Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)
  • 4 cyclists killed in 8 day in London
  • scu98rkr
    Free Member

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/541200/fourth-cyclist-in-eight-days-dies-on-london-roads.html

At least 3 other have been ran over in that time to but survived.

Also like half the deaths have been from truck and half of them from tipper trucks pretty obvious the current design of trucks is unsuitable for mixing with cyclists.

So they either need to be banned from mixing with cyclists or completely redesigned.

johnners
    Free Member

So they either need to be banned from mixing with cyclists or completely redesigned.

That’s somewhat extreme – I’d think a bit of driver and rider education probably wouldn’t go amiss.

bencooper
    Free Member

Low cab trucks exist.

If tanks were being driven around the city, crushing car drivers, of course something would be done.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

That’s somewhat extreme – I’d think a bit of driver and rider education probably wouldn’t go amiss

That exactly what the CTC have been saying for the last 70 years where has it got us no where. Cycling number have been dropping and dropping and now they’ve picked up in London 4 people killed in 8 days.

Also the driver stopped and theres no suggestion either him or the cyclist where at fault, add it that people make mistakes. In which case how do u stop this other than redesigning the trucks ?

mrmo
    Free Member

just to make everyone feel better,

a hit in run in Cheshire.

http://www.cheshire-today.co.uk/22652/cyclist-killed-in-nantwich-hit-and-run/

Karinofnine

I appreciate my view may be unpopular, but here goes anyway…

I am a regular long-term cycle commuter. Every day I observe cyclists pull out of side roads without looking, change lanes without looking or indicating, and they ride up the nearside of vehicles when the vehicle is indicating to turn left (FFS! what has a lorry driver got to do? They indicate, they have audible warning, and yet idiots STILL try to pass on the nearside).

People ride along with earphones in, completely oblivious to what’s going on around them, distracted by whatever they are listening to and cut off from their surroundings. Crazy.

They fiddle around with whatever’s in their front basket, wear clothes that flap and catch, and shoes that can slip off the pedals. Worse, they ride along in the gutter where they can’t be seen. Ye Gods!

Further, every cyclist who jumps a red light simply hardens the attitude of motorists against us. Swerving round pedestrians on crossings doesn’t help us either.

It is very very sad when someone gets killed, however, the way some people ride my only surprise is that there are not many more fatalities.

It is true that vehicles have a duty of care towards more vulnerable road users, however, vulnerable road users also have a duty – to behave in a reasonable and responsible manner and to mitigate their damage/losses.

Flame away!

rewski
    Free Member

I feel a protest coming on

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I appreciate my view may be unpopular, but here goes anyway…

I am a regular long-term cycle commuter. Every day I observe cyclists pull out of side roads without looking, change lanes without looking or indicating, and they ride up the nearside of vehicles when the vehicle is indicating to turn left (FFS! what has a lorry driver got to do? They indicate, they have audible warning, and yet idiots STILL try to pass on the nearside).

People ride along with earphones in, completely oblivious to what’s going on around them, distracted by whatever they are listening to and cut off from their surroundings. Crazy.

They fiddle around with whatever’s in their front basket, wear clothes that flap and catch, and shoes that can slip off the pedals. Worse, they ride along in the gutter where they can’t be seen. Ye Gods!

Further, every cyclist who jumps a red light simply hardens the attitude of motorists against us. Swerving round pedestrians on crossings doesn’t help us either.

It is very very sad when someone gets killed, however, the way some people ride my only surprise is that there are not many more fatalities.

It is true that vehicles have a duty of care towards more vulnerable road users, however, vulnerable road users also have a duty – to behave in a reasonable and responsible manner and to mitigate their damage/losses.

Hear, hear!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

2010: 10 deaths, 4 involved HGVs
    2011: 16 deaths, 12 involved HGVs
    2012: 14 deaths, 5 involved HGVs
    2013: 12 deaths, 8 involved HGVs

source

bencooper
    Free Member

Flame away!

Okay. There’s no evidence that the cyclists killed were doing any of those things, and to suggest that the cyclists were at fault when there’s no evidence is offensive to them and their families.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ben, equally to automatically suggest that the cyclists drivers were at fault when there’s no evidence is offensive to them and their families.

Everyone on the roads needs to take more care.

lightman
    Free Member

I agree with what Karin has said, apart from the stupid earphone comment. You are basically saying that deaf people shouldn’t be allowed to cycle!
    People are going to be/act stupid with or without earphones in.

There are a lot of bad cyclists out there and there are a lot of bad drivers, but its always going to be the driver that ends up winning in any accident.

As cyclists, we need to be aware of what is going on around us at all times, not just when we are about to make a manoeuvre.

LHS
    Free Member

I agree with a lot of the points above, I commute regularly in London via car and everyday I see so many illegal and dangerous moves by cyclists that I can’t help think why more aren’t killed each day.

There are bad motorists and bad cyclists and in my personal view, standards in both are getting a lot worse.

kimbers

there are bad cyclists but the earphone comment is just stupid!

bearnecessities

apart from the stupid earphone comment. You are basically saying that deaf people shouldn’t be allowed to cycle!

…and here we go.

mrmo
    Free Member

Ben, equally to automatically suggest that the cyclists drivers were at fault when there’s no evidence is offensive to them and their families.

Most studies point the finger at blame massively towards drivers. SO to say it is probably drivers that caused these accidents is a reasonable first suspicion.

The reality is that we all know cyclists are red light jumping, lycra wearing, vegan, anarchists and get what they deserve!!!!

zippykona

One of the motorbike mags used to analyse accidents and come up with ways (if any) to prevent them. Might be an interesting exercise to do on here.
    We assume that most cyclists are enthusiasts like us.
    They are just as likely to be the idiot with no lights, riding no hands on the pavement who then swerves onto road like the person I encountered last night.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I have just come out of a very interesting meeting with the CTC, discussing their Road Justice Campaign

Well worth a read – and a sign of the petition, calling for all police forces to take investigation of all collisions seriously. It also calls for more appropriate sentencing and clearer definitions of careless as opposed to dangerous driving.

Investigating incidents properly and identifying the cause will invariably show it is not always the drivers at fault – but in doing so will hopefully highlight the need for better rider training.

One thing i hadn’t realised is that victims of careless driving do not come under the victims support code and irrespective of overall physical injury are not entitled to have details of their case or be kept up to date with any proceedings.

One chap asked to find out why his case wasn’t being continued as all he has was a letter stating the CPS weren’t going to run with it – he eventually found out he could get the information – when he paid £84 for it!

Things need to change – and hopefully people will see this is a campaign to get a fairer system for everyone

LHS
    Free Member

Most studies point the finger at blame massively towards drivers

Source?

mrmo
    Free Member

I agree with a lot of the points above, I commute regularly in London via car and everyday I see so many illegal and dangerous moves by cyclists that I can’t help think why more aren’t killed each day.

There are bad motorists and bad cyclists and in my personal view, standards in both are getting a lot worse.

everytime i drive in London i am shocked by the standard of driving, it seems the rules are optional for ALL ROAD USERS! I spend a lot of time cycling the roads of the cotswolds and devon, and it is the London plated cars that are the worst…. make of that what you will.

creedy
    Free Member

I posted regards this on the other thread.
    i see all that karin put down but added that in most of these cases so far there has been no blame attached to anyone yet. the main issue is Big things and little things dont mix on the roads well.
    The bow roundabout looks like it needs a serious redesign.

aP
    Free Member

bencooper +1million
    Words fail me when people on a cycling forum are attacking other cyclists for cycling on roads. Yes, some people do things wrong, others don’t. There’s a very famous rule called the 80:20 rule, I’m sure it applies here.
    The evidence points without any question towards HGVs and tipper trucks being the single most dangerous vehicles on London roads.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Ben, equally to automatically suggest that the drivers were at fault when there’s no evidence is offensive to them and their families.

It’s much more likely though – between 68% and 80% of cycle/motor vehicle collisions fault of driver and that’s research from the legendarily pro-car Westminster council

ddmonkey

I agree with the earphone comment – you need to engage with your surroundings as much as possible, situational awareness. Playing music in your ears is dulling one on your key senses.

Karinofnine

There’s little evidence to support either position.

What I’ve said IS hard to hear, but it’s the truth, and the truth could just possibly save other lives.

A hard-hitting advertising campaign showing a cyclist being crushed by a lorry would do far more for safety than pussyfooting around being respectful to the dead and trying to spare people’s hurt feelings.

ton

Karinofnine, very well said.

ninfan
    Free Member

Well said Kof9

Maybe if the CTC feel so strongly that the police/CPS aren’t doing their job they should start taking out some private prosecutions against drivers instead of just complaining constantly?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Further, every cyclist who jumps a red light simply hardens the attitude of motorists against us.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/shafted-again.html

You know what? **** that. The writer does make some good and sensible observations in this piece, but this little “proposal” obviates every single one of them. It’s impossible, and in fact downright stupid, to “obey the letter of the law” on your bicycle when you find yourself in a situation where the streets and the laws are designed specifically for cars, which describes most of the United States. Moreover, it’s gone way, way past the point where cyclists should need to prove to the very people who are **** us (that’s drivers and police officers) that we “deserve respect.” We deserve respect for being human, and it ends there. Yet we’re supposed to be good little boy scouts and girl scouts–even when it’s more dangerous for us to do so–to prove we’re deserving of not being killed? That’s just stupid and insulting.

This op-ed reads like a homophobe defending gay marriage, but saying that homosexuals should “act less faggy” in order to earn the respect of straight people.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

A hard-hitting advertising campaign showing a cyclist being crushed by a lorry would do far more for safety than pussyfooting around being respectful to the dead and trying to spare people’s hurt feelings

I don’t believe it would because every driver believes they are highly skilled and ‘it will never happen to them’. The reason juries almost always fail to convict on ‘dangerous driving’ charges is they can imagine driving in the same way themselves.

rewski
    Free Member

and it is the London plated cars that are the worst…. make of that what you will

tosh, that’s what I make of that, most humans are idiots, even in the Cotswolds.

amedias
    Free Member

I am a regular long-term cycle commuter. Every day I observe cyclists pull out of side roads without looking, change lanes without looking or indicating,

I am also a long-term cycle commuter, everyday I observe many more drivers than cyclists, pulling out of side roads without looking, change lanes without looking or indicating, and the big difference is the driver is in control of a ton or more of metal.

and they ride up the nearside of vehicles when the vehicle is indicating to turn left (FFS! what has a lorry driver got to do? They indicate, they have audible warning, and yet idiots STILL try to pass on the nearside).

I do occasionally see this too, but not all that frequently if I’m honest, and I really do believe that most of this is down to them just not realising the danger they’re putting themselves in rather than a deliberate attempt to kill themselves.

People ride along with earphones in, completely oblivious to what’s going on around them, distracted by whatever they are listening to and cut off from

their surroundings. Crazy.

Well… there’s a certain amount of debate to be had here, deaf people, wind noise vs music, volume of music etc, not to mention them still probably being able to hear more than the car drivers can inside the car, but we’ll skip over this one or save it for another thread?

They fiddle around with whatever’s in their front basket, wear clothes that flap and catch, and shoes that can slip off the pedals.

Most of the cyclists I see are normally concentrating on ridign their bike, the only fiddling with stuff I ever see is when stopped at lights, maybe a location thing though? Clothes comments are a bit odd… are you suggesting some kind of recommended cycling uniform? Other countries seem to get by just fine with people wearing normal everyday clothes to ride a bike.

Both of these p155 me right off when I see them, however, I genuinely see more cars jumping red lights and crossing than cyclists round here, so my theory is it’s ‘people’ that do this regardless of their mode of transport, some will just do this, see comment about tons of metal above ^

it is, it really really is, very sad indeed, I just wish our reaction was more around what we can do to improve rather than finger pointing and blame gaming. my surprise is that we don’t (as a nation/public) get more upset and angry about them and try to do something about it.

agreed, BUT there is no evidence any of the people killed here were not doing absolutely everything they could have been to stay safe, the bad ones are the minority of cyclists, and the cyclists are a minority of road users, and a minority of a minority is a very small number, don’t tar us all with the actions of so few, and there’s still this elephant in the room of certain vehicles just not being suited to busy urban environments, no matter how careful everyone is.

consider yourself flamed gently warmed 🙂

You do make some good points though but I think the reason so many people get grumpy when they are raised is the tone, we need less blame, more awareness/help.

That, and the fact that we do get so frustrated that these same arguments get trotted out all the time when it really really is a small, but more visible, group of people we are talking about.

You always hear the anecdote about the cyclist that jumps the lights or weaves all over the road listening to their ipod, never about the other 100 that also rode that same route safely and without incident.

huws
    Free Member

way some people ride my only surprise is that there are not many more fatalities

I see so many illegal and dangerous moves by cyclists that I can’t help think why more aren’t killed each day

This has been said twice* and agreed with a few times but the death and serious injury rates are still very low so it would suggest that those moves only appear to be dangerous and aren’t actually that dangerous.

*Not a particularly large sample but hey ho you work with the data you have to hand.

Ps. I’m not condoning doing stupid things that may or may not be dangerous, I’m suggesting that cycling on London’s congested roads is generally quite safe.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Road Justice

Please take a look at this CTC campaign – it really does make a lot of sense

scu98rkr
    Free Member

There are a lot of bad cyclists out there and there are a lot of bad drivers, but its always going to be the driver that ends up winning in any accident.

This is just old school thinking. It like saying some people just had to die working down the mines or deaths on oil rigs are just collateral.

Your never going to make every driver/cyclist perfect. We need to be working towards improving safety. An easy way to start would be to redesign lorrys to give the driver a better view. This would mean the lorry drivers would make few mistakes. Also item in cities should be carried in as small as vehicles as possible. I cant see why both drivers + cyclist would nt be in favour of safer vehicles.

The next step is some decent cycling infrastructure.

fasthaggis

Karen
    Sadly,a lot of that is true for most city commutes .

When I read some of that other thread about things that have changed you as a cyclist,my first thought was – 10 years commuting in London-( Essex road anyone 🙄 ) .
    The thing that changed me ,was realizing that ( unless there was some massive infrastructure put in place) all my shouting and angry man stuff at other road users was a waste of time ,as there would be more along next week,doing the same old same.
    So when things did happen ,I would try to let it go more often .I also found ways to avoid a lot of the aggro by changing routes and times that I cycled.
    It would be interesting to know how much bike tuition courses have increased in cities or if there is still the “ah it’s only a pushbike,how hard can it me?” kinda thinking ,and folk just go for it.

Of course ,commuting on country roads ,where traffic is moving around a lot quicker ,now brings a whole different style of thinking and riding. 😯

Pigface
    Free Member

Bring back cycling proficiency training in schools

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

it never went away

http://bikeability.dft.gov.uk/

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Why ? Where has this got us cycling has been on the decrease for the last 70 years.

Although ur quote may be sarcasm.

Karinofnine

The next step is teaching drivers and cyclists to share roads.

I’m not sold on segregation – I think for A and trunk roads it would be better to have a separate bike path, properly separated by a physical barrier, properly lit, swept and surfaced. However, in towns which were built long ago (ie most) there isn’t enough room.

I think that segregation encourages motorists to believe that the roads are ‘theirs’. That’s my personal opinion and I understand there are good arguments for and against.

Re deaf people. FFS. I’m sure deaf people rely on other senses to keep up good observations when cycling.

And no, it isn’t ‘old school thinking’ – you have to take responsibility for your own actions.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘4 cyclists killed in 8 day in London’ is closed to new replies.