Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)
  • 4 cyclists killed in 8 day in London
  • brooess
    Free Member

My estimation of Boris has just gone downwards. A long way.

He’s just trying to distance himself from the superhighways which he made so much of a fuss of… IMO they’re a thoroughly crap solution anyway. Blue paint doesn’t force drivers to give me space or stop tailgating me…

He’s in a place of great influence and making such an anecdotal, subjective and ill-informed (Police surveys show most collisions between car drivers and cyclists are the fault of the driver) statement is a very poor reflection on his priorities and sends a deeply unhelpful message out to the masses

ninfan
    Free Member

Well, I would guess that Boris is likely in a better position to have heard preliminary police reports into any of the deaths than we are…

Having volunteered a few times down at the TRL where they have been testing cycle facilities, I’m also more than happy to come to the conclusions that
    i) a lot of effort and research is being put in behind the scenes designing solutions that work, rather than just throwing in anything willy-nilly
    ii) A lot of the things that initially seem good ideas, really don’t function that well when you actually put riders and traffic on them

richmtb

I think what gets forgotten in this debate is the asymmetry of the relationship between bikes and vehicles.

To kill someone in a car with my bike I would need to persuade them somehow to leave the safety of their metal box and either strangle them with my chain or bludgeon them repeatedly with the whole bike.

To kill someone on a bike with my car I just need to change direction without looking

So while cyclists aren’t perfect blaming them seems to miss the point

kimbers

borris has previous in making up bullshit claims about cyclists being at fault in most accidents

hed said that cyclists were at fault in 60% of collisions

he later coneded hed heard that figure off a stranger

actual..

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2012/may/25/cycling-governed-dimwits

in response london cycling campaign …..

http://lcc.org.uk/articles/mayor-unable-to-back-up-claim-that-two-thirds-of-cyclist-injuries-caused-by-cyclists-breaking-the-law

D0NK

Well, I would guess that Boris is likely in a better position to have heard preliminary police reports into any of the deaths than we are…

he is, which is why I put question marks up there, I’m also inclined to bet heavily that he hasn’t seen them yet and is talking out of his arse. If he has seen them should he really be blaming victims in public just from preliminary reports?

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Preliminary police reports said that Jean Charles de Menezes jumped the gate

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve already been misrepresented as advocating a ban on deaf cyclists (which is totally NOT what I said).

I’ll sign.

How do you sign the noise of a tipper truck?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

The media needs to sort itself out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24936942

The as yet unnamed cyclist was not wearing a helmet at the time of collision with the route 205 bus, Metropolitan Police said.

Um, the poor guy got cleaned up by a bus, I’m not sure we should be concerned about whether or not he had a plastic hat on.

Karinofnine

lol @ aracer

Seriously, 8-wheelers – they’re noisy, they stink, they’re big and they make the ground shake. Not much frightens me but tipper trucks with those great big wheels properly give me the willies (I give them a WIDE berth). That bashed-in, rusty, uncared-for bodywork tells me they aren’t worried about a scratch or two (a car owner’s desire to keep their car looking nice is – I think HOPE – something that gives me at least a little protection).

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

“The fault in most bicycle accidents lies with the behaviour of some drivers, with the design of some lorries, with the lay-out of some junctions, and more profoundly with the way politicians, council officials and urban planners, when designing and refining Britain’s transport infrastructure, have neglected cyclists for decades.”

It comes to something when the leader in the Times is more positive than so many people contributing to a cycling forum.

will
    Free Member

6 in 10 days now 🙁

Reports of a woman hit by a HGV at Roehampton. Terrible .

kimbers

^^driver arrested suspicion of death by dangerous driving

SandyThePig
    Free Member

I’ve had a few crashes and close calls. The crashes were (AFAICR) all down to the driver either not looking or seeing me. Some of the close calls were my own fault though. I do tank along at a decent link.

I don’t think people are out to get you, and I try to be cheery and respectful to car drivers. In the case of bad driving, I might attempt to make it obvious that a particular maneuver was dangerous.

I just think we should all try and get along, however I’ve never biked in London either.

PMK2060

A 55 year old cyclist was killed this month in Sheffield. Today wad his funeral. They were discussing it on radio Sheffield this morning. They had a so called expert on advising cyclists to wear high visibility clothing, to use lights etc. No mention of drivers taking care despite the fact that the driver in question has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and the accident happening in daylight hours. Boils my piss!

brakes
    Free Member

Reports of a woman hit by a HGV at Roehampton. Terrible .

apparently not a cyclist

kimbers

newsnight feature now bbc2

brooess
    Free Member

Rode in today (SE London to Paddington). Yet again, close passes, tailgating, hooting, abuse… all for choosing a different form of transport from a car or the Tube.

Maybe, just maybe the media and political fuss of all the deaths this week might be a turning point…

technicallyinept
    Free Member

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/video/2013/nov/15/cyclist-london-cycle-superhighway-2-video#start-of-comments

The new bit at the end of the clip looks quite good but that half-arsed segregation at the roundabout is pretty scary. I would not want to ride around there.

aracer
    Free Member

It comes to something when the leader in the Times is more positive than so many people contributing to a cycling forum.

The difference being that he’s probably a cyclist.

amedias
    Free Member

just keeps getting worse 🙁

asterix
    Free Member

wondering why it has been so bad in just this last few days (as compared with the few weeks just before say) – is it co-incidence or is there an explanation such as the clocks changing or the weather being worse or …?

Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘4 cyclists killed in 8 day in London’ is closed to new replies.