• This topic has 480 replies, 127 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ton.
Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 481 total)
  • 500 Mile a month.
  • D0NK

My year picked up since last post, March and April we had that dry spell, so bagged 600 and 597 respectively so woot! there.
    May was a bit rubbish and I’ve had low level sniffles throughout and still not shifted, a rather poor, considering the time of year, 436 (I should clock ~100 a week just commuting)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup I’m cracking on, most of it on the roadie.

Tan lines have appeared.. 😀

disco_stu
    Free Member

Managed my first 500 mile month in June, I’ve lost a few pounds as a result, sadly 95% singlespeed commuting miles.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

700 miles behind the target so far this year…..but heck of a lot of mtb mile, which is good.

rone

1000miles on the Mtb for May. Not felt great for June though.

pete68
    Free Member

How’d everyone get on for June then? Got to 1007 for the month which keeps me over the 500 a month for all 6 months so far. I’ll be taking it a bit easier for the next few weeks, before I start my main race of the year. Want to feel fresh for that.

ton

need 10 miles for my 1st 500 mile month of the year…..might even manage 600 miles. 😀

finding this loads harder than last year.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Excellent..

Me?

Given up on counting. 😀

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve been doing 500 (road)miles/month as part of my commute recently and I have to admit that it feels really good! I can see why you’d want to commit to it 🙂

grannyjone
    Free Member

So far since Winter ended I’ve usually only managed 250-350 per month but then I only ride off-road and only for fun. I’ve been aiming for 500 for a while but it’s never happened. Full time job, lack of doorstep riding, bad weather and lack of endurance, all getting in the way. It’s also going to get a lot less than that in Winter.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I managed 500 miles in two months of the year which was a bit of an improvement, just over 4300 miles for the year in total, though there were too many commuting miles and hardly any mtb miles.
    This year I’m hoping to get to 5000 miles.

Sandwich

Are we going again or is there no appetite for it in 2016?

andytherocketeer

dunno about 500/month, but I certainly plan to ride more than last year (not hard, rode 0 miles since Morzine in July!)

good to see I didn’t come last on the stats

need something to motivate though!

Sandwich

AndrewJ
    Free Member

I gave the 500 miles a month a go during 2015. I sailed through the first 7 months of the year until August and the first 2 weeks being taken up with the family holiday. Fitting 500 miles into the second half of August was a bit of a challenge but I had expected it. September and October were ok but then it got really hard once the clocks went back. It wasn’t so much the dark mornings and evening of November and December more the constant rain and wind! The weather during these 2 months seriously tested my resolve!

Anyway, I managed to complete it but I won’t be actively trying to complete it again that’s for sure. November and December are seriously tough months to ride a 1000 miles in!

Mister-P
    Free Member

I cracked the 6000 mile mark for 2015 finishing the year with 681 miles in December. Maybe in 2016 I won’t leave myself with one of my bigger months at the end.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Junk miles – descending for your next climb during Rapha Rising.. in shitty weather. Wearing out your rims a lot quicker than normal.

crazy-legs

Sort of in two minds about it. On the one hand it would get me out riding more (in terms of Strava, I only did >500 miles in 2 months last year although actually taking commutes into account it was probably 4-5 months).

On the other hand, I want to enjoy riding my bike, not feel I have to ride the bloody thing 40 miles in rubbish weather on the 30th of the month just to make an arbitrary distance.

andytherocketeer

That’s sort of why I didn’t really choose a distance goal last year, and don’t really want to this year either, but I do need something as motivation.
    When I set an annual target, I ended up going out on the CX bike just for the sake of making the number higher.
    Also had similar issue with the photo-a-day thing. Half way thru the year you take a photo of literally anything at 23:59 just to say you’ve taken a photo.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Wearing out your rims a lot quicker than normal.

Not with disc brakes.

crazy-legs

That’s sort of why I didn’t really choose a distance goal last year, and don’t really want to this year either, but I do need something as motivation.

I did an Everest last year. http://www.everesting.cc/
    That was good as a target.

Got a couple of rides in the planning stages at the moment which sort of tell a story – there’s a purpose and connection with them rather than it simply being out turning the pedals so I’m hoping that those will work as a motivational tool as well.

And I’ll do LEJOG again which is an easy way of doing 1000 miles in 10 days!

andytherocketeer

wtf! just checked the nearest hill to here (Frankenstein’s Castle) for a laugh, and someone actually everested it last year.
    22hrs10min 45 reps
    nutters

I did have a kind of a plan to ride up to several summits not too far away, but succeeded in only 1. not so much for ticking off summits but to force me to ride further than my normal loops.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

I think time goals could be a better idea. Say want to ride 10 hrs a week – this takes into account different types of biking (mtb clearly takes longer time per km than road) and still gets you out. Of course if you commute then 10 hrs will go quickly but you get the idea.

Strava has facilities in place to set time per week goals and track progress I believe.

rp16v
    Free Member

has anyone setup another one of these for 2016 yet ?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I cracked the 6000 mile mark for 2015 finishing the year with 681 miles in December. Maybe in 2016 I won’t leave myself with one of my bigger months at the end.

I was in a similar position, end of November and over 600 miles still to do which is difficult in a usual December. Fortunately the weather was okay, no icy days, so did over 600 in December taking my annual total to 6027, 7 more than 2014, and cracking the 6000 on 31st December (I did want to ride that day anyway). But I was off the bike the whole of October 2015 recovering from knee surgery so I was delighted to get over the 6k.

Not sure I’ll bother setting any targets this year but I’ll see how it goes. Although I would like to get a 1000 mile month in this year, tried last year but only got to 933.

crazy-legs

I might just about scrape this for January. Done 158 miles already since 1st Jan which considering I’ve done zero bike commuting isn’t too bad.
    A couple of weeks of commuting and some longer rides at weekends and/or evenings should see me off to a good start for the year.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

137 miles so far, if I can keep that up for the next 51 weeks..

Sandwich

Bloodsexmagik may be onto something there. Whilst spinning home last Friday I was idly thinking that a time based challenge may be the way to go.
    Based on my paltry 15mph average at this time of year on road I make 500 miles just shy of 21 hours bike time.

In previous years we had monthly challenges of winner takes all each month based on MTB, all cycling and road cycling. How about a 21 hour target for all forms of cycling and 15 hours for recreation/training/racing (if you’re a serious type) cycling?

I’ll keep an eye on answers and set it all up once there’s a consensus.

ton

anyone still doing this. I am plugging away still. failed last year by about 500 miles.
    just gone over the 500 mark for this month.

djflexure

I liked the idea when I saw it last year but never came close to giving it a go. Started commuting again which is 25 miles round trip – aiming for 3X week. Set myself a 75 mile per week target on Strava. Just done 530 in total for Jan. Will try and keep the focus going as long as I can.

olddonald

Yep – managed 501 for January – didnt get in the Fred Whitton – so I have to do something – bloody windy tonight though on the commute home

crazy-legs

Nowhere bloody close!

258 miles on Strava plus a paltry 1.5 commutes (rode in one day, got the train home, that’s 45 miles which I didn’t Strava) plus 90 miles on the velodrome* (which I can’t Strava cos it’s indoors!)
    Total 393 miles.

Started February a little better, got a commute in today (30 miles) so see if that kick starts me a bit.

*not all in one go obviously!

bikebouy
    Free Member

ton – Member
    anyone still doing this.

Not
    Even
    Going
    To
    Bother

😆

prawny

I’ve started full time commuting again so a 500 mile month should be fairly easy, did 762 miles in Jan, all commuting. When the sun starts coming up earlier I’m looking forward to getting back on the MTB and having some fun.
    I’m far to knackered for any more riding at the moment though.

andytherocketeer

managed a big fat 0 in January

one thing I can say for sure is that I can’t do worse in feb 😉

disco_stu
    Free Member

252 miles for January, the awfulness of the weather at the weekend has kept me indoors and its not looking good for the coming weekend :(-

rp16v
    Free Member

251 for me in jan
    was nowhare near the target for last year so have lowerd to 3000miles for the year as this years target

Daffy

635 for January, but March is going to be a struggle unless I take a bike with me whilst travelling with work…hmmm

TiRed

1136 km. Set a target of 300 km/week but I think 250 is more reasonable. It was a bad month and cycling is the prescribed therapy 🙁 . I did complete the Rapha festive 500 last week instead. What do I win?

disco_stu
    Free Member

I’ve just created a 500 mile a month challenge on Endomondo as I’ve got a sportive and my first MTB race in about 20 years coming up and I found this challenge helpful in motivating me to get out and about.

Hoping for a top 10 finish this year as I finished just ouside last year at 11.

https://www.endomondo.com/challenges/27041684

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 481 total)

The topic ‘500 Mile a month.’ is closed to new replies.