Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 6'2 and a medium Cotic Bfe
  • tetsujin
    Free Member

Right. I am looking a getting more of a ‘play bike’.

I currently have a Giant XTC 29er in a large 19′ frame. This for me ride very well on longer rides etc blah blah blah…

But I have a keen group of friends who are into more of the dh side of things (attended races etc) and they are always out at the weekends riding courses and trails that are above what I usually would feel happy riding on my Giant.

So I’ve been doing a lot of reading here and there and as I don’t have a big budget (plus I don’t want alot of cash tied into a bike like this) I was looking at a used large Cannondale prophet and running something like 140mm all round ad this would make a great fun bike.

But also like the idea of a hardcore HT like the cotic bfe but at 6’2 and that its more of a fun bike would medium be too small for me?

I wouldn’t use it for big rides as I have my 29er and want a bike that’s more chuckable. My last mtb was a 20in lage bike and with 100mm dorks never felt chuckable on tech descents at all but maybe that’s me being a pussy.

Thoughts and opinions welcomed.

daveb
    Free Member

My sons Cotic Bfe is a small and I find it great fun when I have a play on it, I am just under 6ft. I think a medium would suit you for the sort of thing you are talking about.

letmetalktomark

Personally I would think it would be too small.

I am a very similar height about 6′ 3” and fine my 19” Soul a bit small would have though a medium 17” way too small for even play riding 😕

daveb
    Free Member

Hmm, maybe phone Cotic, they are always very helpful with questions like this

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It will be too big. If you want a play bike get the small or xsmall.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m 5-10 and I have a medium (as advised by Paul at Cotic), only just got it but it feels pretty good so far. I doubt a large would feel “too big” but a medium might feel “too small” ?

nicko74

As Daveb says, drop Cotic a line and they’ll tell you.

But I’m 6′ and find my medium Soda to be just right – if I were bigger or it were smaller it’d be too small (or I’d be too big). It still allows plenty of space to drop the saddle and play, too.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

A medium would be fantastic and I’m selling one in a lovely blue colour 😉

tetsujin
    Free Member

Thanks guys for all the advice. Best would be to try a med out but that’s gonna be a bit difficult I guess so a ring to Cotic is in order.

Sonofapitch – you would say that! Haha 🙂 was actually looking at your frame…

tetsujin
    Free Member

Actually I went and measured my top tube length on my Giant and came back with a length (inc depth of head tube and seat post) of 62cm (aprrox 24.5′) or do you measure the actual to tube which was 54cm (21.24′)?

The med bfe has a tt length of 23.25′ so I’m confussed if my frame is near enough the same or a lot shorter. But it feels nice to ride and is a bit xc in layout.

chiefgrooveguru

I believe effective top tube length is measured from the centre of the top of the head tube, along a horizontal line to where it would be bisected by a line projecting up from and following the central axis of the seat tube.

I’d get a medium. ‘Play bike’ doesn’t just mean dirt jumping or 4X and DH bikes aren’t short.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Robbie Rickman who rides/rode for Cotic is 6’2″ I think, he rode a small BFe. If its just for playing about on then I cant see why you’d want one any bigger than this.

Del.
    Free Member

Im 6’2″ & ride a large bfe… Just right for me. Run it with a reverb & when the saddles down find it easily chuckable & a blast on the decents. Currenty running 140mm Pikes,60mm stem, 710 mm bars

kudos100
    Free Member

If you are just using it for messing about/dj/downhill etc get a small

If you want to actually ride it xc, then you will have to compromise with a medium.

tetsujin
    Free Member

Yeah more as an alternative to a 140+ and to ride as a play bike. Not a jump bike but more dh/fast trails etc

I have a 29er for the miles

wishiwascalledsteve

I was in your position a few months ago. 6’2″ and went for a medium 17″ and love it. It’s my only bike so use for all kinds of riding, originally it had a Thomson post at full extension that just didn’t give enough height, bought a 430mm shanon post off here to provide the right saddle height for climbing.
    Run the bike with 140mm Pikes, 1×10 gearing and 2.4″ tubeless tyres. I wont lie, it’s not easy on the ups (you’ve just got to be prepared to struggle a bit on the climbs) but for singletrack and technical riding it’s perfect.

tetsujin
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂

The way I see it it’s a bike fro trail centres and messing with my mates who all have big dh bikes

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m a smidge under 6′ and ride a medium soul.

At my height I feel I’m at the limit for an all day bike at that size. I came from a 19″ handjob. It feels so more chuckable than the HJ was.

For a play bike I’d say medium would be pretty much spot on at 6’2″. But phone Cotic, they’ll set you right.

I also heard a rumour today that there’s a new batch on its way with a 44mm head tube and in that lush green colour. Not checked for its veracity, so don’t shoot me if I’m wrong 😀

Mebbe you could confirm this when you call them…

andeh

I’m a strapping 6’1″ and bought a medium roughly a year ago. I’m glad I did. it gets used for everything from DH to full days out in the Peaks. They’re very long bikes and I, personally, feel pretty stretched out even on the medium. I feel like the large would be ridiculous. For a play bike, I’d say you would definitely be better going for the medium.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Following on from above I just moved the seat back today as far as it goes as I found the cockpit a little short when pedalling (5-10 BFe medium). I find the bike climbs well with forks at 150 (better clearly at 120) it does bob a bit at 150 (possibly excessive body movement ?), compression lock out kills that but not so good for technical climbs.

FWIW we did 50k today xc plus singletrack on Surrey Hills and I found it a really comfortable ride (some comments on here about it being harsh), it has a real “get up and go” feel to it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘6'2 and a medium Cotic Bfe’ is closed to new replies.