the bottom bracket isnt even included so we cant talk about that.

In the modern world of fashion led £7K+ trail bikes, this product is perfect.

honourablegeorge

crankrider – Member

I think in the world of 7K bikes, this is heavier than cheaper carbon offerings, and will struggle to sell as a result.

crankrider
    Free Member

crankrider – Member

I think in the world of 7K bikes, this is heavier than cheaper carbon offerings, and will struggle to sell as a result.

I doubt it, most of these bikes get pootled around trail centres on the weekend, they wont care about a few g if the bike has the latest chainset / pink stickers on the frame & wheels.

GregMay
    Free Member

I like them. I’m Looking forward to fondly feeling them and enjoying how they look. Frankly if you’re worried about a few grams weight take a long hard look at yourself first.
    I for one will be happy to eat less to both afford them and be able to offset the 50g or so they add. They’ll be on my 2k bike, hopefully the wife won’t notice she didn’t get a set.

bencooper
    Free Member

You think it will have a better stiffness/weight ratio than the hollow forged offerings from a billion dollar company

I don’t know – but I don’t belive that products from larger companies are always better than those from smaller companies. If that was true, everyone woul be riding a Giant.

takisawa2

You guys may be right about it being one side of the tombestone taking 25 mins, it wont be 16 finished arms in 25 mins though, as above thats 1.5min an arm which is going the other way and too fast to be realistic.

Hmmm…
    They are just finish machining a forging. If they were hacking them from a billet, yes that’s optimistic, but with 50 bar through-tool coolant, solid carbide tools etc; some of those tools will run at 800mm/min+ feed rates once optimised. I think 25min per tombstone is about right.
    I miss the shop floor. 😕

MSP

The flex they were putting through them on the testing looked quite significant, seeing as they said it simulated riding downhill.

legend
    Free Member

The mean “over-weight IT personnel downhill mincing” aka STWers aka target market

brant
    Free Member

A chainring doesnt have 3d machining, thread cutting, spline cutting / broaching or the tolerances a chainset requires though, a much less ‘complicated’ part to make, plus i bet a ring could be made with about 4 tools.

Yeh. Which is why I said it takes 2.5min. ie: bit longer than the 1.5min per crank arm which was being discussed.

Northwind

Excellent vid, cheers!

Think it’s fair to assume they’re forged out-of-house? It’s kind of passed over on the video and that’s proper money…

Goldigger
    Free Member

Does it only come in black?

crankrider
    Free Member

Hmmm…
    They are just finish machining a forging. If they were hacking them from a billet, yes that’s optimistic, but with 50 bar through-tool coolant, solid carbide tools etc; some of those tools will run at 800mm/min+ feed rates once optimised. I think 25min per tombstone is about right.
    I miss the shop floor.

No disrespect but i imagine the shop floor doesnt miss you if you think 800mm/min is fast, did you miss a zero out? – We do lots of 3d surfacing alu at work, it can be slower than hogging metal as there are so many passes to achieve the cosmetic finish hope go for.

Anyway, i suppose we are off topic now. I do like Hope and dont want to detract from what they are doing here in the UK which is great.

I do like the look of this crankset and it looks like a lot of other people like them too = win for hope no matter what an bod like me thinks!

crankrider
    Free Member

Yeh. Which is why I said it takes 2.5min. ie: bit longer than the 1.5min per crank arm which was being discussed.

Sorry Brant, thought you were saying the opposite and using the ring as an example – Shouldnt forget you know more than most would about this kind of stuff 🙂

legend
    Free Member

My work can only dream of 800mm/min……. and the work piece is approx 20m long 🙂

bullroar
    Free Member

I think initially black only, colours to follow a bit later according to one article I’ve read.

Didn’t the production bloke say the machine they have invested in will be used for other things not just the cranks?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘A nice look at Hope crank manufacture’ is closed to new replies.