• This topic has 480 replies, 127 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ton.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 481 total)
  • 500 Mile a month.
  • samuri
    Free Member

I’m up for this Ton. Did 5500 miles in 2013 and that was a year we moved house so 6000 for the year sounds like a good target. I’ll enter the endomondo group.

ton

gravitysucks…..more the merrier I reckon mate.
    ill health is the reason I am doing this….if I curl up me toes, I wanna do it doing something I enjoy……….. 8)

mattsccm
    Free Member

Takes time. did 6200 in 2012 with the last 2 weeks in hospital and several very poor weeks due to weather. that can really mess the averages. Did 6001 in 2013, last 25 yesterday. that was starting on Feb 1st after a month post hospital rest, several low weeks and nothing Xmas week.
    It really needs going out at every opportunity.
    Why not? I’ll be aiming for 6500 this year

mattsccm
    Free Member

I: get a lot of miles done on the gravel, here in the FoD. Less miserable in the rain or the dark.Good excuse for the SS or fixed as well.

cookeaa

This is a good goal to set and one I think I might have to adopt for myself. 125 miles a week is certainly doable, but it only takes one week of sketchy planning/illness/emergencies to knacker that monthly goal so I might gun for 500 a month with a lower “acceptable minimum” goal of 400 miles a month, which would still need me to top 125 a week for the remaining three, just because the rest of my life can get a bit in the way sometimes.

Good idea OP.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I’m in Ton. I usually can’t be arsed with Endomondo Challenges stuff but why not.

andytherocketeer

wonder how long before the German and Spanish endomondo trophy hunters join the group too? 😉

does anyone actually know who Xavier Muñoz Sanchez is?
    one of several that was always in the monthly challenges?
    is he a STWer?
    whoever he is he’s already signed up.
    just curious as to who this Spanish challenge winner is, more than anything.

might sign up in a bit, but my challenge is more “explore new areas” than miles/month

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

He’s even got his name on his Helmet. He means business!

northshoreniall

I’m in, been trying to figure out a challenge for this year to get me off arse and work on fitness. Like others suspect will have bad months but average out ok at end.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’m in. Good idea

andytherocketeer

w00t – I’m in last place (of those that have logged a ride) 😀

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Something like this is just that little bit of extra motivation…..

Following the post and setting up the Endomondo challenge I thought sod the weather …… Wind and rain…… Went out on my bike …. Did 10 miles …. Got a puncture …. Got soaked…… But hey….. What the hell……. Beats having to watch emmer dale and corra !!

10 miles down….. Just 490 to go for January !

I have in my head that I’m actually targeting 6000 for the year……. That allows me to ‘miss’ a little in the winter and make it up in the summer months ….. Possibly ….;-)

ton

doh, how do i add a ride to the endomomdo thing?

wors

doh, how do i add a ride to the endomomdo thing?

Either do it via your phone, or add workout on the Endomondo sight if your phone fails to log the ride, like mine did this morning!!!

amedias
    Free Member

I’ll unofficially (not got endomondo) join you, I’ve been averaging 420 a month since September so it’s an achievable goal for me while still being quite a challenge!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Do those of you who think this is an attainable target do a lot of those miles commuting? I love riding my bike but I really can’t imagine getting 500 miles a month in without seriously sacrificing family time.

Hang on… 😆

ton

most of my target will be commuting miles.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Do those of you who think this is an attainable target do a lot of those miles commuting?

Average 3 days a week commuting plus a longer ride at the weekend. I’d get nowhere near that if I didn’t commute on the bike.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Only way I’ll get to 500 per month with this weather is if im allowed to count my turbo miles 🙄

stanfree
    Free Member

500 miles is a fair bit to commit to each month , Last year I had only managed 1000 miles up to May then due to the good weather managed to up my miles. Lond story short I realisied I could break 4000 miles by the end of the year . This involved having to do about 500 miles in the last month . To be honest It was a total chore and I sacrificed fun mtb rides for dull windy cold road rides. I managed the 4000 miles but I had to endure doing the final 40 miles in the dark against a 40 mph wind.
    This year Im not bothering trying to keep weekly / monthly totals as It takes a lot of the fun out of It , that said you will get much fitter If you manage It so Good luck .

pondo

It’s a lot more than I’ve ever managed, but it’s something to aim for, hey? 🙂 Just gonna try and ride more regularly and see where I end up (figuratively speaking).

Vinte
    Free Member

Sounds like a good plan. Might do this but I’d have to include the miles I do at my twice weekly spin class to make the 500.

MoreCashThanDash

It’s a great challenge. Hit 4300 miles the last two years, aiming for 5k this year, so won’t be signing up this time.

I usually lose a month due to colds and back injuries, and ad commuting makes up over half my mileage holidays actually set me back!

grahamg
    Free Member

I generally do about this or a bit more, but that’s all on road – a significant proportion of that as off-road miles would be proper hard going I reckon depending on the level your’re starting at!

flybywire
    Free Member

I commute 28miles a day,14 each way.
    On average takes 45mins in and 45back.

Been in the current job since June 2006.
    Rarely take the car.
    Without holiday or leave do 560miles a month plus recreational riding which peaks in summer 🙂

Can be done and is useful to have a second bike standby to rely on.

houndlegs
    Free Member

I’ve just joined,can’t see me making 500 a month though,but it’ll be good to have a challenge.
    Also I think I may just be zeroing my computer at the beginning of the month and post on here rather than using endomondo,I’ve just been out for approx hour and a half and it used 80% of my phone battery,and that was from a full charge. Look well if I need to make emergency call and endomondo has killed my phone.

houndlegs
    Free Member

OK,my second outing today using endomondo. It constantly stops and starts,driving me mad with that whiny electronic voice. It stopped at one point and then chirped up about 5 miles later.
    After this had gone on for far too long I decided to stop and have a look at my phone,with the result I ended up resetting it by accident.
    So,now I’m home and have two separate rides that have robbed me of 10 miles.
    I could be basking at the giddy height of seventh place this evening 😆
    Me and endomondo are through.
    Anyone else have things like this with it?

Edit. I give in,I just had a look at it and now its showing correctly. Bloody technology.

ton

I signed on to the endomondo thing.
    done 4 rides so far, and added them as new workouts…..it has registered 3 of the 4.
    I am not doing anything with my phone tho. just adding the rides to keep a track of em.
    4 rides adding up to 74 miles so far.

Mbnut
    Free Member

I have set myself a 50 miles a week target but that is all off road.

Even that is not always easy to hit as the clay/chalk/flint ground around here is nought short of hard work in the current conditions, i always enjoy the riding but the cleaning and kit drying is a bit depressing.

With commuting 500 miles a month should be quite doable… good luck and enjoy.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just joined the group. Up to 70 miles today but doubt i’ll make the target, only done 1600 miles since end of feb last year.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I have added a ride to Endomondo but in the challenge next to my name it says “no applicable workouts”. The ride was uploaded from my Garmin and I have classed it as “Cycling sport”.

Anyone?

Thanks

andytherocketeer

sometimes takes a little while for rides to show up in challenges (few hours sometimes at the weekend).

also make sure the “include this workout in statistics” button is checked (else it won’t appear in stats or challenges)

simmy
    Free Member

I did 2500 miles last year, mostly on the MTB as I didn’t get the road bike till August.

I’d like to double that this year. I’ve felt like rubbish today with yet another cold so I’ve not been out but have managed 46 miles so far this year………

djflexure

Signed up. Need something to get me motivated this year.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ooh, 3rd spot – that wont last! Done 102 miles so far, its a good incentive to record my commuting trips although its only a 3 mile round trip 😀

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

sometimes takes a little while for rides to show up in challenges (few hours sometimes at the weekend).

Thanks Andy you were right. It’s there now.

Olly
    Free Member

im working towards 100! hmmmm.

If i join an Endomondo and fail miserably, will that reflect badly on me? 🙁
    can i be bothered to log ALL rides, even to the pub and back?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Olly – my thoughts exactly! 😀

TheSanityAssassin

How’s everyone finding it then? Is being involved working as an incentive, or, conversely, a bit de-motivating when you see what some others are doing?
    It’s a good incentive at the mo for me, for eg: I’d probably have done about a 25 mile leg-stretcher yesterday (prior to a near 80 mile club run today), but ended up adding a loop to get a 42 in. I was also out on a bloody foul Weds night last week, cranking out a 35 mile training ride that I’d not have bothered with pre-Christmas.
    Haven’t touched the mtb since early Nov though, which I really ought to rectify soon.

ton

doing me the world of good. ridden every day since the start, and just a few more miles each day.
    managed 217 in 12 rides so far…..not bad for a fat grandad with a knackered ticker……. 😆

endomondo thing is not showing all my miles for some reason tho, but I am keeping my own log.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 481 total)

The topic ‘500 Mile a month.’ is closed to new replies.