• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 456 sizing advice-16" or 18" for 5'10"?
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

Fancy a 456 frame as a birthday present to myself as a foray into hardtails for the first time in 5 years (abandoned due to spine problem which has finally improved). I am 5'10" with a 31-32" inseam. On-one size guide puts me in the top of 16 or bottom end of 18. Having read similar threads for scandal/inbreds and blue pigs I am going around in circles.

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?page_id=590

I currently ride a medium/17" Kona Coiler (which would be donating all the parts including a 140mm Marz 55R) and a medium SC Nomad, both have TT length of around 22.5" which I am comfortable on fitted with 80mm stems. So TT length alone would steer me to the 16, but am I going to run out of seatpost?

My last hardtail was a Litespeed Obed in 18" which began to feel too big when I started riding it alongside smaller full sussers.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Same size as you, 16" definetely. Just got rid of mine for something sportier. My new 18" BMC has the same tt length as the 16" 456, just with less standover.

Kato

On-one size guide puts me in the top of 16 or bottom end of 18

I had the same problem, but with 18/20. Went for the smaller frame and regretted it, had to sell it and buy a 20 in the end

CheesybeanZ

5`10 and a 31" inseam both my inbred and 5 are 18"

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I had a 16 456 TI and felt it was a little to Long in the top tube for me, I am 5"8. 32 ins leg,and sold it eventually. 😥

You Dont need an 18 imho

reggiegasket
    Free Member

based on the Coiler comments. 70 or 80mm stem, and a reasonable rise riser.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Dunno……
    I'm 5'10" (and a little bit) and I've got an 18 which feels good to me – but I'd like to try a 16 sometime. It's a pain being smack inbetween sizes!

firestarter
    Free Member

im five ten with 31 inseam and have (just sold) a 16 it fitted great with an inline post and 70mm stem. I had 245mm of post from top of frame to rails showing. I tried an 18 but it was i bit too big for me really . Tho i think both can be made to fit 🙂

pitduck
    Free Member

16 😀

coolhandluke
    Free Member

6ft 1" tall 34" inside leg on a 20" 456. Had an 18" inbred that was too small….just.

nickc

Tbh it won't matter that much you could make either fit you. Long xc rides? Go for the 18. Short mucking about in the woods? I'd go for the 16

hora
    Free Member

Munqe-chick/MrC- your definitely a 16". I bought Micks 16" 456 and Im 6ft1. I found it spot on interms of length. The 18" is quite leggy to what you think it would be (if that makes sense)- its very 'XC'.

firestarter
    Free Member

have you got it built yet mate

stoney
    Free Member

I had a quike go on Gavgas 16"…. then i bought 1 and i`m 5 10(and a little bit) 😉

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I have an 18" normal inbred and 16" 456. not much different in length but for the kind of riding a 456 is designed for, a 16" is more confidence inspiring, just because it has a bit more standover. This questions seems to come up everyday – can we have it as a sticky? 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

matthew -oddily using the forum search I found very Q's about the 456, only the ragley and scandal/inbred i referred to which surprised me as from generally reading STW I got the impression half the membership rode them…

I am erring on the 16" for the reason you say (chuckable vs stable XC) as the top tube on the 18" will be a chunk longer than I am used to, and with both my other bikes I have gone for, and felt comfortable on, the smaller size. The Nomad size range is similar in that 5'10 is right at the top of medium and I find that fits me perfectly. In the Blue Pig thread Brant replied to a poster with if youre sensible XC then 18, if youre a play rider then 16 (which agrees with nickc and other comments above). Gone are the days when I was an XC whippet…

Cheers for all the replies. Am pretty sure that chocolate brown with cream decals is the way forward, not too sure about the new blue and pink is a bit too loud for me.

edit: bought 16"!

Rickos
    Free Member

I ride a 15.5 inch Kona Howler and with a 400mm post I just get away with it. I've got a 33 inch inside leg, so you should be fine post wise with a 16 inch.

HomesickSmoggie
    Free Member

I'm 5'10, bit more with my boots on and have had an 18" inbred, an 18" old tinbred and currently an 18" 456 – all have fitted like an old slipper with an 80mm stem, but then my riding is 99% sitting on a bike and pedalling and 1% being "rad".

I'd buy two in the sale and sell which one doesn't fit – cost you £20 max.

poppa
    Free Member

My reply to a nother thread:

FWIW I am a long legged 5'10.5" (33" inside leg, measured the 'correct' way) and I wouldn't want to go smaller than 18" on my 456. I have a 350mm seatpost at max extension and it still feels a tiny bit low compared to my road bike. I find that OK though, because you need to be able to 'hover' a bit on a HT. For me, a 16" would be useless for any XC duties (but probably lots of fun for 'razzing', whatever that may be).

poppa
    Free Member

Oh, and here's my (almost finished) chocolate brown, since you are thinking of one:

I think it looks a lot better in real life.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

poppa cheers for the pic, went for that colour as I think it looks classy and neither the pink or blue really did it for me.

Went for 16" as I've ridden my 22.5" top-tubed Kona for happily for years and done all-day rides on it, and as I said before I seem to like riding "small", so I think the 16" will feel more natural and less like a raked out XC race bike. Worst case scenario it appears in classifieds and I go for an 18", but the whole idea is a gamble as I'm assuming positively that my back will cope.

Thanks again for all the responses, useful food for thought.

hora
    Free Member

have you got it built yet mate

Its in the Park stand infront of me- I'm still in two minds if I want to try single speed or not.

Poppa, on the website that brown looks gash. Builtup/yours looks lush though. Reminds me of my old rootbear Heckler 😀

hora
    Free Member

Ok first ride yesterday and today. 16" is spot on for me and I am 6ft1. DONT listen to folk saying 'you are x height? You need this'. Its subjective. I wondered why I never got on with the 18" Summer Season and the 18" Ti456 that I had.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘456 sizing advice-16" or 18" for 5'10"?’ is closed to new replies.