• This topic has 480 replies, 127 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ton.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 481 total)
  • 500 Mile a month.
  • ton

going to try and ride 500 miles a month. I know it is not far to some on here, but to others it is a nice target to aim for.

I am going to post each months mileage on this thread.
    anyone fancy it?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Good man Tony!
    Dunno if ill manage 500 a month, but want to do a lot more this year..

mooman
    Free Member

To what aim is the 500 miles a month towards?

Could get very boring if they are simply junk miles.

Good luck anyways.

ton

aim? no aim mooman, just to get out on the bike more.
    could be racingtouringcommutingmtbingdownhillingbikepoloingtimetrialingbmxingpootlingbimblingshredding or just plain old riding.

8)

cheers_drive

6000 miles a year is a fair wack. Way more than I or many on here can hope to do and we don’t have permanent AF. Make sure your goal is reasonably achievable though or else it’s too easy to give up.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I will join you on that buddy ……. I’ve managed 500 miles a month a couple of times in the last 2 years since I have started cycling ‘properly’…. Both months being on holiday……

Don’t know realistically how likely it is I will do it but a good target anyways!

Set up a Strava or Endomondo group ?

imnotverygood

Good luck with that. It is quite a big total to try for in the winter. I tried something similar a few years ago and found it was easier to do if you aim for that as an average monthly total for the year. That way if you have a bad month due to illness/bad weather etc you can catch up later and can still stick to your resolution.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’m going to have a crack at this. With commuting, plus a weekend ride and the odd event I should manage it.

ton

this months target works out at 16.2 miles a day. not too difficult I hope.

Bregante

racingtouringcommutingmtbingdownhillingbikepoloingtimetrialingbmxingpootlingbimblingshredding

I’m prepared to pay money to a charity of your choice to watch the bmxing Tony 😆

DanW
    Free Member

I was just about to say something similar on the average riding needed to hit the goal. just over 7 hours a week on the bike (assuming this is on the road and 16mph average speed). Is this on the road Ton? Riding 7 hours a week on average doesn’t sound like much but a bad few weeks can be hard to make up for. All the best Ton

Solo
    Free Member

junk miles

Thankfully, I don’t think I’ve encountered any of these.

Cycling’s great !

🙂

DanW
    Free Member

Yep, no such thing as junk miles, especially if you have a specific goal of 500 miles a month and enjoy Audaux riding. The riding meets the goal.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Endomondo challenge created.

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/13712660

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Cool just joined.

hora
    Free Member

Serious question, why?

Wear tear infection etc etc. Ride for fun not quantity.

andytherocketeer

nice @ 500/month

significantly more than I’d manage, even with commuting

oh… may want to change the end date of that endomondo challenge to 1 Jan 2015, just in case any participants do a last ditch attempt on 31/12 to get the final 500 😉

IanW
    Free Member

I would plan for a few higher mile months in June, July and August and a few less in December, January and February.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Beat of luck, should do your health the world of good.. 😀

Tracker1972
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Serious question, why?

Serious answer, because he wants to, and that makes it fun? I would if I could so I will join the Endomondo challenge and fail miserably to make 500 miles a month thanks to idleness/work/kids/alltheotherexcusesyoucanthinkof but will enjoy watching 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Ride for fun not quantity.

It’s more fun when you’re fitter.

And more miles = more opportunities for bikey fun.

andytherocketeer

wonder how long before the German and Spanish endomondo trophy hunters join the group too? 😉

may join but I won’t be doing 500x12miles, but could act as the sweeper in last place. Anyone behind me will have to pull their finger out and JGOAR to have any pride.

ton

Hora…..why not?

also might add, I am quite excited about doing this, not had a bike challenge to aim for over the last 3yrs thru ill health.
    feel ok enough to go for this. 8)

eshershore
    Free Member

@ton

Good luck!

I ride 250km a week so 1000 km a month commuting to work and back, don’t really ride recreationally any more

Body gets used to the distance quite easily as long as you don’t push too hard, you will get hungry though!

bikeneil
    Free Member

Serious question, why? Wear tear infection etc etc. Ride for fun not quantity.

This ^ Unless it’s for bragging rights.

wors

Good luck mate, I’ll join you on this.

takisawa2

Go on then, seeing as it’s you… 🙂

I’m aiming for the bottom 5.

amplebrew

It’s nice to have a challenge and something to spur me on.

Not sure I’ll manage 500 miles every month due to shift work, but I’ll have a go; just joined the Endomondo group now.

scotroutes

Big challenge!! Best of luck. I’ve only once managed to average 500 miles a month over a year. I barely made half that in 2013 (though the vast majority were off-road this time).

Challenges are great. They give you incentive. I (only just) managed the bivvy-a-month thing for 2013 and will be repeating it this year.

TheSanityAssassin

The challenge has been set up as ‘number of workouts’ not as a ‘cumulative mileage’ challenge. Surely the idea is to record the amount of miles and not how many times you ride?

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Ok, would love to get on this but health has been a mare dealing with the arse end of meningitis

Reckon I could potentially do it if I could Include static miles like turbo, gym bike or spinning classes.
    I’ve just joined the gym to try and regulate my excercise more. Up to now I struggled to get out as my immune system is pants and it’s been to cold and dark (used to do loads of night riding 🙁 ). It’s been a hard winter and I’m massively off the pace and put on a stone +.

Having a goal like this will help to motivate me to keep the exercise up even when I feel too rubbish to be outside on a proper bike.

So what you reckon lads. Room for a bit of nesh lad in your 500 club?

oldnpastit

I’d love to be able to do that but I don’t think I have the time (I’m assuming getting a tow from a truck at 100mph doesn’t count). Good luck though, sounds like an excellent thing to try to do!

Sandwich

Ooh I’m tempted. I’ll see if the LBS has some raceblade longs.

Gary_M
    Free Member

500 miles a month can be difficult to do in December and January if its a cold winter. Why not aim for 6000
    A year with the plan to do 3000 by end of June.

December was good though and only the wind towards the end of the month kept me off the bike for a couple of days.

Hornet600
    Free Member

Always good to have a challenge and if it keeps you motivated and out on the bike, then all the better.

I will be targeting something similar this year, with the intent of then racing again next year.

Hornet600
    Free Member

Always good to have a challenge and if it keeps you motivated and out on the bike, then all the better.

I will be targeting something similar this year, with the intent of then racing again next year.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Serious question, why?

Its only 125 miles a week, it’s hardly going to lead to infection. I do around that mileage most months and I’m fine. And it’s still fun.

IanW
    Free Member

When I was just mtb’ing at the weekend a full week of commuting or a lengthy road ride would leave me feeling run down. After doing more miles last year(in the region of 500 per month) I feel much more resilient and no more likely to get ill or anything.
    Weather and daylight though make it difficult to get the miles in through winter. So to plan for that and build some fitness I would suggest 300,300,400,500,600,700,700,700,600,500,400,300 or similar.

tadpole
    Free Member

I’ve just set myself the same 500 mile goal! Did a 1000 mile November before last, it was a bit time consuming, so rattled off some bigger days to cover days when I knew I would be too busy to get out on bike. Didn’t think of it as a chore at all, enjoyed being out on bike!

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

I agree in the winter it is pretty hard to average that, I average that in the summer but have struggled since October.

There is a endomondo winter challenge running already in this thread,(just commuting though):

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/endomondo-winter-commuter-challenge

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 481 total)

The topic ‘500 Mile a month.’ is closed to new replies.